Date: 20-05-24  Time: 12:16 pm

Author Topic: Hotgrip malfunction  (Read 1467 times)

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
Hotgrip malfunction
« on: 17 May 2014, 01:55:04 pm »
switched the hotgrips on this morning to find the throttle grip not heating up at all.  Have others had the same happen or is it a one off so to speak. I can't imagine there is a fix other than renewal but if there is, what is it?
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Hotgrip malfunction
« Reply #1 on: 17 May 2014, 02:25:48 pm »
Do you have bad circulation to require turning the grips on for such a glorious day!?
Some say...

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 May 2014, 02:35:03 pm »
Check the fuse first , mines in a plastic sleeve near the forks .

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 May 2014, 04:54:39 pm »
Do you have bad circulation to require turning the grips on for such a glorious day!?

Midden is always thinking........why be restricted to biker cafes for nosh.....

Hotgrip sausages on the go :b

Cut a frankfurter in half...

Place the halfs on the hotgrip....

Place 2 elastic bands over the franfurters to keep them in place....

Cook at hotgrip level 5 for approximately 20 minutes or until lukewarm.....place in a squashed bun....garnish with a stolen tomato sauce sachet. :D

« Last Edit: 17 May 2014, 04:56:32 pm by noggythenog »
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 May 2014, 04:58:04 pm »
Not so glorious early morning plus

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 May 2014, 05:28:16 am »

Midden is always thinking........why be restricted to biker cafes for nosh.....

Hotgrip sausages on the go :b

Cut a frankfurter in half...

Place the halfs on the hotgrip....

Place 2 elastic bands over the franfurters to keep them in place....

Cook at hotgrip level 5 for approximately 20 minutes or until lukewarm.....place in a squashed bun....garnish with a stolen tomato sauce sachet. :D

Mmmmm

Buzz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 May 2014, 10:54:02 am »
My right grip failed last year, 0 ohms resistance.  I thought there can't be a fault with the main heating wire that snakes up and down the grip as that's firstly pretty thick stuff and is also all glued in place, so it had to be something between where the wire enters the grip and that connection.  I very carefully cut down into the rubber of the grip, following the wire and lo and behold, there was a complete break in the wire about 1cm into the rubber.  I cut down a bit further to expose the break, resoldered, glued the cut shut with rubber glue and the grips are now working again.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 May 2014, 11:48:51 am »
My right grip failed last year, 0 ohms resistance.  I thought there can't be a fault with the main heating wire that snakes up and down the grip as that's firstly pretty thick stuff and is also all glued in place, so it had to be something between where the wire enters the grip and that connection.  I very carefully cut down into the rubber of the grip, following the wire and lo and behold, there was a complete break in the wire about 1cm into the rubber.  I cut down a bit further to expose the break, resoldered, glued the cut shut with rubber glue and the grips are now working again.
Cool, so there may be a weakness in the design then. Wonder how common it is.
The strange thing is it's happened after the MOT lad cable tied the wire to the bars
« Last Edit: 19 May 2014, 11:50:04 am by midden »

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 May 2014, 05:18:22 pm »
Are you sure it's not just the connector? Those Oxford push fit thingies are notorious for breaking the wires, inside or outside the connector. If you need replacements, Maplins do them, or you can find them cheaper on eBay

keithfzs1000

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 May 2014, 08:23:50 am »
cable tie could have bee too close to the connection and tto tight that its severed it or pulled it apart look there first
"Dont confuse my personality with my attitude My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are..."

Buzz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 May 2014, 10:02:18 am »
An easy way check if there are any breaks before/after the point of the cable tie is to use a couple of sewing needle with your multimeter.  Poke the needle though the rubber coating so it makes contact with the wire underneath then use the multimeter points on that... this means that you don't actually have to make a cut in the coating to expose the wire. Move the needles about on the live and return until you find the point of hidden break.  Unplug the grips first obviously!

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

chris.biker

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Hornet 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 May 2014, 05:30:56 pm »

As you will have proved your repair was successful, but I would have thought that a repair could change the resistance and so could be a hazard.