Date: 28-04-24  Time: 00:54 am

Author Topic: BREXIT  (Read 227551 times)

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Just for VNA a brexit thread
« Reply #1875 on: 27 January 2019, 10:40:15 pm »
That's why is said they were in your arguments AGAINST brexit ------ one too many of the yellow poison me thinks, stick another log on your croft farm open fire and another ice in your glass.
Stove actually.  Yes getting cold, more logs on!

Yes, yes, yes, silly me, of course.  The Tories will cancel numerous Labour laws, such as the working time directive etc etc, if we leave the EU.

I thought that France has even worse labour laws ? and yet you want to be closer to them and you want to harmonise our laws ever more with them by being in the EU. Who has said workers rights would be diminished by brexit. 
Wouldn't it be better for you and your trade union cause to be free of the EU and to be able to fully decide on our own laws/ legislation / workers rights that fully fits our needs. By remaining in the EU you are further away from getting what you want regarding workers rights I would of thought.

Hasn't the working time directive been agreed by the EU and we have to implement it ?. 
« Last Edit: 27 January 2019, 11:24:13 pm by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: 28 January 2019, 10:55:37 am »

Apparently there's neither the appetite nor anywhere near the numbers in Parliament to win a vote for a second referendum.

Looks like my prediction that they'd reverse the democratic decision is going to be incorrect. Thank goodness for that. I'll never have been so happy to be proved wrong :lol .

Hopefully with a few tweaks and a bit of cooperation from Brussels, May's deal will now get the approval of Parliament.

The Remainers to whom The EU is akin to a religous cult will be hoping and praying that the UK is totally destroyed economically in order to be be "proved right", but I reckon we'll be just fine :) .

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: 28 January 2019, 11:01:43 am »

I thought that France has even worse labour laws ? and yet you want to be closer to them and you want to harmonise our laws ever more with them by being in the EU. Who has said workers rights would be diminished by brexit. 

I am not expert on French Labour laws, but I would be very surprised if workers in France have even less rights than we have here in the UK.

Wouldn't it be better for you and your trade union cause to be free of the EU and to be able to fully decide on our own laws/ legislation / workers rights that fully fits our needs.
Our trade union cause.  Trade unions are for all.  Trade unions exist for the benefit of us all, including business.  The EU is the biggest single free trading market in the world.  It accounts for 25% of global GDP.  It’s on our door step.  We cannot afford to ignore it.  It’s pretty obvious that to have such a massive and open trade arrangement, without restriction and tariff, you have to then have common standards.  Trade Unionists are not by nature isolationist, we believe in rights for all, not just in the UK, not just across the EU, but ultimately common rights and standards across the globe. 
By remaining in the EU you are further away from getting what you want regarding workers rights I would of thought.
The dream of the Tory party is a zero hours low wage economy. 

Hasn't the working time directive been agreed by the EU and we have to implement it ?

We are the EU.  The policy was negotiated with and agreed by the UK along with all the other member states.  The EU is a democracy after all, and one which works on the principle of consensus.

The Tories will of course aim to scrap the working time directive all with all the other EU work place legislation.  Back in 2015 David Cameron tried to negotiate out of the working time directive.  Mr Cameron also tried to scrap laws granting agency workers the same pay and rights as full time employees.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: 28 January 2019, 11:16:51 am »

hopefully with a few tweaks and a bit of cooperation from Brussels, May's deal will now get the approval of Parliament.

I wouldn’t think so.  Remember what May’s deal is.  It simply removes us politically from the EU, but leaves us trading as before as part of the single market.  Effectively the end of march is the date the UK loses it’s sovereignty.  We will have to abide by EU rules but have no say whatsoever in them.  As Fazersharp says, the EU will decide and we will have to implement.  We will no longer be the rule makers, we will simply become rule takers. 

This is a withdrawal agreement.  It allows a 2 year period in which to negotiate BREXIT.  Ie to negotiate our future relationship and trading terms with the EU.  It’s when the real fun starts.  This is just the warm up.

