Date: 30-04-24  Time: 12:20 pm

Author Topic: earplugs  (Read 10440 times)

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: earplugs
« Reply #25 on: 04 October 2011, 09:53:18 pm »
Mate of mine paid (around 40 quid I think it was) for a set of hte custom made ones. Lost them first ride out  :rollin :rollin :rollin

Nice cheapy ones work well for me, but the Howard Leight ones (as mentioned by somebody else) are far better than their price tag suggests. Dead comfy too :thumbup

robby boy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Sprint ST 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 04 October 2011, 09:56:50 pm »
I usually wear them on longer runs, as others say I get them from work so cost nowt,  do turn into a bit of a hooligan without them with the baffles out, think they must keep the brain cells in. :lol
If you worried about falling off your bike, you'd never get on.

Hodge

• Foc-U suck-up-to-admin and good taste in bikes Foccer
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - GSX650F
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 05 October 2011, 12:46:28 pm »
I always ride with plugs in. Okay I have been known to forget but if it's a long journey I will always stop to put them in.

GringoRojo

• Otter baiting foccer
    FOC-U Dancing on Ice Champion 2010
    Aug 08
    Oct 08
    Sept 09
  • GP Hero
  • a Doonhamer in exile
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger800XC
    • View Profile
    • a two wheeled charity ride without engines
« Reply #28 on: 05 October 2011, 02:00:13 pm »
if you don't use good fitting plugs you WILL damage your hearing - and it's irreversible.

anything above a 30 limit and I'll wear mine. I use the orange Max ones, bought a box of 100 of ebay. Ive always had problems fitting one in my right ear and over the years have developed tinitus in that ear. actually depresses me sometimes when I'm lying in bed and it's quiet and all I can "hear" is the two tone ringing in my ear. wished I'd take more care.
tried the custom plugs a few years ago from the Scottish Bike Show - were OK until I tried them on my bike - hadn't been fitted correctly cos my lid pushed my ear back further than it was at the fitting. so they're useless on the bike. next helmet might be a schuberth (had AGV Q3 - good, Xlite 801 - ok, Shoei XR1000 - ok)

like eddie, I take them to gigs too.

Strifae

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 05 October 2011, 03:53:04 pm »
if you don't use good fitting plugs you WILL damage your hearing - and it's irreversible.

anything above a 30 limit and I'll wear mine. I use the orange Max ones, bought a box of 100 of ebay. Ive always had problems fitting one in my right ear and over the years have developed tinitus in that ear. actually depresses me sometimes when I'm lying in bed and it's quiet and all I can "hear" is the two tone ringing in my ear. wished I'd take more care.
tried the custom plugs a few years ago from the Scottish Bike Show - were OK until I tried them on my bike - hadn't been fitted correctly cos my lid pushed my ear back further than it was at the fitting. so they're useless on the bike. next helmet might be a schuberth (had AGV Q3 - good, Xlite 801 - ok, Shoei XR1000 - ok)

like eddie, I take them to gigs too.

This is exactly the issue I had with my custom fitted earplugs - absolutely wonderful off the bike - as soon as I used them on the bike my ears got moved somewhat by the helmet and they let in all/most of the noise/sound - so waste of £50 odd :(

mickdel

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 06 October 2011, 02:15:31 pm »
I found the cheap foam ones blocked out almost all sounds, and it was like riding deaf and it gave me a weird feeling - was riding faster because I couldn't hear revs.     I got a set of Alpine mushroom type plugs that come with two inserts - for different db levels.  They let in sound below the level that damages hearing, and block it out above.   Much better for me.  On long runs I found I was getting very tired from the wind noise before I started using ear plugs.
Head Focced

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 06 October 2011, 02:58:04 pm »
I got given some that I think maybe Howard Leight, they are very good and block out nearly all noise, great for the motorway, wouldn't ride without them
fire never sleeps

fazed600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Suzuki GSXR1000 K7
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 07 October 2011, 06:46:32 pm »
As others say its the air noise rather than the exhaust. Like others here I tried a few a now use Howard Leight SNR37 as they are comfortable and effective.
Even if I just pop down the road it feels odd not having them in.

Oxygen

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 09 October 2011, 09:47:36 pm »
Just rode today and forgot my plugs. Bike sounded rough as &@£? But I like to ride with them better and as as started with them I found I was riding slower without but I am a newbie rider so that don't say much.

On the other hand I deal with noise for a living and would say never ride without them to protect your hearing. The damage caused is a slow process and you won't notice until it is to late.

Same goes for those that are in a band or DJs once the hearing is damaged it's damaged. Job done.

If you can afford get fitted ones or if not the foam/ free ones from work. I have a caberg lid that seems to have inbuilt noise at any speed. The sh&ty lid i had when on CBT was better for noise although I did nor hit the same speeds.

The pros wear them to protect their hearing and although it is much louder for them there is a good reason.

I may look into the moulded ones mentioned before and post back. I have moulded ones for sleeping on lads weekends away but the maker said they cancelled to much noise for riding but they are very comfortable but cost about £100 or so but will last a lifetime. Got them from specsavers and when I asked him about more expensive foam ones he said just get the cheap disposable ones as they are just as good.

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 11 October 2011, 05:59:14 pm »
Been riding pretty much solidly for 30 years never used earplugs and still have pretty good hearing. For me I'd rather have all my senses in tact when riding, I've often picked up changes in road surface adhesion from hearing alone, and personally riding a bike is about having all my senses being stimulated.

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 12 October 2011, 02:18:36 pm »

Ive always had problems fitting one in my right ear 

I have the same problem with my right ear, never seems to be as easy as my left hand ear, don`t know if being left handed makes a difference.
Does anybody else have this problem?

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #36 on: 14 October 2011, 03:55:49 pm »
I NEVER USED TO USE THEM ooo sorry had ear plugs in !!!
I worked in engineering and had to wear ear defenders (and when married as wife snored soo loud!) but never bothered on my bike. now just back into biking and was wearing a ARAI Quantum E and didn't bother when i got my Fazer but just changeds to Shoie XspritII and landlady who has a R1 sugested a pair, i just use the cheap yellow disposable ones thay are good for using until they get to dirty!
I went on ride from Portsmouth to Falmouth to see a mate ggreat but when it came to return i'd lost them so had to suffer for 230 miles!! now i always check i have a spare pair in my pocket!
yes they do make everything sound different but once on a bike I found that it took the pain of wind noise away
It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!