Date: 28-04-24  Time: 16:36 pm

Author Topic: Building a garage  (Read 2906 times)

pointer2null

• Ye canna' change the laws of physics!
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - NC750X
    • View Profile
Building a garage
« on: 26 August 2013, 09:05:22 pm »
All I seem to do on here now is post questions on every subject apart from the sodding bike lol.

This time it's garages. We're about to buy a house and the question is cheaper without a garage and build one myself or more expensive with one ready made. Problem is I've no idea how much a garage costs; either just materials and self build or get a local builder to do the lot.

Anyone know what sort of figures we're looking at?

(p.s. on the subject of the bike - did the front disc the other day and every single nut came out a treat  :D )

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Building a garage
« Reply #1 on: 26 August 2013, 09:30:39 pm »
for a concrete pre-fab effort you are looking at around anywhere from 2k - 5k for supply and fit depending on sizes and specs:

http://www.nucrete.co.uk/products/sloping-roof-concrete-garages/

(put a fake email in to see the prices ;))

you  could go down the wooden route (aka shed!) which would be considerably cheaper, but obviously longevity will be a factor, maintenance etc.

Remember, if its a permanent brick structure, you will need planning permission etc as well - which can be hassle and a bit of a minefield if you dont know what your doing (like me).

If you have a search on ebay/gumtree those concrete prefabs like I have linked to come up in used condition regularly, and are not rocket science to assemble etc, depends how cheap you want to do it?

taylor

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 August 2013, 09:41:12 pm »
the cheap method, concrete base, timber frame, insulation. then the lightweight render systems, simples prob be able to do a lot yourself.
sent from my carafan in tenby, ;)

pointer2null

• Ye canna' change the laws of physics!
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - NC750X
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 August 2013, 10:02:22 pm »
That nucrete site looks to be just about what I'm thinking of. All I need for the for the first few years is somewhere secure for the bike till I can save up and get a proper garage/workshop built.

taylor

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 August 2013, 10:17:29 pm »
just looked its got a sloping roof as well. top
sent from my carafan in tenby, ;)

chris.biker

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Hornet 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 August 2013, 10:21:34 pm »
I have built several garages for my self, I built a single skin block garage the walls got wet through to the inside when it rained, even the rendered one with water proofing in the render.
So the second one was cavity walled and is the bees knees.
Third is a prefab concrete, now I think the water ingress problems I have always noticed with them could be solved. First they are built onto a concrete base which goes out under the walls so the rain water runs down the walls and in underneath them, I would look to solve this problem by, once the garage is built, placing a plastic  sheet DPC suitable over the base inside the garage and up the side 50mm plus, I would then concrete screed the floor with a 50mm thick layer. I would also  clad the outside of the garage (to give the water proofing benefits of a cavity wall)  my first thought is to do this with fence panels which may be the cheapest easiest way. Also these garages can be picked up second hand so could be a cheap option.

I m sure others will have their observations on this I will look forward to them.

chaz

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 August 2013, 11:29:14 pm »
You might not need planning permision if its less than a certain size, theres a link to planning on one of the replys to goldfazers planning question.
I built my own brick garage, single brick walls, rendered on the inside and painted the render with masonary paint, no damp. It's apprx. 6mx5m  tiled roof up and over door, I cost just under £2,000 to build in 2002, I was working in the building trade so got the bricks half price, ballast for the concrete base was £20, side door and frame free? electrics free? and quite a bit of other stuff.
Dont foget you'll need 2 or 3 skips at about £160 each? not sure of the price of them.
to get it built in 2002 would have been £6k plus.

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tuono RSV, YZF 1000, CBF 125
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #7 on: 27 August 2013, 12:15:44 am »
My friend has not long had a garage built (less than a year). It is big enough for a Nissan Z350 and a couple of bikes, along with the usual garage stuff. It cost him £6K all in.
Not quite sure what to do with my early mid-life crisis. Ideas on a post card to P.O.BOX 150...

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 August 2013, 06:56:50 am »
pre-fab for me.......18x10,its about 12/13 years old now and still good,fitted new roof last autumn...room for one med car +three bikes and a little room to work......did the base myself and £1600 to supply and build it...remember 13yrs old so add a bit to that  ;)
One, is never going to be enough.....

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 August 2013, 11:56:02 am »
Deadeye is the garage expert lol
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 August 2013, 12:14:42 pm »
I have a compton Garage, now taken over by Lidget. Mines been up 5 years and doesn't leak or suffer any problems (so far fingers crossed)

http://www.lidget.co.uk/ 

I have a 10'6" x 18' 6" which cost me £1800 fitted including up and over front door and a apex roof brick front. £2 to 5 K sounds about right depending on spec, unless you get a built in or on double the single garages attached to most houses over the last 20 years or so are pretty small and end up as storage/utility rooms.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 August 2013, 01:03:59 pm »
Deadeye is the garage expert lol

Unfortunately my expertise lies in their destruction rather than construction...

Also agree that most modern garages are often small. My one was barely large enough to get my Mk2 Golf in and even then it would have been quite a struggle to get out of the car. Its just about large enough for some storage and my bike to be honest... could do with being much bigger :( Still at least I have something, when I move to Bristol I will no longer have a garage  :'(