Date: 19-04-24  Time: 23:09 pm

Author Topic: goop goof !  (Read 2320 times)

butthead

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - honda cbf1000
    • View Profile
goop goof !
« on: 16 March 2021, 12:36:34 pm »
this is one of those times you kind of know the answer but someone may have tried , so im going to ask anyway.

yesterday i thought id give this tyre sealant goop  a go.   the trouble with the product i found is that although the bottle of 500mls is marked you only need 250ml per tyre.  when the bottle has had time to settle the markings v product are clear to see, once you invert the bottle to use it , its as cloudy as mud and you cant be sure how much youve put in , even taking the bottle off to put the right way round doesnt help unless ( i know now ) you leave it a good 10 mins to settle and then you can see product V markings again.  so net result is i thought  oh ive probably but a bit more than  half in, valve back in and re pressurized the tyre and took it for a spin , only to find once back the product had settled to show i hadnt put nearly enough in.

in theory thats it , your fooked ! as you  cannot add more logic says attempting too will clog up the valve as if it were a leak etc and i dont know what chemically happens to the mix if you attempt it ?.

it might be possible to slowly let the air back out holding a towel over the valve ( be messy !)  replace the valve core with a new one and then top up with more product or the balance of expelled plus what didnt go in first time.

anyone done this successfully ?

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
Re: goop goof !
« Reply #1 on: 16 March 2021, 01:30:59 pm »
Goop is a cheap version of Slime.  Slime is a very hit and miss product at the best of times and it has a life span of approx 4 on the shelf and 2 years in the tyre.  Although it often doesn't last a year, mainly because the stuff been sitting on a self for a good few years.   There's also two types tubed and tubeless. 

It's a right pain to add the correct quantity, as you've found out.  Personally unless you're going touring in the wilds and you know recovery isn't really an option, it's got enough expiry date remaining, I wouldn't recommend it. 

Just get a quality repair kit, just you wait until you change the tyre, don't be surprised you get a bill for cleaning the mess!       
Later

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 March 2021, 01:58:32 pm »
My mechanic has never complained about having in my tyres before, although I'll always warn him and apologise beforehand.
I tend to put some in after I've done a plug, mainly if the tyre is half way through its life.
To be fair it has got me out of trouble a few times when I've seen screws in my tyre, and it's got me to a tyre shop with full air left in the tyre.
You'll never get anyone do a repair though, it's new tyre time.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

butthead

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - honda cbf1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 March 2021, 05:32:03 pm »
mm just been reading up on tyre sealants, this wasnt specific to goop but it was about slime and theyre basically the same thing or similar in how they work.   once installed they remain in liquid form until a puncture occurs then similar to how radweld works the bits within the sealant block the hole, it went on to say if you did need to deflate a treated tyre, to ensure that the valve was in the 12 o clock position as the liquid will now be at the bottom and then you can let the air out with much less mess and loss. probably good to also leave it in the 12 o clock position for a couple of mins to allow as much as possible to flow away from the valve and then deflate ,  the topic wasnt about adding more slime in this case but as this doesnt harden but remains liquid , it should be ok to add some more , probably best to fit a new valve core after though.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 March 2021, 08:58:06 pm »
My mechanic has never complained about having in my tyres before
Several of mine have.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 March 2021, 10:09:41 pm »
mm just been reading up on tyre sealants, this wasnt specific to goop but it was about slime and theyre basically the same thing or similar in how they work.   once installed they remain in liquid form until a puncture occurs then similar to how radweld works the bits within the sealant block the hole, it went on to say if you did need to deflate a treated tyre, to ensure that the valve was in the 12 o clock position as the liquid will now be at the bottom and then you can let the air out with much less mess and loss. probably good to also leave it in the 12 o clock position for a couple of mins to allow as much as possible to flow away from the valve and then deflate ,  the topic wasnt about adding more slime in this case but as this doesnt harden but remains liquid , it should be ok to add some more , probably best to fit a new valve core after though.

Half a bottle is nothing really in a tyre, but as you say if you need to take the valve out then the 12 o'clock position will work perfectly with no mess.

Be warned though, and this is from personal experience, put too much in and it will make your tyre go off balance.
Even a third of a bottle is enough for a bike tyre, so i wouldn't add any more.
« Last Edit: 16 March 2021, 10:10:46 pm by darrsi »

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 March 2021, 08:12:25 am »
My mechanic has never complained about having in my tyres before
Several of mine have.

One of the main reasons I stopped fitting tyres, it can be a real hassle cleaning the crap up  :evil [size=78%] [/size]
Later

butthead

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - honda cbf1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 March 2021, 12:33:16 pm »
yes Darrsi , ive decided to leave it with 1/3 in now because as you have experienced and i have read other experiences of too much in sending the tyre off balance.

I think it would be difficult to quantify what amount came out under pressure and therefore either miscalculating the amount to put in again, either way.  so its
best left alone now. if i ever used this again i know now that you really need to take time over the fill in the first place when you can really take your time with this , no need to rush it, be prepared to take the bottle on and off allow 10 mins to settle in between so you can more accurately determine how much youve actually put in. it looks when youre doing it youve put shit loads in , infact i thought whoa better stop there i might have over done it.  so you live and learn i know better for next time .   

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 March 2021, 09:27:19 pm »
The bottle has a window strip at the back to see the level?

butthead

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - honda cbf1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 March 2021, 12:43:02 pm »
The bottle has a window strip at the back to see the level?

yes it does have a window,  and it works perfectly when the bottle hasn't been inverted , which of course you have to do to put the stuff in, its full of cloudy crap that intentionally fills the puncture hole  but it also means once its stirred up ( inverted ) you cannot see , in real time ,how much you are putting in, you have to keep taking the bottle off , letting it settle 5 mins or so , see if your close ,  under , over and you need to do this multiple times otherwise as you have said yourself putting too much in send the wheel out of balance, kind of begs the question of how you managed to put too much in then if the viewing window is any good ? ,  it is, IF you put it in a little at a time ,then remove then let it settle so the window gives accuracy.[/size][size=78%] [/size]
[/size]it states exactly how much to put ,in per tyre, on the bottle.[size=78%]

[/size]you put too much in once[size=78%]

[/size]i put too little in [size=78%]

[/size]what i have done though, is successfully topped mine up by , leaving the valve at 12 o clock overnight , then i let the air out as slow as possible and actually lost no goop at all  in the process , and then ,this time, with small fills , taking time to let it settle , so i could read the window between small fills put in the correct amount now ![size=78%] :thumbup