robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
Re: Tyres
« Reply #1 on: 23 March 2023, 02:36:50 pm »
Since they came out I’ve been using Metzeler Roadtec 01’s, on the recommendation of a longtime forum member. These have now become 01 SE’s. Never had any tyre issues, other than a couple of punctures. Not cheap, but a good all round sport touring tyre.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 March 2023, 07:11:30 pm »
What did you have previously, were you happy with them or how could they have been improved, what's your budget? I'm a big fan of Avon Storm 3DXM for confident riding through the twisties at a reasonable price but they are not so great in the wet from what I've heard but as a fair weather rider that doesn't bother me.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #3 on: 24 March 2023, 12:26:25 am »
The time has come for some new tyres, recommendations please 🙏

This is a perennial question that turns up on Facebook forums and I'll give you the same answer that I post on there.

Any modern "big name" brand of tyres is going to be good enough for the average rider. It's only when you start pushing them to the limits that it's really going to make any difference.

Personally I use Bridgetone T31 Sports/ Touring tyres which are dual compound (hard down the centre for motorways, softer on the edges for twisties), but if you look on YouTube for the Fortnine videos, he goes through lots of different types and, frankly, most people will only ever notice the difference in their wallet.

dueruote

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 March 2023, 08:34:51 pm »
Without knowing your riding style, I would suggest a good set of sport touring tyres, like Michelin Road 5 or 6.   
I had also good experiences before with T30 from Bridgestone, so I assume the current generation T32 will be even better. 

For what we can (or should) do on the road on a Fazer, these should be more than enough.
A more sport oriented tyre could give more grip at certain limit situations, but in my opinion, if you are ever losing grip on the street, it will be most likely due to road conditions, and much less becuase of any differences in the tyres being sport vs sport touring.

Another factor to consider is wear, but not just as maximum mileage. 
I find the Fazer very sensitive to front uneven wear, and front tyre tend to wear more on the sides, resullting in a more triangular profile.
This makes streering very hard. To stay leaned in a corner, we need to apply more counter steering. It is uncomfortable to ride, and makes me lose trust in the front.
With sport tyres this will start to happen much earlier, and at that point I prefer just to throw them, and put on a new pair, even if there was still a lot of mileage left on the tyres.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 March 2023, 11:09:07 am »
Unfortunately there are as many tyres available as opinions and favorites
Michelin or Metzler or Dunlop are the most common brands I have seen on the fazers
If mileage it high then the Sports Tourer is the option. If your mileage is low the the sports tyre is the better option as the tyre will wear out before it is out of date for safety.
Micheling road 5 or 6 is considered on of the best all rounders
I use Metzler Sportec M9RR on the 1000 as I have 3 bikes I use regularly and mileage would not be as high if I was just using one only.There and an phenomenal  tyre and suit the 1000 with incredible feedback and all round grip.

Only fault I had the the SportsTouring tyres was that I seem to have been regularly to the edge of the tyre without trying too hard, but on the Sports  yre I do not get to the edge unless I am really pushing it..

dueruote

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 March 2023, 03:16:21 pm »
If your mileage is low the the sports tyre is the better option as the tyre will wear out before it is out of date for safety.
This was the reason I tried my latest 2 sets of sport tyres, Bridgestone S20 and S22.
Awesome tyres, but both squared off the rear and wore the sides on the front rather soon.
Could also be something to do with they having front dual compound perhaps.

Only fault I had the the SportsTouring tyres was that I seem to have been regularly to the edge of the tyre without trying too hard, but on the Sports  yre I do not get to the edge unless I am really pushing it..
May be true in general, but better to check case by case.
I was able to reach the edge of the S22 rather easily, but there is absolutely no way I can do the same on the Road 5, even leaning more, and both rears in the original 180/55 size.
I don't understand why Michelin makes the edges almost "vertical" on the rear.

Another point for sport tyres is that they may give more some kind of mental trust that we are on "better" rubber, but after gaining trust with sport touring, it will be essentially all about the feedback the tyre give.
In fact my recent experience, I trust the R5 as much as I did the S22 in road sport riding, and even more if it's damp or wet.

bazza

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - triumph bonneville '#03974 t120
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 March 2023, 04:30:06 pm »
I am also going to be needing a new set this summer. But I agree with grahamm that you wont notice much difference on any big name brand in dry weather, (unless you take it on a track), as I am always getting caught out in downpours or have to make a journey in the rain, then a good wet weather tyre is essential. I was thinking in terms of the avon storm as they are a british tyre and therefore would be tested in british conditions, and sensible money but I may have a look at the bridgestone T31. I currently have the metzeler m9rr . I will also have a look into michelin road 5 as it does seem to get good reviews, so it may just be which of those is the best deal at the time, and I have noticed Pirelli's seem to be a good deal at present but not had any of those for donkeys years

Gaz66

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - VFR800 Fi (1999)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 March 2023, 12:56:19 am »
1st set of Mich Pilot Road 5's on my 1000, happy so far, nearly a 1000mls & no visible signs of wear as yet, fair weather only. :thumbup