Date: 28-04-24  Time: 07:04 am

Author Topic: Ground anchor - onna wall?  (Read 1366 times)

pointer2null

• Ye canna' change the laws of physics!
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - NC750X
    • View Profile
Ground anchor - onna wall?
« on: 31 January 2015, 06:09:26 pm »
The new shiny thing needs a little more security that the old Fazer did, so have had a ground anchor in a box in the shed for the last 6 years.

Problem is at the new house, I'm a) garage less and b) the drive where the shiny lives is gravel. Now correct me if wrong but raw bolts in gravel don't work too good.

I know the obvious is to dig a big hole and fill it with concrete, but we're probably having the driveway done later in the year and I don't want to a) waste the money and b) (more importantly) have to dig it all out again in 6 months time.

So, the next best option is the 6 foot block wall next to us,

Would that be solid enough? Or would it be worth just using a heavy (circa M12) raw bolt hoop?

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Ground anchor - onna wall?
« Reply #1 on: 31 January 2015, 06:26:44 pm »
I'd go for the wall and biggest bolts u can use. There is a bonding agent u can get to proper set the bolts in even if there the expanding type. Make sure it's high enough so the chain your using doesn't touch the ground. Preferably a smallish one so the scumbags can't just move the bike nearer.  This is the best chain money can buy and it lasts a lifetime.

http://youtu.be/paNzJslXGkM

Seriously ....,.these are the best

http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk
« Last Edit: 31 January 2015, 06:29:34 pm by Exupnut »
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

taylor

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Ground anchor - onna wall?
« Reply #2 on: 31 January 2015, 06:27:30 pm »
put the concrete below your new drive level, ?  its then ready, when done, if it bricked paved, 100 mm, below, just make sure you put it in the right place, I put a little shed for the bike and concreted u bolts in the ground, I then reverse  my van at the door,.?
sent from my carafan in tenby, ;)

pointer2null

• Ye canna' change the laws of physics!
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - NC750X
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 January 2015, 07:00:39 pm »
problem is if I put the concrete 100mm below surface level, the ground anchor will be below the drive when it's laid - once fitted the anchor can't be removed (you drive hardened ball bearings into the allen bolt heads).

I hadn't though of the chemical agent - so maybe it would work. If any would be thief has to demolish a 3 foot hole in a block wall to get the anchor out it should satisfy the demands of the insurance co.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 January 2015, 07:31:13 pm »
Anchor in wall, or half fill a large plant pot with post ballast, cut holes in side of pot, put U-lock through holes, fill to top with post ballast, plant flowers on top to keep the missus happy. Lock bike to this  :thumbup

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 January 2015, 07:38:09 pm »

Ive got an idea

Dont use anything

Get some concrete

Wait til a teef comes along

Bury him in the concrete

Put it all on youtube

Share the linky :b
« Last Edit: 31 January 2015, 07:38:59 pm by noggythenog »
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 January 2015, 11:37:53 pm »
I've got my ground anchor on a wall, no problem.

I bought the biggest size rawl bolts I could get, and swapped the bolt half out for a cap headed bolt. Then I bought some hardened ball bearing balls and hammered those into the cap to stop the bolts being drilled out.

End of the day if someone really wants it they will have it, but it will put off the chancers.