Date: 28-04-24  Time: 16:06 pm

Author Topic: Sodding rear brake binding  (Read 1342 times)

pointer2null

• Ye canna' change the laws of physics!
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - NC750X
    • View Profile
Sodding rear brake binding
« on: 20 May 2014, 08:12:54 am »
Rear break started binding on a month or so ago. I assumed it was the usual fazer brake issue, but when I had a look the pistons were clean. I tried to wind them back into the caliper with a piston tool but they wouldn't budge. It was only when I opened the bleed screws they went back. So all was well for two weeks or so and then they stuck again. So this time I took each piston out to check and they were clean as was the bore in the caliper. However, there was a small bit of rubber in brake fluid. So I order and fitted a new hose (still had the original one on and it's a '98 machine so it was getting on for 16 years!) and flushed the system out - including a few more small fragments of rubber. All seemed fine for a couple of week and then yesterday the ****ing thing stuck on again.

The only thing I noticed was when I took the pistons out they were difficult to push back into the caliper - should they be easy to move (with no fluid in and bleed valves open)?

Any suggestions?

Current plan is to re-visit the caliper on friday. I'll pop the pistons back out and pull the seals out (I have a new set), I may split the caliper to have a good look inside (my local bike parts shop stocks the internal o-rings).

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
Re: Sodding rear brake binding
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2014, 08:24:36 am »
Think changing the seals will sort the problem-use some red rubber grease (sparingly!) on new seals and outer part of pistons to aid fitting-will also help keep crap/moisture out. Have you ever overhauled the master cylinder? May be worth doing as you have changed brake hoses/overhauled calipers.Can get an "overhaul" kit from Yamaha or you can take a chance on pattern parts.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2014, 05:13:36 pm »
New piston seals should fix it. The groove that the seal sits in corrodes and it pushes the seal against the piston and cause it to stick. It'll probably be the dust seal that's causing the problem rather than the fluid seal. Go for genuine Yamaha seals, the cheaper ones don't always fit properly.

pointer2null

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - NC750X
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 May 2014, 05:44:51 pm »
I've just been outside winding the pistons back in again so I can drive to work tomorrow and something interesting showed up.

As I wind one in the other pops out. Nothing too ground breaking so I clamped one piston while i tried to wind the other in. Won't budge. Release the hydraulic seal on the master cylinder end of the hose and they pop back in no problem. So I wonder if it's the master cylinder... maybe some of the rubber fragments from the old hose got back up into it.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 May 2014, 02:40:47 pm »
Not sure if that points to the master cylinder but you were struggling to get the pistons back in with no fluid right? So the seals must need attention

pointer2null

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - NC750X
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 May 2014, 02:47:55 pm »
you can just about push pistons in by hand with no fluid.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 May 2014, 04:35:09 pm »
If you were pushing them in square then it sound a bit stiff to me.