The backstop is there to hold us in a customs union of the negotiations fail, which of course they will.  The backstop is there to prevent a hard border being formed in Northern Ireland, and in doing so undermining the Good Friday Agreement, which could undermine peace in Ireland and the UK.

May’s deal will also most likely trigger a second Scottish Independence Referendum, Nicola Sturgeon will not be able to hold back the bulk of the SNP membership keen to rush into a second ballot.  So the UK will be left negotiating it’s exit from the EU whilst there is a second Scottish Referendum to decide the actual future of the United Kingdom.

May’s deal is a fucking mess.  We need to move rapidly to a settled position.  Not kick the ball down the road again.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: 28 January 2019, 11:32:17 am »

The dream of the Tory party is a zero hours low wage economy. 

Hasn't the working time directive been agreed by the EU and we have to implement it ?

We are the EU. The policy was negotiated with and agreed by the UK along with all the other member states.  The EU is a democracy after all, and one which works on the principle of consensus.

The Tories will of course aim to scrap the working time directive all with all the other EU work place legislation.  Back in 2015 David Cameron tried to negotiate out of the working time directive. Mr Cameron also tried to scrap laws granting agency workers the same pay and rights as full time employees.

So by those two statements you have backed up what the brexiters have been saying all along about the EU. You say that  "The policy was negotiated with and agreed by the UK" but clearly the UK government did not fully agree with it but still we had to implement it ---- just like many of the other UK legislations that you like to point out were agreed by the UK when brexiteers say we dont like the EU legislation. Proof that we did not fully agree with it in your next sentence "Back in 2015 David Cameron tried to negotiate out of the working time directive." . Also brexiters have been saying that you can not negotiate with the EU as you have demonstrated.If you don't like the Tories then stop voting for them - I believe the phrase is

Quote from: VNA

The people get the government they deserve. 
So I would say that if you want change then its easier to vote for and change a single countries government than it is to change their "Excellencies" in the EU 
« Last Edit: 28 January 2019, 11:36:47 am by fazersharp »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: 28 January 2019, 11:45:09 am »
We will have to abide by EU rules but have no say whatsoever in them.

Like we do now -- this is what leavers have been saying when the remainers say we will have no say in EU laws if we leave. We don't have an effective say now and don't quote our veto because to my knowledge it has never been used.
We will no longer be the rule makers, we will simply become rule takers. 
its a fallacy to think that within the EU we are the rule makers to any degree that suits our needs
Better for a clean break, keep the 39 Billion, and negotiate what we need from that position.
« Last Edit: 28 January 2019, 11:48:05 am by fazersharp »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: 28 January 2019, 11:53:02 am »
   Trade Unionists are not by nature isolationist, we believe in rights for all, not just in the UK, not just across the EU, but ultimately common rights and standards across the globe. 

The whole of the EU is an  isolationist, protectionist racket that is destroying Countries like Africa with its tariffs - how does that fit in with your rights for all across the globe.
The more you say the the clearer it sounds that you should of voted to the LEAVE the EU
« Last Edit: 28 January 2019, 11:54:25 am by fazersharp »

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: 28 January 2019, 11:53:41 am »

You say that  "The policy was negotiated with and agreed by the UK" but clearly the UK government did not fully agree with it but still we had to implement it ---- just like many of the other UK legislations that you like to point out were agreed by the UK when brexiteers say we dont like the EU legislation. Proof that we did not fully agree with it in your next sentence "Back in 2015 David Cameron tried to negotiate out of the working time directive." . Also brexiters have been saying that you can not negotiate with the EU as you have demonstrated.If you don't like the Tories then stop voting for them - I believe the phrase is

Which brings me back to, what is the EU legislation that you object to?

But you don’t know.

The reality is that you cannot have a open free trade market across 28 countries without common rules and standards.

