Date: 21-05-24  Time: 04:29 am

Author Topic: Engine-water temperature sensor threads??  (Read 2052 times)

mars696

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Engine-water temperature sensor threads??
« on: 09 July 2013, 02:29:39 am »
Hi focs!
After buying and installing a new gauge with temperature bar gauge,i try to connect it with the engine temperature sensor, at the thermostat(the one with only one plug),but i dont get any readings.
As i check the manual,it refers to it like a "switch",so i think, that it only trigger the warning led ,under certain temperature.Correct if i am wrong. :rolleyes
So i am looking for a proper water sensor and i would like to know what the sensors threads are? :D
Anybody??
Thanks!!!

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Engine-water temperature sensor threads??
« Reply #1 on: 09 July 2013, 08:33:01 am »
You are correct in that it is just a switch essentially to trigger the warning LED and also to turn on the fan behind the radiator. There is no other water sensor on the bike so you would likely have to try and find something suitable to add but this could be a lot of hassle

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 July 2013, 11:05:47 am »
As said both are just on/off switches. The large one for the fan is 16mm x 1.5mm pitch parallel thread, a fairly common size for such things. I not absolutely sure about the smaller one for the warning light but I think it is 1/8" J.I.S. tapered thread (i.e. 28 tpi) and is interchangable with 1/8 BSPT. That would not be interchangable with 1/8" NPTF (27 tpi) which is also a fairly common fitting for temperature senders etc.
Maybe a "T" piece type adaptor in the large thread would be the way to go, but not a lot of room round there.

gerkin

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 January 2015, 10:57:45 am »
can the led be replaced mine fails to light up

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 January 2015, 11:09:03 am »
can the led be replaced mine fails to light up

What makes you think you should have seen it light up? I've never seen mine come on, had the bike from new. It doesn't come on at the same time as the fan...

gerkin

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 January 2015, 11:15:56 am »
should it come on as the  starter button is pressed  the same as fuel and oil lights ?

Jules-C

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 January 2015, 01:03:36 pm »
It doesn't come on with the starter button test of the other lights. Led failure is far less common that bulb filament failure so not included in the test.

schlumpf

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 January 2015, 03:38:09 pm »
I would also say that the overtemperature LED is useless. The more as you now install a real meter. Take the "switch thread" for your new sensor.
In case your gauge supplier also offers/recommends a proper temperature sensor go for it. Otherwise you might end up with false readings as there are millions of different sensors on the market, most if them incompatible.
Or does your gauge has settings options for the sensor type?