Date: 01-05-24  Time: 00:06 am

Author Topic: Hello From Newbie  (Read 1136 times)

Mikeee

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ8 11-
    • - Harley Davidson Fat Bob
    • View Profile
Hello From Newbie
« on: 09 September 2015, 03:04:22 pm »
Hello Everyone

I ve` recently started riding bikes again after a 16 year break. I bought a 1585 CC Harley Davidson Fat Bob Last year (thought I would get something small  for a start!!!). Thoroughly enjoyed getting back behind the bars and had some great ride-outs last year. The problem I have is that most of my friends have nakeds and felt a bid out of place on the old hog. So, I`ve just purchased a 2014 FZ8 in grey. The bike had just over 600 miles on the clock when I bought it a few weeks ago. I have just reached 1100 miles over the weekend which has completed the running-in period of the engine. The close gears have took some getting used to but I must say it feels a different machine now I can hold the revs out a little longer before changing gear. Overall I am really pleased with the bike, its light and quite nimble around the corners and has plenty of power for my style of riding. I do have an over run problem with it when gearing down and I will start a thread in the FZ8 section of the forum as it makes it easier to find if anyone else is experiencing the same and looking for an answer.   

Cheers

Mikeee     
Live to ride - Ride to live.

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
Re: Hello From Newbie
« Reply #1 on: 09 September 2015, 03:40:20 pm »
Hi and welcome to the forum, the FZ8 is definitely different from the Harley.
Stick a picture up of your bike, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Mikeee

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ8 11-
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 September 2015, 06:25:40 pm »
Thanks Slappy. Here's my new ride. I've stuck a puig wind shield on since taking this pic, makes a lot of difference on the open roads.

Val

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Foccer-Wulf
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 September 2015, 09:33:11 pm »
Welcome to the forum and that Fazer look sweet  :)
Adrian Monk: Unless I'm wrong, which, you know, I'm not.

Mikeee

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ8 11-
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 September 2015, 09:27:06 am »
Thanks Val. What's the difference between a fz8 and a fazer? Can anyone give a breakdown of my machine, I just thought it looked nice. Well pleased with the ride.

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 September 2015, 02:49:27 pm »
Fazer usually refers to the older carb version of the FZS1000  which again is called a gen1 while the FZ1 is fuel injected and  known as a gen2. Gen being short for generation.
The FZ8  has no previous carb version and  was something Yamaha produced for people who wanted more than 600cc but  didn't need 1000cc so sits betweeen the FZ6 and FZ1.
I was looking at a few FZ8  but my FZ1 was offered to me at a quite low price and only 8000 miles on an 07 plate.
Also in America the early carb FZS1000 is also known as FZ1, which can be  a bit confusing if you frequent ebay.

Mikeee

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ8 11-
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 September 2015, 06:57:56 pm »
Nice breakdown thanks Slappy. I probably was that soldier. I've had R1s come by me like I am stood, do I really want to be Mr ballistic, erm nope. Loving the FZ8 corners like its on rails and its plenty quick enough for me.

Mikeee