Date: 28-04-24  Time: 07:47 am

Author Topic: Focer font of knowledge - cage spark plugs  (Read 953 times)

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Focer font of knowledge - cage spark plugs
« on: 23 August 2019, 05:26:50 pm »
Hi All,

I changed the plugs on my 55 plate Fiesta today.  I blew out the area with an air duster and then removed the plugs.  Replaced with new and all I get is the starter motor noise, not even a hint of the car firing.

When I took the plugs out they were very rusty around the top of the thread.  I'm wondering if a ton of rust has been dislodged and fallen into where the plug screws in.

Other than a tiny hoover, is there any method to get bits out?  I'm thinking maybe a long swap with something wet to help "grab" the bits.  but what kind of wet should I use?

I've not changed anything else today, so god knows why it won't fire.

I should add, I've cleaned up the old plugs and put them back.  Same thing.  So it's not the new plugs.

Ta :-)
« Last Edit: 23 August 2019, 05:35:27 pm by HarryHornby »
Money doesn't buy happiness, but it buys beer, and that helps!

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Focer font of knowledge - cage spark plugs
« Reply #1 on: 23 August 2019, 05:52:17 pm »
Ignore this.  Problem "solved"

I looked inside each hole where the plugs go and couldn't see anything significant.

Took old plugs back out, put new ones back in.  Double checked HT leads were seated at both ends and all ok.

Car was really sluggish to start, but there was a hint of it wanting to go.  Then, after some reluctance, off it went.  Seems ok now.

I think tomorrow I'll change the HT leads, just in case one is faulty.

Really bizarre.

I did end up calling it a foccing bastard when it wouldn't fire.  Maybe that fixed it.  :D

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 August 2019, 12:12:51 am »
take the plugs out ,turn it over a few times and most of the crap will come out ,then stick a plug in the ht lead ,turn it over and see if you've got a decent spark,if you have it's probably a petrol problem or some crap out of the tank collected around the pick up in the tank they were a bastard for that back in the day,especially if you've a tendency to run it low on fuel.
« Last Edit: 24 August 2019, 12:18:51 am by coffee »
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 August 2019, 10:22:37 am »
Check that the screw caps on the plugs are actually tight (if reqd). Also, did you check that the spaerk plug gap was correct? There not always when theyre new

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 August 2019, 10:45:31 pm »
PLugs were fine, gaps were fine.  really really odd.

Wouldn't fire at all, and then, the more I turned it over (in between changing the plugs from new to old to new) the more it wanted to catch and then it went.  It's been spot on since.  Never had that, no focing  idea what happened.

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 August 2019, 11:49:06 pm »
What happens is you get a collection of debris which blocks the pick up in the tank as it sucks the petrol,then after a short time gravity causes it to drop away and starts working again,it could never give you trouble for ages or could collect again quickly,that's why it's best to have a fair amount of petrol in the tank as this debris is normally floating around near the bottom and the less juice you've got in the more chance you've got of picking it up.
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.