Date: 30-04-24  Time: 16:03 pm

Author Topic: Day Surgery  (Read 2512 times)

mickdel

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Day Surgery
« on: 06 October 2011, 02:38:58 pm »
I went into Kingston hospital on 22nd Sept to have my gallbladder removed as a day case patient.   Last memory was being given anaesthetic.   Woke up a day later in St George's Tooting cardiac intensive care!  "You had a heart attack Michael".    I couldn't reply because I was intubated and on a ventilator.   Oh the fun.   Spent the next 8 days having every test known to man,  to be told "There's foc all wrong with your heart".  "Why did it stop twice then Mister"?  " Er, we think it was a nerve being stimulated in your abdomen called the vagel,  when the surgeon pumped co2 into your gut, as part of the laprascopy.  It shuts your body down when it detects it might be experiencing major trauma, but there's no way we can say 100% " or words to that effect.   I didn't have a heart attack.  It just stopped.  Twice.   Still have aching rib cage from all the cpr.

So I'm at home now, with something resembling a stab wound,  gall bladder still in place and causing problems, and my GP has to re-refer me to Kingston to have another go at removing it?!

Fuck.
Head Focced

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
Re: Day Surgery
« Reply #1 on: 06 October 2011, 03:08:55 pm »
i know of two other ppl that had something sim, but 2nd time they went in there wasnt any probs with it at all.
real bugger but at least they got it jump started :)

2 years ago i was in for an opp and affter comming out and in recovery they thought i was mid heart attack, i then had 4 more attacks over the next 2 days. oddly i was standing talking and having no ill effects from these heart attacks lol. it turns out the settings on the ecg in recovery had been moved and as the ecg on the ward was broken they had to keep borrowing an ecg, sometimes from recovery and sometimes from the ward the other side. as they were on diff gain settings it kept showing a heart attack each time they compared.
finaly a studet doctor came in and spoted the mistake lol and i was released in a matter of hours. having never had a problem to start with.

the mind boggles sometimes

dolau

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 October 2011, 07:48:51 pm »
I had my gall bladder removed by laparoscopy in 2009

Went like a dream and I have the three 'stab wounds' also

As I had pancreatitus at the time caused by the gall bladder I was glad to get rid of it

Funny thing is now- without that bile store I get indigestion pretty easily but - hey! no more pain- believe me pancreatitus isnt fun!

Worth having again- alternative is an episode of Holby City with retractors and scapals and much letchup!.... not trying to put you off here!  :rollin
59 going on 57

Raymy

• Erection Services Foccer
    Brighter than a ZippoFirelighter
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - There is only 1 Gertrude
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 October 2011, 09:12:08 am »
That's a whole lot of trouble for a stimulated vag
Smell ones mother. Yaas!

mickdel

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 October 2011, 12:39:30 pm »
I'm thinking about having it done the old fashioned way.    The gb plays up about three to four times a week.   Bad abdominal cramps and shoulder feels like its in a vise.  I'll plough on with the painkillers for the moment, and try and lose some weight as well.   Frightened the life out of the family.    I still can't lie on my side to sleep because the ribcage is still very tender.    :'(   
Head Focced

Hodge

• Foc-U suck-up-to-admin and good taste in bikes Foccer
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - GSX650F
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 October 2011, 12:43:58 pm »
Bit of a shocker for you. Glad you are okay though.

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 October 2011, 12:47:11 pm »
 "Frightened the life out of the family"
 :eek  I bet it did, glad to hear you're ok even if you have to go back in again. bet you'll have some question this time?
fire never sleeps

mickdel

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 October 2011, 03:29:24 pm »
 :rollin   I'll make sure I have some life insurance next time!   It's made me give up smoking though, as the surgeon wouldn't take the ventilator tube out for a day after I came to as he said I had pulmonary oedma, or something like that.  Fluid round the lungs because of smoking - it stopped the lungs absorbing enough oxygen.   There was a guy opposite who had his leg amputated mid thigh, and a pacemaker fitted because of smoking.   That really did make me turn white.
Head Focced

dolau

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 October 2011, 07:56:50 pm »
I remember sitting up on the sofa for about three months while I waited for the operation- couldnt lie down- good luck fella!
59 going on 57

GringoRojo

• Otter baiting foccer
    FOC-U Dancing on Ice Champion 2010
    Aug 08
    Oct 08
    Sept 09
  • GP Hero
  • a Doonhamer in exile
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger800XC