Date: 16-04-24  Time: 12:39 pm

Author Topic: exup rattle  (Read 4644 times)

breamcatcher

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Honda600hornet yamaha rd 125
    • View Profile
exup rattle
« on: 04 April 2012, 06:53:59 pm »
Hi everyone, got my bike back saturday repairs look good, they fitted the exup valve that i got with the set of r1 downpipes off a 2001 which have never been used  works great but there is a small rattle they are saying that the machined bush in the collector box has wear in it and i will need a set of new pipes is this right or is there something i can do. cheers Breamcatcher

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
Re: exup rattle
« Reply #1 on: 04 April 2012, 07:00:41 pm »
Yes, ignore it.  Wear earplugs. :)

If it really bugs you, wait 'til next time bike is off the road for a few weeks, take the bush out and get an engineering shop to machine you one up to original sizes.  Or a little oversize if you need a larger OD to account for wear in the header collector box.

mcyoungy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 April 2012, 07:09:51 pm »
You could buy new bushes - they're only £42 a piece  :eek

breamcatcher

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 April 2012, 07:16:18 pm »
Cheers falcon & mcyoungy, it really bugs me even with ear plugs in so i will go with the idea of new bushes lot cheaper than a set of pipes :)

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 April 2012, 10:40:03 am »
Mine's been machined as it was slightly bent, so it's now slightly loose & makes metallic 'plinking' noises (technical term).

Think of the rattle as adding 'character', as the price of fixing it properly could be eye-watering

mcyoungy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 April 2012, 11:05:15 am »
Like yer maun says ^^^^^^ if it's a bit of a rattle leave it alone. If you bugger the valve up fixing it then you're in for another couple of hundred quid. Ride it and ignore it.  :) 

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 April 2012, 05:28:53 pm »
Mines been rattling for years. 
Rattle started a few years back when the valve got stuck in the bush, which of course is stuck in the end cover as they usually are.  I tried to hammer it out, which didn't help, I just started spreading the end.  I had to take it into work and get it pressed out.  So ever since then there's been a bit of a rattle.  It still works fine several years later, and eventually you don't really notice the rattle.

alan09

• Brainless Foccer
    Foccin' Grumpy
  • Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 April 2012, 08:19:43 pm »
Breamcatcher excactly what size bush do you need i can probably get one turned for you

breamcatcher

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 April 2012, 11:05:55 pm »
Hi, i'm a little confused at this moment i know there is a small bush thats on the end of the arm shaft that is in perfect condition but ive been left to believe by the garage that this fits  into the collector box which is machined out and there isn't really a bush in there, if this is the case i,m not sure what to do, maybe a sleeve could be made but to measure something like that would be difficult. cheers Dave

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 April 2012, 11:33:58 pm »
Hi, i'm a little confused at this moment i know there is a small bush thats on the end of the arm shaft that is in perfect condition but ive been left to believe by the garage that this fits  into the collector box which is machined out and there isn't really a bush in there, if this is the case i,m not sure what to do, maybe a sleeve could be made but to measure something like that would be difficult. cheers Dave
there are 2 bushes/sleeves on the exup,one goes in the end cover and the other goes in the exhaust,i have a good bush from my exhaust as it sems the inner bush does not wear like the outer bush,if you are interested i may sell it as i fitted a new one to my bike

PaulSmith

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 April 2012, 04:44:51 pm »
Adjust your cables full tight then half turn loose. If it still rattles a bit after that then you can relax knowing you have done everything you can.