Date: 25-05-24  Time: 01:01 am

Author Topic: Fan fuse blowing  (Read 1449 times)

Hobgoblin

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Fan fuse blowing
« on: 06 May 2013, 01:23:51 am »
Hi all,

Just been out for a great 225 miles around north Wales today and although the bike performed flawlessly I do have a slight recurring problem.
Once again the fan fuse has blown, although I doubt the engine got hot enough to turn it on as I was never stuck in traffic at all.
This has happened before, so I fitted a simple switch to over-ride the sensor just in case.
Now I'm not sure if its the sensor breaking down to earth ( I know its switching a positive to the motor ), or if it's the motor itself.
Has anyone else had a fan fuse problem on a 600 ?
Many thanks, your input would be most appreciated,
Keith.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
Re: Fan fuse blowing
« Reply #1 on: 06 May 2013, 10:27:29 am »
The first thing to check is,  are there any small stones in the fan/rad area and remove them, before checking the wiring, sensor and motor
They can cause the fan blades to get stuck when it tries to turn and the result is a blown fuse.

Hobgoblin

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 May 2013, 10:35:39 am »
Many thanks.
I should have said that the fan works when I replace the fuse.
I can turn it on and off endlessly with my over ride switch and the fuse doesn't blow.
Then it seems, after a ride, maybe either the temperature affecting the fan switch or the motor windings, the fuse blows. Although I have not checked to see if it's blown yet prior to trying the fan via the over ride switch.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 May 2013, 11:40:57 am »
If there are no stones in it then as I said check in the following order wiring, sensor, motor.
Easy to bypass the sensor, disconnect the plug and put a switch across it. Then on a trip flick it on and off if fuses blows now it is most likely wiring or motor. To check the wiring wire the the motor side of the sensor connector via switch and fuse to the battery (bypassing the bike wiring) if it blows now it may be time to change the fan.

Hobgoblin

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 May 2013, 01:40:39 pm »
Many thanks! I'd planned on disconnecting the sensor first and seeing if the problem persists, just a case of trial and error.
I guess we post on here just hoping someone says ' ahh yes I had the same problem it was this '!!!

Hobgoblin

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 May 2013, 08:17:21 pm »
All sorted!!! Traced it to a  wire right where the loom passes over the frame beneath the tank.
The tank had been pressing on the loom obviously for ages causing it to short out!
A couple of hours work and a bit of luck finding it and all working A1 again.