Date: 01-05-24  Time: 17:39 pm

Author Topic: dare I !  (Read 1541 times)

jackojet

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2015 R1 and 2015 speed triple
    • View Profile
dare I !
« on: 16 August 2012, 11:32:33 pm »
Hi all what's the most I dare push std forks through the yokes? Got 12 mm now no problems.

Question is can I go more?
Reason is my gen 1 always felt top heavy, to me and your hands sit in the wind blast as not covered by front fairing.
Daft question to some but just experimenting.
Obviously don't want lose too much suspension travel or put horn through mudguard .
Any expert thoughts  on this welcome :)
Cheers jacko

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
Re: dare I !
« Reply #1 on: 17 August 2012, 04:04:50 am »
Well I'm no expert but I have dropped mine 15mm with no issues even when I have had to do emergency stops with my back wheel leaving the floor. I have heard of 20 and even 30mm but I guess it's just a matter of how many pies you like to eat. :D

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 August 2012, 09:42:03 am »
'Macmivvi' experimented with dropping standard forks on my R6 fork thread, quite a few posts on his progress but after a while he hit the limits.

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,1722.msg16165.html#msg16165

jackojet

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 August 2012, 11:02:16 am »
thanks guys
some good info on that thread
at the moment bike sits on std bones on rear with luke's R6 shock, i did have 28mm raise on std shock,  i am tall but i like to be flat footed :lol
going to try another 5mm through the yokes and see what happens and keep an eye on that cabletie.
reason for changing how my bike sits is i have got so used to the feel of my gixxer and the fazer just feels all wrong.
really need to sort the damping in the fazer forks but dont want to spend more money when i could put that to other forks etc, i want an idea of how i want the bike to sit before committing further
i do like the upright feel of the fazer but its a strange sitting position as std
let more experimenting begin
cheers jacko :)

AdieR

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 August 2012, 05:43:23 pm »
Beware when you drop the forks: the bike may sit differently, but it'll handle differently too. Don't know how long you've had it, or how much use it gets compared to the Gixxer, maybe you need time to adjust to it?

jackojet

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 August 2012, 06:54:35 pm »
Hi adiR
I have owned it over 7 years now, suppose been riding gixxer more this year.
Forks already through 12mm gone back to longer bones since fitted R6 shock .

Yeah need more time to readjust on the fazer . :rolleyes
Cheers jacko

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 August 2012, 10:41:05 pm »
I have just put on a set of renthal flat bars. Pulls you slightly forward and puts more weight on the front. I like the change, also have jack up kit and forks droping by 10 mm.

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 August 2012, 07:43:22 am »
jacko
The fazer handles/ steers quite slowly compared to a modern sportsbike...I doubt you will get the gen1 to feel like one just by adjustments.
I rode for 4k miles on my second bike which steers almost by thought , and coming back to the fazer I thought the tyres were flat, it steered so slowly ..... ! Yet a couple of long rides later , the fazer feels a lot better. Its rider calibration.