The reality is that if we break from those rules and standards then we face tariffs and restrictions.  That is tariffs and restrictions in trading with our immediate neighbours.  We will become poorer if we leave the EU.

You say you want to agree free trade deals around the globe.  That means agreeing terms and common standards country by country around the globe.  I will tell you now.  It will take years per deal, and after years of agreeing a deal, you cannot then come back a year later and say – well actually we have changed our minds – we want a better deal – and oh we don’t like that bit etc etc.  Based on your logic the UK will not be able to sign off one single free trade deal.

The EU employment legislation is good legislation.  The Tories are anti-working class, anti-trade union, anti-minimum wage, anti-living wage, for low wages, for a hire an fire culture, for zero hours, in favour of food banks and in work benefits.  So no the Tories don’t like workers rights.

As I said before you don’t know what you want, but you know how to get it.

« Last Edit: 28 January 2019, 11:58:27 am by VNA »

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: 28 January 2019, 11:55:38 am »

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: 28 January 2019, 11:57:18 am »
Less industry.Less jobs.More inequality.More poverty.More food banks.
You might not know what you want, but I can tell you what you are going to get.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: 28 January 2019, 12:00:56 pm »
Ach well, as oor country continues to slide towards recession, well why not have a giggle;

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: 28 January 2019, 12:05:42 pm »
What's the point of a minimum wage of £50 per hour if it means we have to pay £20 for a can of coke.

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: 28 January 2019, 12:06:50 pm »
ive honestly yet to see an anti Brexit cartoon thats actually funny lol. now this on the other hand...

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: 28 January 2019, 12:39:16 pm »
ive honestly yet to see an anti Brexit cartoon thats actually funny lol. now this on the other hand...

.jxr  Now that a (image) file extension you don't come across every day, and limited programmes that can open it.
Good old Microsoft.    :pokefun

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: 28 January 2019, 01:00:41 pm »
Mtread was pointing out the companies leaving and I asked why they came in the first place and he said because of slack labour laws so if you maintain that labour laws will be slacker after brexit then proof that they will not be is that the companies are choosing to leave that first came here because of slack laws.     
It wasn't a statement. I posed it as a question, which you obviously or conveniently missed!
Quite clearly the main reason they are in the UK is because of our custom union and single market membership. Both of which you want us to lose.
So here's the new tactic -

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #1890 on: 28 January 2019, 01:05:53 pm »
Nice one!
Problem solved.  They probably won't notice as they dunno what they want.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #1891 on: 28 January 2019, 01:11:44 pm »
I never download files form forums, sorry.  But how about this.  Made me chuckle. :lol

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: 28 January 2019, 01:25:37 pm »
Mtread was pointing out the companies leaving and I asked why they came in the first place and he said because of slack labour laws so if you maintain that labour laws will be slacker after brexit then proof that they will not be is that the companies are choosing to leave that first came here because of slack laws.     

Quite clearly the main reason they are in the UK is because of our custom union and single market membership. Both of which you want us to lose.

But why choose the uk over any other countries. If it was not because our laws are slacker than the rest of the EU then what was it that made them choose us over anywhere else.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: 28 January 2019, 02:50:17 pm »
But why choose the uk over any other countries.
All you need to know is that if we are outside of the single market and the customs union they will leave.
Previously they were stuck with quotas and tarriffs. 

Then there are parts issues.  Take BMW's mini crankshaft,
A cast of the raw crankshaft – the part of the car that translates the movement of the pistons into the rotational motion required to move the vehicle – is made by a supplier based in France.
From there it is shipped to BMW’s Hams Hall plant in Warwickshire, where it is drilled and milled into shape. When that job is complete, each crankshaft is then sent back across the Channel to Munich, where it inserted into the engine.
From Munich, it is back to the Mini plant in Oxford, where the engine is then “married” with the car.
If the car is to be sold on the continent then the crankshaft, inside the finished motor, will cross the Channel for a fourth time.
   https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/mar/03/brexit-uk-car-industry-mini-britain-eu

The reality is that if we leave without either a single market commitment or a customs union then they will leave.  They must have quota free and tariff free access to the whole EU market, and the whole of their manufacturing process must be within the EU.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: 28 January 2019, 03:56:43 pm »
Same with the Triumph factory in Hinckley. Crankshaft blanks made in Spain, finished in Hinckley. Petrol tanks made in Italy, painted in Hinckley. Etc etc.
Bikes crated up complete and shipped to the EU.
All dependent on free movement and tariff free.

