Date: 27-04-24  Time: 13:13 pm

Author Topic: loss of power  (Read 2523 times)

taksi

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
loss of power
« on: 14 February 2012, 06:52:52 pm »
Hi guys, I have a desperate loss of power at very low revs and wondered if anyone could throw any light on it. Bike is a '58 plate FZ1 fazer with full Akropovic, minus cat and ex-up and no power commander. Came like that from the showroom 2 yrs and 12k ago. Symptoms are these. Approaching traffic lights/junction on a closed throttle up to 2000rpm in 1st/2nd gear 20mph'ish and open the throttle. There is then a severe loss of power like it starts,stops,starts,stops etc very rapidly until it reaches 2500rpm and then she's off like a good 'un. So far this is what I've done. I'm a car mechanic by the way, though this deep into a bike fault I'm getting a bit lost.
1. Checked  oil/coolant levels. If the oil is low on a modern car engine it will lurch into "limp mode". No probs all ok.
2. Changed the plugs  (which have only done 2k) for the old ones for elimination purposes, still same.
3. Let the tank empty and refilled with Shell Vpower and checked idle speed was 1200-1300 rpm. Still same.
4. Removed the tank and checked all the electrical connectors I could see, snapped them open, all nice and dry and refitted. TPS, O2 sensor,primary pump,injectors,plug coils and ecu. Still same.
5. Checked vacuum hoses were connected to the throttle bodies correctly, including Scottoiler pick up. Checked rubber seals between upper and lower airbox halves and airbox to throttle body gaskets. All ok. Road test again, still same.
6. No fault codes shown on dash. Removed air sensor conector from top of airbox and turned ign on. Code 22 appears on the dash indicating that the fault code reporting to the dash is ok.

At this point I feel 10 yrs older at the thought of going to my dealer and totting up £57 for each hour they look at it aws I've already spent 20-25 hrs in my garage.

I've just managed to get a PDF of the official workshop manual off flea bay for a couple of quid and it's pretty damned good. Only thing now is, via my new manual, to check the ohm values on the throttle position sensor and hope for the best.

Anybody out there got any previous with a similar fault or just any ideas as my head hurts now. :'(

Ta in advance,

Taksi
Taksi

DekF

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Fast as fck s1r
    • View Profile
Re: loss of power
« Reply #1 on: 14 February 2012, 07:36:20 pm »
Hi
Full marks for your diagnostic skills.
My money is on a faulty coil(s)
The coils are notoriously fickle on the gen2. Generally being known to fail at around 30k, when they do fail, but have failed earlier. You can check their resistance but this method isn't a reliable indicator.
Get some off ebay, 04-06 R1 are readily available and cheap.
Btw, a full akra and no pc ain't the best combination. More a glass half-empty
Dek

taksi

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 February 2012, 10:48:35 pm »
Many thanks Dek. The bike came with the Akra so I'll have to save some pennies when I get it sorted for a PC. It does feel more like hesitation than a misfire so PC could be the answer. Either that or TPS. My only query is why has it run perfectly for the last 10k?

Taksi
Taksi

taksi

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 February 2012, 08:57:09 pm »
Dek, thanks for the message. Looked at it and it seems pretty conclusive doesn't it.. I'm booked into SMC Sheffield tomorrow at 9am so I'm in for a 45 mile trip over the Snake Pass. Hope it's not snowing! I've seen some 04-06 R1 coils on flea bay for £15 so they're worth a shot if nothing happens tomorrow.

Thanks again,

Taksi
Taksi

JKay

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 February 2012, 01:16:50 am »
I'd wait for a few more replys as I'm sure this has come up before ,no doubt some one more grown up than me will answer soon

taksi

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 February 2012, 11:08:45 am »
Went over to SMC Sheffield last week and gave them an hour at it. Had a good chat with the techie afterwards and apart from one throttle body out of sync, couldn't find anything else. He also supected coils even though the readings were ok. Bought 4 used FZ1 coils on e-bay for £100 and fitted them yesterday - all hunky dory. Back to my lock up and swapped the old ones one at a time and road tested after each change. No2 was the culprit so I could have saved myself £75 but hey-ho I now have three spares and have understood some new symptoms for the future.

Many thanks Dek for the info.
Taksi