Date: 01-05-24  Time: 18:31 pm

Author Topic: Frank Thomas  (Read 2065 times)

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
Frank Thomas
« on: 31 March 2017, 05:59:49 pm »
We've all (well most of us) been around long enough to remember the junk they sold in the 80's-90's what do you think of the latest gear?

Complete fabrication, I didn't make it up!

Freck

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Triumph Daytona 955, BMW R9T
    • View Profile
Re: Frank Thomas
« Reply #1 on: 31 March 2017, 07:43:25 pm »
It seems much better quality these days.
I bought some leather jeans recently which seem pretty good, and fit my skinny chicken legs pretty well.  :lol

Nemesis

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 March 2017, 07:59:49 pm »
Kitted the missus out all for under 500 quid, pictures to follow sometime :lol , when I get the chance, lol

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 March 2017, 08:34:25 pm »
I got one of their fabric jackets a few years back, it looked ok wasn't up to much to be honest. Also got one of their flip front helmets as a spare, I picked it up cheap and it's actually a decent lid.
The  J & S bike chain always have plenty of their stuff on sale if anyone's interested.

https://www.jsaccessories.co.uk/
« Last Edit: 31 March 2017, 08:36:01 pm by celticdog »
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 March 2017, 09:58:19 pm »
Went to J&S today and was pretty impressed with the Dynamic jacket, for two reasons, one, it look pretty well put together, nice large panels and no crappy leather anywhere (seen worse on some jackets twice the price) And two, it fitted.

I was looking at RST but I'm not sure what bloody shape their average rider is, certainly not human.

Was offered 10% off without to much haggling, think I'll go and take him up on the offer

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 April 2017, 07:47:45 am »
I have some ft summer gloves, xti or something, they are excellent.

If only you could get the acid worm colours ey :)
Intentionally left blank

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 April 2017, 10:51:27 am »
I bought Frank Thomas Defender jacket and jeans in the early 90's.  It was decent stuff.  Lasted me a good 15 years.

Now got made to measure Scott leathers.  Which is top notch stuff at a very fair price.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 April 2017, 03:08:28 pm »
I can't say what their stuff is like now, but the original H20 boots I had in the late 80s were excellent... really good quality leather which was sealed properly to keep the rain out without the need for these fancy semi-permeable membranes which have never lasted me very long.

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 April 2017, 08:45:35 pm »
Personally I didn't rate their early gear, not that I had a bad experience with jackets etc but I read a very imformative article on what to check and look for when buying leather jackets and jeans and tbh, many, if not all of the build quality issues and bad design could be found in their clothing range. 

One example would be elbow pads, the jacket would have a nice large patch on the outside, which would be great if only they hadn't cut out a section of the sleeve (under the patch) to use for trim on other parts of the jacket basically leaving you with a weak point on the elbow for the sake of saving a few pennies.

I would stick my hand up the sleeve and if I couldn't pull two piece's of leather apart I'd walk away.

They weren't the only companies cost cutting like this but it and a few other issues were enough to put me off purchasing their equipment.

Armed with the info from that article I never paid much for my leathers but I also never had one fall apart in a crash or general use, I may have just been lucky but I like to think my choices took some of the luck out of the equation.

Anyway, back to the Dynamic jacket, I've brought it and the only thing that worries me about it is keeping the non leather parts clean. Stretch panels full length of the sleeve are going to get smothered in dead flies, but I guess if thats the worst of my problems with the jacket I've made a fair purchase

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 April 2017, 11:55:10 pm »
Personally I didn't rate their early gear, not that I had a bad experience with jackets etc but I read a very imformative article on what to check and look for when buying leather jackets and jeans and tbh, many, if not all of the build quality issues and bad design could be found in their clothing range. 

One example would be elbow pads, the jacket would have a nice large patch on the outside, which would be great if only they hadn't cut out a section of the sleeve (under the patch) to use for trim on other parts of the jacket basically leaving you with a weak point on the elbow for the sake of saving a few pennies.

I would stick my hand up the sleeve and if I couldn't pull two piece's of leather apart I'd walk away.

They weren't the only companies cost cutting like this but it and a few other issues were enough to put me off purchasing their equipment.

Armed with the info from that article I never paid much for my leathers but I also never had one fall apart in a crash or general use, I may have just been lucky but I like to think my choices took some of the luck out of the equation.

Anyway, back to the Dynamic jacket, I've brought it and the only thing that worries me about it is keeping the non leather parts clean. Stretch panels full length of the sleeve are going to get smothered in dead flies, but I guess if thats the worst of my problems with the jacket I've made a fair purchase

I think you've done well Joe, if only I could find a decent replacement for my old rhino leather jacket wot don't fit me anymore/
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 April 2017, 11:00:52 am »
i would be interested in hearing your full report because i could do with a jacket that is a bit cooler for summer riding
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07 April 2017, 01:49:08 am »
Yes Mr Fazer it's fukc3d. :lol
Doesn't mean it's finished though!

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07 April 2017, 01:45:36 pm »
So are they still being made or is it as I read once the stock is gone then thats it.
I tried on a Fran Thomas GP Qualifier jacket that I quite liked.

Same gos for BKS then as the only place you can get them is J and S. In both cases it means you can not go searching for a better price.
I quite like the BKS Lynx Jacket mainly in white

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07 April 2017, 03:21:19 pm »
The salesman said they own the brand and they were having it manufactured in Pakistan, also to insure quality they sent techs out there to check production. He also mentioned RST aiming at the high end market, expect prices to rise to Alpine Star etc levels. May be the end of the brand.
As for the dynamic jacket, still not worn it due to my ongoing carb rebuild

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 07 April 2017, 03:59:16 pm »
I have some Frank Thomas leathers and although they are great, they don't fit me anymore.  :(

I guess I should bite the bullet and sell them. I only wore them once. I'm 6'2" and got them about 4years ago when I was 14stone. I got them with the intention of doing track days... but I've never got around to it. They were a little too tight for me then... and now I'm about 16stone!!!

Size.
UK 44
Euro 54

Would suit someone 5ft6 to 6ft1. As new, hardly worn, although the stitching has come loose a bit around the crouch - easy fix!

£70 ONO, located in NW London. (Now added to the for sale section with more photos)

« Last Edit: 07 April 2017, 04:10:24 pm by Bretty »
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-