BTW have you seen the new Rocket 3?  :)

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: 28 January 2019, 04:36:02 pm »
Same with the Triumph factory in Hinckley. Crankshaft blanks made in Spain, finished in Hinckley. Petrol tanks made in Italy, painted in Hinckley. Etc etc.
Bikes crated up complete and shipped to the EU.
All dependent on free movement and tariff free.

Plus consider all the major manufacturers across the EU using components manufactured or finished in the UK.  Again, they need the single market, outside of it, and well they will look for other suppliers.

The truth will always be there is no deal better than the deal we already have.  Even Theresa May knows that.
BREXIT at the end of the day is an exercise in self harm.

BTW have you seen the new Rocket 3?  :)

Hmmm, not my kinda thing.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: 28 January 2019, 05:40:32 pm »
More on the mini crankshaft;
The crankshaft of the BMW Mini, which is the bit which transmits the power of the engine to the wheels, crosses the English Channel three times while the car is being made. It is cast in France; it goes to a plant in Warwickshire to be milled and finished. It is then shipped to BMW’s plant in Germany where the engine is assembled and comes back as part of that whole unit to be fitted into the car at the BMW plant near Oxford. When it is exported to Europe, as very many of these cars are, it crosses the Channel for a fourth time.

This is the reality of modern sophisticated manufacturing. Three channel crossings is actually quite modest for a component. Some go back and forth much more.

You could tell a similar story about Bentley, Jaguar Land Rover or about the wings of the Airbus aircraft which are made here (though the plane as a whole is assembled in Toulouse) about much of the output of Rolls-Royce or Bae Systems, the pillar of the UK defence industry.

We don’t have nearly enough world-class manufacturing to support our exports, but what we do have is heavily dependent on key components from the rest of the European Union. This business arrangement becomes totally uneconomic if we do not continue to have free trade but instead had to pay the common EU tariff of 10%. Most of the components industry operates on a profit margin of between 5% and 10% so it would become unprofitable overnight.

And if a supplier upped prices to compensate for the tariff it would be uncompetitive. There would also be a huge additional cost in time and paperwork because the component would be subject to customs checks each time it crossed the border.

Nissan’s Sunderland car plant produces two cars a minute and uses upwards of five million components a day on its production line. The whole exercise is done on a just-in-time basis, parts are not stored in warehouses, they go straight in their container to the position on the production line where they are needed. More crucially, to avoid congestion, they have to arrive hours and sometimes minutes before they are needed. So any delay at customs on any of the five million components, almost as trivial as an official coming late back from lunch or leaving early to collect his or her child from school, could easily bring production to a halt.

Because this has the potential to destroy the profitability of the British car industry, there is brave talk about getting the components suppliers to set up plants in the UK, and the Government at one point seemed willing to subsidise such a move with taxpayers’ money. From a business point of view though it does not make sense. If more than half the components come from overseas, which they do, then it is cheaper and simpler to move the assembly factory out of Britain, not the component suppliers here.

And that is not the only problem: a detailed investigation this year by The Guardian reported that only 41% of what goes into the cars made in Britain is sourced here. This complicates the trade deals which are supposed to provide an alternative to the EU when we leave because these normally demand that what we export is in fact made in this country.

This is to prevent the UK trade deal being used as a Trojan horse by every other nation which could otherwise funnel their exports through us to gain access to these other markets. Thus the “rules of origin” for the EU’s deal with South Korea says specifically that 55% of the car parts must be sourced locally to qualify for free trade. A similar deal between us and South Korea would mean none of our cars were eligible.

