Date: 28-03-24  Time: 13:31 pm

Author Topic: MY RATTLE IS FIXED  (Read 2225 times)

danmckie

• Cager in Training
  • dan mckie
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
MY RATTLE IS FIXED
« on: 07 March 2015, 09:44:01 pm »
so I've had my fazer for two years now been to the tt and everything on her and its all ways had a annoying rattle in the engine witch is sorted now.
I've done some reading about this issue and it seems to me over the years getting hot and cold the spring in the cam chain tensioner loses its springiness so will only ratchet so far.
I took the tensioner off as it was on the bike and the spring pushed the ratchet 10 clicks so I put it back on the engine got a screw driver and pushed it 10 clicks counting them carefully then very lightly pushing it 2 more clicks hay presto my engine has never sounded better hope this is a help to you.

wildchild74

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: MY RATTLE IS FIXED
« Reply #1 on: 09 March 2015, 09:53:03 pm »
Hi m8 would you or anyone know the correct procedure for as i got my carbs off at the mo and would like to check it while ive got access thanks
Gaz
Fazer 600 98

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 March 2015, 11:36:55 pm »
so I've had my fazer for two years now been to the tt and everything on her and its all ways had a annoying rattle in the engine witch is sorted now.
I've done some reading about this issue and it seems to me over the years getting hot and cold the spring in the cam chain tensioner loses its springiness so will only ratchet so far.
I took the tensioner off as it was on the bike and the spring pushed the ratchet 10 clicks so I put it back on the engine got a screw driver and pushed it 10 clicks counting them carefully then very lightly pushing it 2 more clicks hay presto my engine has never sounded better hope this is a help to you.

Brave man :eek

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 March 2015, 08:10:13 am »

Brave man :eek

Bit brave alright. If the chain has any tight spots in it forcing the tensioner on could be a bit risky. Snappy snappy. What mileage is on the bike?

Mick.P

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 March 2015, 09:05:56 pm »
Ran dragbike for years always used manual camchain tensioner.  Don't think you can get one for the 5dr but think I will mod a standard one. An extra click or two won't snap the chain if it's too tight you will hear it make a whistling sound as you rev the engine. Stock tensioner are always a compromise.

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 March 2015, 09:56:14 pm »
Mick, I have used them also, but if two clicks made it too tight he would have had to strip the whole thing back down to undo what he did.

Most people would not recognise a light whistle sound of a tight timing chain. I bought one for the 1000, but did not get around to fitting it yet

danmckie

• Cager in Training
  • dan mckie
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 March 2015, 10:24:30 pm »
im a bike mechanic by trade and also build race bikes for bsb and the tt for former Norton racer dan hegerty so ill take my chances folks two clicks is nothing on a old shit box like this ! I was thinking of buying a manual adjuster but there just not worth the money. if you do some research there's hundreds of fazers that rattle there well known for it and in one case a lad took his bike to fowlers for a new cam chain and pulleys and within 800 miles it was rattling again so yes ill take my chances. do what you wish with your own bike but this will in no way harm the engine and is some respects its probably better for it than a baggy chain whizzing around! two clicks of the ratchet system is a nats cock. cheers

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 March 2015, 10:54:55 pm »
Well at least you knew what you were doing, it did not sound like it from the first post  :)

Paulfzs

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - vtr 1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 March 2015, 11:52:31 pm »
well that escalated quickly.