Date: 27-04-24  Time: 13:40 pm

Author Topic: Braided brake lines  (Read 3168 times)

wezdavo

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 954 fireblade
    • View Profile
Braided brake lines
« on: 10 February 2013, 09:27:55 pm »
I had my insurence renewal over the phone yesterday..

He asked if i had done any mods lately, so i said oh yes i had fitted some Goodrich brake lines..

His reply was "sorry, but because of this we cant offer you cover anymore"

I mean come on...

I got sorted else where so no biggy..

Has anyone else have such things happen?

bigsteve

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - TDM850 FZS600SP
    • View Profile
Re: Braided brake lines
« Reply #1 on: 10 February 2013, 09:37:03 pm »
Thats mad  :rolleyes  who was the company ?????

just had my renewal with carol nash and told them changed exhaust and didnt make a difference

only thing I had was after phone call my renewal dropped £150 from renewal in mail  :lol

wezdavo

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 954 fireblade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 February 2013, 09:43:21 pm »
Thats mad  :rolleyes  who was the company ?????

just had my renewal with carol nash and told them changed exhaust and didnt make a difference

only thing I had was after phone call my renewal dropped £150 from renewal in mail  :lol

Swinton

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tuono RSV, YZF 1000, CBF 125
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #3 on: 11 February 2013, 09:50:59 pm »
That is a joke. I have lines, alarm, exhaust, grips...and more, that are not original parts. Never had a problem. And I only pay £70'sh FC.
Not quite sure what to do with my early mid-life crisis. Ideas on a post card to P.O.BOX 150...

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 February 2013, 09:54:40 pm »
That's nuts. Getting my renewal in a few weeks time. Have just fitted new exhaust, braided lines, going to put on some heated grips and hopefully some silicon coolant hoses if we get them made up.. Hope it doesn't put mine up too much...

It wouldn't be fun if it was easy, I just wish it wasn't this much fun.

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #5 on: 11 February 2013, 10:07:04 pm »
Shop around Chris, it can be had for cheap cheap.
Not quite sure what to do with my early mid-life crisis. Ideas on a post card to P.O.BOX 150...

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 February 2013, 10:14:06 pm »
Ye, i will be. Going to wait till I get my renewal letter to see what they say I'm with bennets at the moment but will have a look about. I've always found with car insurance that when I get my renewal letter then giving them a phone can usually get a few quid off the quote on the letter.

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #7 on: 11 February 2013, 10:48:07 pm »
I am with Bennets too. And, yeah, for the sake of a call. Well worth it  :D .

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 February 2013, 05:16:45 am »
I think I read last week that MCE are not going to load their premiums anymore for mods, except Turbo's and silly stuff like that. Worth a try?

Mickey
Sent from my villa in the South of France.

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 February 2013, 01:26:57 pm »
Oh my god, I fitted heated grips before the winter set in, do you think it will be alright?   :lol

AdieR

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 February 2013, 10:46:05 pm »
I usually ask / inform my insurer as I make changes - that way they can't argue the "we didn't know" point. Haven't increased the price, but mine is due in 4 weeks time so we'll see.

I read that story about MCE allowing mods at no extra cost - the kicker is that they insist on original replacements in a claim (ie, if you get a Yoshi end can and make a claim, they won't necessarily pay out for another Yoshi) - and in the case of "swap" parts such as exhausts, many owners will keep the old ones anyway if they ever sell the bike (thus not impossible that the insurer would use it to minimise payout, ie, why would you want 2 standard exhausts); maybe a good idea to check small print in your policy before buying into it.

Pat

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 February 2013, 11:04:42 pm »
I usually ask / inform my insurer as I make changes - that way they can't argue the "we didn't know" point. Haven't increased the price, but mine is due in 4 weeks time so we'll see.

I read that story about MCE allowing mods at no extra cost - the kicker is that they insist on original replacements in a claim (ie, if you get a Yoshi end can and make a claim, they won't necessarily pay out for another Yoshi) - and in the case of "swap" parts such as exhausts, many owners will keep the old ones anyway if they ever sell the bike (thus not impossible that the insurer would use it to minimise payout, ie, why would you want 2 standard exhausts); maybe a good idea to check small print in your policy before buying into it.

A replacement original can for a gen 1 thou is £850, a Yoshi is I suspect somewhat cheaper, as are most aftermarket parts unless you're looking at carbon wheels or Brembo Monoblocks etc, so I don't think they'll be insisting on replacing much damaged aftermarket stuff with original parts.  :)

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 February 2013, 12:48:16 pm »
Funnily enough after commenting on this the other day I got my renewal quote letter today.

I gave them a phone and added my aftermarket mods, exhuast, K&N air filter, braided brake lines, added legal cover (£40 option) and after all that my new quote was £30 cheaper than what they origionally quoted me in the renewal letter. always worth giving them a phone  :D
« Last Edit: 13 February 2013, 10:54:12 pm by Chris »

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 February 2013, 09:46:07 pm »
A mate had leaky rear shocks on his GSX1400 and a pair of Ohlins was cheaper than the crappy OEM parts.

Mickey
Sent from my villa in the South of France.