Given cars are one of the few products we do export, this presents a bit of a challenge for International Trade Secretary Liam Fox and his department, which supposedly exists to make the deals on which Britain’s future will depend. Some wag suggested the grand plan was to take the other side out to lunch and persuade them to pretend that the EU counts as part of the UK in terms of sourcing. Why the other side would want to do this or accept it is less clear.

The brutal fact is that if we lose tariff-free access to the single market it will be disastrous for luxury British manufacturing.

Business knows this; the EU knows this; the rest of the world knows this — which is why so many of them have shelved all future plans to invest in the UK. But does the Government get it? Prime Minister Theresa May does not seem to but that is probably because she has spent the past 12 months refusing to talk to anyone who does not already agree with her and share her Fifties worldview.

In contrast, the ministers more closely involved with Brexit probably do get it, but don’t care or don’t want to admit it, because pointing out any of the disastrous consequences of Brexit will scupper their chances of being the next leader of the Conservative party.

This is the real reason business leaders have such withering contempt for the Government and are in despair about the future of business in the next few years, however cheerful they try to appear in public.

It takes more than last week’s publicity stunt of a meeting in Chevening to make a lasting impression on a Government where too many ministers appear willing to put self-interest and party interest before the national interest.
   https://www.standard.co.uk/business/anthony-hilton-why-brexit-will-sink-the-uk-s-car-industry-a3587236.html

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: 28 January 2019, 06:45:28 pm »
So here's a question for the Brexiteers.
If Parliament decides to pass a 'Norway style' deal, where the whole UK stays in the Customs Union and Single Market, but formally leaves the EU (and  makes lower £ contributions) - is that preferable to staying as an EU full member?

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: 28 January 2019, 08:23:37 pm »

So why did they choose the UK over any other EU state in the first place.
The key thing for them was unrestricted single market access.  No more import restrictions and no more tariffs.  Other manufactures of course have chosen other EU countries.

I don’t know precisely why they choose the UK, but I certainly welcome it.  I do know we had skilled workers, and plenty of people in general looking for work.  I would guess there would be government incentives.  The stability of the pound would be attractive, and despite exporting much of the produce the strength of the pound, as a high proportion of the components are imported.  Further the guarantee of single union agreements was key.

What the Japanese did prove though without a doubt, was the problem with the old UK manufacturers was the management, not the workforce.

But don’t think they are kidding when they say they will consider leaving if there is not a suitable BREXIT deal.  Leave they will.  And on top of the 10’s of thousands of jobs provided by these big manufacturers are 10’s of thousands of jobs in supporting industries.

What is strange is that remainers seem to rejoice if a company says they are moving and if that move is damaging then better it is in their eyes.
REMAINERS do not want to see these jobs go.  The BREXITEERS however don’t give a shit.  Read again the most optimistic of the very very few economists that think BREXIT is a good idea.  Professor Minford states quite clearly that in the event of a NO DEAL BREXIT wage inequality will increase and UK manufacturing will all but cease to exist.

What is strange is that remainers seem to rejoice if a company says they are moving and if that move is damaging then better it is in their eyes.

So again, it’s what you want.  The rest of us would like to keep our jobs and our wealth thanks.

Or as I am begining to feel, the BREXITEERS don't have a fucking clue what they want, but they sure as fuck know how to get it.

Well I'll be jiggered. Something we agree on  :lol . Keep up the good work :thumbup

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: 28 January 2019, 08:49:29 pm »
More on the mini crankshaft;
The crankshaft of the BMW Mini, which is the bit which transmits the power of the engine to the wheels, crosses the English Channel three times while the car is being made. It is cast in France; it goes to a plant in Warwickshire to be milled and finished. It is then shipped to BMW’s plant in Germany where the engine is assembled and comes back as part of that whole unit to be fitted into the car at the BMW plant near Oxford. When it is exported to Europe, as very many of these cars are, it crosses the Channel for a fourth time.

