Date: 27-04-24  Time: 20:08 pm

Author Topic: Starting not so good, GEN 1 thou  (Read 920 times)

Camshaft

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Starting not so good, GEN 1 thou
« on: 25 May 2013, 12:13:13 pm »
From cold when starting it immediately comes to life then over the next 2-3 seconds stops. Choke doesn't help. After another 2 or 3 goes and by then it will accept a little throttle to help thing along and all then is ok. At this point I use the choke for about 20 seconds to keep the idle at about 1300.I have owned the bike for 1 month and have hardly ridden it as not allowed to for 4 more weeks.It had sat in a garage unridden for 1 year prior.Bike has slip on, aftermarket jet needle and jets prof installed. I suspect adjusted TPS as tacho at 10K. When warm engine runs well no flatspots and produces great power.I have drained all of the old fuel out by removing the tank and letting the engine starve to cut off. Then new plugs and fuel, same problem but not quiet as bad.Carby removal and clean?Just exploring options, any advice would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: 25 May 2013, 12:13:52 pm by Camshaft »
where does the muffler go?

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
Re: Starting not so good, GEN 1 thou
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2013, 12:42:32 pm »
My 600 was a bit like that when I got it. The bike had been sitting for about 9 months, and was a pig to start.
  I balanced the carbs and set the tps, this helped a bit, bit the thing that helped the most was using it daily, and within a week or two, she started and ran well. Start with the tps, and see how you get on from there.:D

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 May 2013, 02:05:25 pm »
Mine does almost exactly the same thing when cold starting (2002 Gen 1 with Ivan's jetkit & slip-on fitted).

Provided your battery is up to the job, and she runs without fault once warmed up, can't really see much of a problem, just a slight inconvenience.

Camshaft

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 May 2013, 07:16:30 am »
Better today, it seemed to like the fresh fuel and plugs have helped on the second day, started today 1st go, idle was at about 8-900 and gradually rises. Bit of choke for a few seconds once started and bobs your uncle.
Also forgot to mention, when putting in fresh fuel I added some Nulon fuel cleaner. Perhaps this needed a few k's to clean away! :rolleyes :lol
where does the muffler go?

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 May 2013, 08:48:34 am »
Whatever it is you've done, its worked! Big smiles all round buddy :D:D

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!