Date: 20-05-24  Time: 03:56 am

Author Topic: Winter riding on the fazer  (Read 6744 times)

stinch182

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Winter riding on the fazer
« on: 17 November 2013, 10:21:00 am »
Hi guys . Is there anyone else riding there fazer through the winter ? I rode my 125 all last winter and was fine now I've got a tad more power any advice tips and general advice for keeping me upright and safe .
Cheers Adam

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Winter riding on the fazer
« Reply #1 on: 17 November 2013, 03:39:16 pm »
The main thing is to be gentle on the throttle and lots of observation so that you're not caught out with unexpected stupidity from cagers. Also that salt and grit can cause loss of grip too.

Mickey
Sent from my villa in the South of France.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #2 on: 17 November 2013, 04:45:44 pm »
Is there anyone else riding there fazer through the winter ? I rode my 125 all last winter and was fine now I've got a tad more power any advice tips and general advice for keeping me upright and safe .

Always adjust your speed to the conditions and don't get pushed into riding beyond what you feel comfortable with. If visibility is poor or there's grit on the road use the throttle gently to avoid wheel spin, similarly, manoeuvre smoothly, abrupt changes to throttle or direction can cause you to slide.

And if you're not comfortable in the conditions, don't ride.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 November 2013, 05:33:47 pm »
And keep a good gap between you and that cager in front, especially in the wet - chances are, he can stop quicker than you can. Remember too, tyres take longer to warm up in the cold conditions. In winter, it's not so much about fun as staying in one piece. There'll still be enjoyable bits though. Riding safely and smoothly makes you feel as good as riding fast.  :)

dBfazer600

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I is Zedonk
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 November 2013, 06:15:07 pm »
The quicker you are the quicker your reactions and observations need to be so take it easy. Do not forget to check your tyre pressers regulery as the temp drops so will your PSI. I grease up all the moving parts and use scottoiler 365 after a days run.

Ride Safe

Daz
She Ain't Exactly Pretty, She Ain't Exactly Small, Fourt'two Thirt'ninefiftysix

You Could Say She's Got It All.

flesh

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 November 2013, 11:45:37 pm »
I ride all year round in "most" conditions and, apart from the usual advice that has been given about riding style etc, my big piece of advice is to keep yourself warm and dry.
If you are warm and comfortable then you will feel better on the bike. Invest in decent clothing, layer up and wear waterproofs to keep the wind off. Then just try and relax and enjoy  :)
There is a semi-famous quote of "there is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing"  ;)
........oh and don't ride in the snow....

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 November 2013, 12:04:38 am »
Make sure your gear is  warm and doesn't leak!

Seriously, I came up the M3 last March in a blizzard. All the cagers decided it was time to play pack animals, and drive at 70. Which was 20mph than I was comfortable with really. And my visor misted up, and my trousers leaked, and my balls froze, and I was bloody miserable and jumped into a hot bath the minute I got home. If you're cold & miserable, you worry about how cold and miserable you are, not on the road!

I'd recommend using the brakes to a minimum, and use the rear brake more than usual. As I found to my cost, even touching the front brake on an icepatch means the bike is hitting the deck. If the rear slips, there's a greater chance of saving it!

Other than that, apply common sense and you can't go far wrong!  :)

