Date: 08-05-24  Time: 07:31 am

Poll

clip or rivet your chain

I use the supplied clip
I rivet my chain link

Author Topic: Please confirm my chain+sprocket fit guide  (Read 3498 times)

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: Please confirm my chain+sprocket fit guide
« Reply #25 on: 09 August 2014, 04:39:21 am »
I used koyo bearings. That's what the original ones are but if you stick to any of the big brands like skf, fag etc they will be very good quality. The right size socket will do the job nicely. Tap them in evenly and keep checking that they still rotate freely.

keratos

« Reply #26 on: 09 August 2014, 08:37:24 am »
ordered the parts inc. the upgraded nut+washer kit from wemoto where I got the sprocket kit from. just got to get some loctite and I'm ready for a chain, sprocket and bearing  replacement. I may take vid or pics  and upload if its any use - I haven't done this for quite some years and forgot most of what I know!
Cheers for the tips

keratos

« Reply #27 on: 09 August 2014, 09:23:55 am »
Thanks to everyone; I've edited the original post - is it about right now? any suggestions/corrections?
Cheers
« Last Edit: 09 August 2014, 09:32:35 am by keratos »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 09 August 2014, 12:35:50 pm »
Thanks to everyone; I've edited the original post - is it about right now? any suggestions/corrections?
Cheers

I think you should be a tester for the split link, so we can actually have some proof at how good or bad they are.  :lol
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

keratos

« Reply #29 on: 09 August 2014, 01:30:45 pm »
Cheers

I think you should be a tester for the split link, so we can actually have some proof at how good or bad they are.  :lol

:rollin

Point taken

Nope, me thinks me trusts foccers  :lol

This may be bread and butter to you guys, but to someone who used to take things apart and always be left with a few items after I had 'reassembled'... This is slightly daunting  :b
« Last Edit: 09 August 2014, 01:33:24 pm by keratos »

papercutout

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 09 August 2014, 06:58:47 pm »
Cheers

Don't worry, I'm doing that job already, Keratos, carry on getting yourself a rivet link!

I've already mangled my left leg once before, what more could a chain do to it? ;) (I know the answer is - destroy it so much it needs to be amputated, but I'll stick with the split link right now, I'm sure it's strong enough to cope for a couple of months, until I can afford 'luxuries'.)

Timbollew

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 12 August 2014, 02:28:05 pm »
I'd say you wanna loosen the front sprocket nut with the rear wheel still on either get a friend to keep back brake on or a piece of wood through the wheel to stop it turning. DON'T put bike in gear and use the engine to sto stop the sprocket turning!
I used a cheapo riveter no problems at all, I did grind off the pins though to remove the old chain otherwise the riveters tend to break apparently.
Before you chuck your old chain loop it over the sprocket block the wheel with wood again and that way you can tighten the front sprocket up to torque without putting strain on your new chain.
This is what I did anyway and don't be shy with the grease they give you.