This is the reality of modern sophisticated manufacturing. Three channel crossings is actually quite modest for a component. Some go back and forth much more.

You could tell a similar story about Bentley, Jaguar Land Rover or about the wings of the Airbus aircraft which are made here (though the plane as a whole is assembled in Toulouse) about much of the output of Rolls-Royce or Bae Systems, the pillar of the UK defence industry.

We don’t have nearly enough world-class manufacturing to support our exports, but what we do have is heavily dependent on key components from the rest of the European Union. This business arrangement becomes totally uneconomic if we do not continue to have free trade but instead had to pay the common EU tariff of 10%. Most of the components industry operates on a profit margin of between 5% and 10% so it would become unprofitable overnight.

And if a supplier upped prices to compensate for the tariff it would be uncompetitive. There would also be a huge additional cost in time and paperwork because the component would be subject to customs checks each time it crossed the border.

Nissan’s Sunderland car plant produces two cars a minute and uses upwards of five million components a day on its production line. The whole exercise is done on a just-in-time basis, parts are not stored in warehouses, they go straight in their container to the position on the production line where they are needed. More crucially, to avoid congestion, they have to arrive hours and sometimes minutes before they are needed. So any delay at customs on any of the five million components, almost as trivial as an official coming late back from lunch or leaving early to collect his or her child from school, could easily bring production to a halt.

Because this has the potential to destroy the profitability of the British car industry, there is brave talk about getting the components suppliers to set up plants in the UK, and the Government at one point seemed willing to subsidise such a move with taxpayers’ money. From a business point of view though it does not make sense. If more than half the components come from overseas, which they do, then it is cheaper and simpler to move the assembly factory out of Britain, not the component suppliers here.

And that is not the only problem: a detailed investigation this year by The Guardian reported that only 41% of what goes into the cars made in Britain is sourced here. This complicates the trade deals which are supposed to provide an alternative to the EU when we leave because these normally demand that what we export is in fact made in this country.

This is to prevent the UK trade deal being used as a Trojan horse by every other nation which could otherwise funnel their exports through us to gain access to these other markets. Thus the “rules of origin” for the EU’s deal with South Korea says specifically that 55% of the car parts must be sourced locally to qualify for free trade. A similar deal between us and South Korea would mean none of our cars were eligible.

Given cars are one of the few products we do export, this presents a bit of a challenge for International Trade Secretary Liam Fox and his department, which supposedly exists to make the deals on which Britain’s future will depend. Some wag suggested the grand plan was to take the other side out to lunch and persuade them to pretend that the EU counts as part of the UK in terms of sourcing. Why the other side would want to do this or accept it is less clear.

The brutal fact is that if we lose tariff-free access to the single market it will be disastrous for luxury British manufacturing.

Business knows this; the EU knows this; the rest of the world knows this — which is why so many of them have shelved all future plans to invest in the UK. But does the Government get it? Prime Minister Theresa May does not seem to but that is probably because she has spent the past 12 months refusing to talk to anyone who does not already agree with her and share her Fifties worldview.

In contrast, the ministers more closely involved with Brexit probably do get it, but don’t care or don’t want to admit it, because pointing out any of the disastrous consequences of Brexit will scupper their chances of being the next leader of the Conservative party.

This is the real reason business leaders have such withering contempt for the Government and are in despair about the future of business in the next few years, however cheerful they try to appear in public.

It takes more than last week’s publicity stunt of a meeting in Chevening to make a lasting impression on a Government where too many ministers appear willing to put self-interest and party interest before the national interest.
   https://www.standard.co.uk/business/anthony-hilton-why-brexit-will-sink-the-uk-s-car-industry-a3587236.html

The Economics of the madhouse. No wonder the roads are congested, and the air filthy and killing people. Bless the Eu eh