Date: 18-05-24  Time: 12:58 pm

Author Topic: oil drain plug - stuck !  (Read 14991 times)

Wilko

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Suzuki RF 400 and 600
    • View Profile
Re: oil drain plug - stuck !
« Reply #25 on: 16 June 2012, 01:12:45 am »
More people mistakenly overtighten fasteners "just to be on the safe side" than undertighten. Best to beg/borrow/steal a torque wrench particularly tightening steel into alloy. Mistakes can prove expensive. Please dont use agricultural techniques! :eek :lol
Never has a truer word been spoken. Whilst changing my rear brake pads a few days ago, I decided for the first time in ages to actaully torque the bolts to the right torque. I was amazed when tightening them with a normal ratchet I was already over the 40Nm required and had to back them off!!!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 16 June 2012, 01:54:43 am »
@fishwibbler

If you can't cope with a simple, and it is simple, oil change then you must work in I.T. ?

Tighten the bolt comfortably by hand, job done.......it ain't going nowhere!  :eek

Get an oil filter wrench, or even easier, buy an oil filter with a nut head on it, to make life really easy. You don't need 'crush' washers at all?

« Last Edit: 16 June 2012, 12:29:43 pm by darrsi »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 16 June 2012, 11:34:18 am »
Hey! I work in I.T and like to think that im somewhat mechanically oriented as well :P

Id also suggest, that you -may- save money on the first oil change. But the money spent on the accessories is a one off - therefore making every subsequent change cheaper :) Also, since when do you have to pay to dispose of oil?! Just take it to your local tip, they usually have a place to dispose of it. There is a phone number to find your local one on practically every bottle of oil I have ever seen and im sure there is a website somewhere as well.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 16 June 2012, 12:08:00 pm »
Apologies Dead Eye, i was expecting an iffy response, what i meant to say was 'Knitting Champion'  :lol :lol :lol

(please tell me there's no Champion Knitting Foccers on this website?)  :rollin

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 16 June 2012, 02:44:46 pm »
Haha, its ok, no offense taken ;)

fishwibbler

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 16 June 2012, 10:24:12 pm »
Hey, I'm offended as my knitting and IT skills are exemplary!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 17 June 2012, 02:38:11 am »
Acknowledged, i do actually need a new knitted number plate, and my I.T. skills are pants...... :lol

I will help anyone on here, BUT, i have a dark sense of humour that i can't control, so please don't take me seriously at all, unless i'm trying to help you, because sometimes i can't help myself........i do mean well, honestly.... :D
« Last Edit: 17 June 2012, 02:41:18 am by darrsi »

Enceladus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 17 June 2012, 10:55:57 pm »
got it off...... eventually.
got the bike nice and warm and sprayed (carefully) some cold water on theplug for 10 mins or so, then cracked and loosened the nut.
looks like the bloke who had the bike before me was hanging off the spanner he used to tighten it!
muppet !
found a good use for the waste oil also !
my grandad wanted it to keep his garden tools in (spade, fork, etc.) to stop them going rusty!
takes all sorts ! :D

spider

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - triumph explorer. lambretta
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 18 June 2012, 01:13:30 pm »
if u cant aford a torch wench. use a very short ring spanner imagine its cut in half.  u wont over tighten it then.  always new crush washer. then do it up  to the corect tightness by going for ft.  ft = fuggin tite. 

this thread has me in stiches. is your job i t. no.  its a nut. sorry. oh i gota read it again. an i karnt even spel.

what's next.. The best way to press the button to start the bike.  :lol

Fubar65

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 02 August 2012, 08:30:38 pm »
All Good advice.  I would def make sure got a new drain plug bolt, as bound to round it off, as as someone said a new crush washer.  to Torque it up, I cut down (in length) an old 17mm Socket and used a bendy coupling, (you know the ones I mean)...

Only leaves just enough 1/4 inch square drive to do the job, but it works.  Don't try and do the bolt up using the socket as not enough room to frame, just for torquing up.

Fubar!!
« Last Edit: 02 August 2012, 09:39:57 pm by Fubar65 »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 02 August 2012, 09:00:08 pm »
You cut a socket.......really??

And "....i'm not convinced by the manual, but it's not been wrong before?...."  :rollin

Off the top of my head without me looking i'd guess the drainage bolt is at the bottom of the water pump, which will have the large hose connected to it on the left hand side, to the left of the oil bolt.

The manual isn't there to trick you though, you can put a bit more faith in it.  :lol