Date: 01-05-24  Time: 15:18 pm

Author Topic: Front and rear sprockets are misalignment!  (Read 1055 times)

nrobert

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - main
    • View Profile
Front and rear sprockets are misalignment!
« on: 14 March 2012, 02:16:56 pm »
Hi
I got a  600 99 year model, for about 4 years. I need to change the chain and sprockets.The old chain did not last very long (DID O-ring chain). I changed the front sprocket, put a new nut ( nut and new washer and ). my new chain `t  so I mount the rear wheel, because I need to move bike from the middle of my garage, and then noticed that the front and rear sprocket are  misalignment like on the diagram, only in my case rear sprocket is moved to the the swing arm!:
Front and rear sprocket are not in line.Rear sprocket escapes to the outside for the entire thickness of front sprocket.I have checked everything on the rear wheel, all the spacers and  according to the manual.
I notice that the front sprocket was really eaten on the inside.

Do any of you have checked this, or is it just another factory error?  maybe this is somehow connected with the problem of losing of the front sprocket and washer?

When the chain on the engine in it is hard to see but now as clear as day.
Can someone check on this on your .

Thank You

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
Re: Front and rear sprockets are misalignment!
« Reply #1 on: 14 March 2012, 05:10:10 pm »
 Matey I'm not seeing what you have in your drawing, from the photo things appear to be normal too me, there can be many reasons why a chain doesn't last, a lot of owners don't look after the chain enough or too much!

You may also have been sold a fake DID chain there are many about even stealers get caught  :rolleyes

The picture of the back of the sprocket doesn't really show any real wear just fret marks this could be part of the problem and you bike had started to suffer from a loose front sprocket or the lay shaft is worn has it been modded? 
Later

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Front and rear sprockets are misalignment!
« Reply #2 on: 14 March 2012, 06:09:39 pm »
Yes, draw a straight line though the centre of the teeth of the rear sprocket and it clearly misses the front one as you say.
First thing I'd do is ignore the marks on the swingarm, check the wheel alignment and once that's spot on see if the rear sprocket aims at the front any better. (Let's hope it's not worse!)