The Deef's apprentice

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 November 2013, 08:56:34 am »
my visor misted up, and my trousers leaked, and my balls froze, and I was bloody miserable
Ah fond memories of a 17year old fazersharp, did that for 4 years, and reminds me why I brought a car and vowed never to ride in the ice and wet again when I started riding again.I get ridiculed for being a fair weather rider--yeh I am and proud of it, I did my time in the rain and ice when I had to and im not doing it now I don't need to. I understand that some people have no choice, I do ride all year around so that means in the cold, you need layers I  wear 3 long sleeve thin thermal types and my top tip for keeping warm is get yourself a wide kidney belt, these are stretchy neoprene and fit snug around you with Velcro. I also have cut a large chest plate out of a camping matt that gets tucked in my jacket and blocks any wind as well as being warm. Another tip is when you are at traffic lights - the 600fzs has lovely hot potatoes sitting under the tank (cam tops) and in very easy reach so just grab these while you are waiting and the heat will slowly work its way through until the next lights
« Last Edit: 20 November 2013, 08:57:35 am by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 November 2013, 09:05:08 am »
Yesterday, as well as full lined textiles, top and bottom, I had M&S thermal long johns, a Rab merino/cocona long sleeve top, and Patagonia ultra light down-filled shirt. Both tops are long enough to tuck well into trousers so sealed at the waist. The down top has a Pertex equivalent shell and so is totally windproof - I can't stress enough how much difference this makes. Pertex is light, breathable and windproof, and makes an ideal layer with other clothing. I just was not aware of the cold temperatures in this rig, and I'm one to feel the cold quite acutely.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 November 2013, 09:34:50 am »
By useing the items I said I can get away with useing the same leather jacket I use in the summer, I dont know about all this space age playtex stuff, your long johns reminded me that my legs dont get cold in leathers and at the knees I have the normal pads and sliders that protect from cold wind, I find that if I try and put thicker socks on then the extra tightness maks my feet colder, so I just go for extra long socks. Oh and tuck your vest in your pants!!!

Gav

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 November 2013, 09:43:35 am »
When I was seventeen riding my Suzuki RG125 to work 16 mile journet to Weymouth, I didn't have any decent riding gear except for a helmet n gloves.  Trainer boots with plastic carrier bags as water proofing socks, regular walking waterproof trousers and a crappy camo jacket.   Bloody horrible.  If my son gets a bike I will make sure he has decent gear for sure. 

I only really feel the cold in my hands and heated grips have helped with that.  I may get some other thermal clothing now the cold is setting in because My gentleman region seems to dissapear inside my body after riding for an hour this time o year lol.  Go for a pee when I get to work and OHMYGOD where is it??!
This week I've been mostly tinkering in the garage

stinch182

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 November 2013, 09:54:54 am »
Thanks for all the tips and storys . I've got pretty good textiles and thermal base layers . On the look out for new boots as my spada boots have split across the sole on my right foot so wind rain and cold get in . Been looking at sidi boots and rev it apache boots . Going to mcl this Sunday so hopefully find myself a bargain .
As far as storts go when I was 17 I had a Honda nsr 125 and wore leather all year ... Not the best in freezing weather think my nuts have only just come back out ....
Adz

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 November 2013, 11:04:03 am »
This morning doing the 50 mile round trip from home to dropping my step daughter off at wymonham college then back I made the dreaded mistake of thinking the rain was going to be reasonably light so leaving my glove cuffs on the outside of my jacket as they are an arse to tuck inside...25 miles later water was getting in and despite heated grips my hands were freezing. Stupid mistake, once any part of your set up is breached things get worse very quickly don't they :( I noticed yesterday that for the first time this year it was so cold I couldn't ride with my flip up helmet open, that same cold this morning on top of water getting in made my hands feel like weird freezing/burning balloons, and that's when it becomes difficult to use them properly and safely with throttle brake clutch etc...like I said a stupid mistake given all the years I've been riding. It's made my mind up to splash ou on some new winter gloves with smaller cuffs, just been reading a visor down post on ten best winter gloves for under a hundred quid...makes interesting reading how absolutely crap some are!

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 20 November 2013, 11:09:45 am »
Oh, and when you have the frankly terrifying responsibility of somebody else's daughter on the back of your bike on a morning like today's in rush hour traffic of dim witted half asleep cagers peering through their misted up windows like mr magoo on roads like polished glass, having ABS is worth every bloody penny and more..

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20 November 2013, 11:44:38 am »
Roll on next summer.....5 days off and just one in which I got to do a decent ride - bored with this winter weather already. Oh well, only 4 more months of it.....if we're lucky  :\

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 20 November 2013, 10:51:05 pm »
Did about 100 miles yesterday wearing this Keis X10 heated vest for the first time http://www.keisapparel.co.uk/bodywarmers/ Even on the lowest setting made a big difference. Gentle heating around the lower back makes you nice and comfy and gets rid of the shivers, especially on the motorway in the dark !

Fuzzy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 21 November 2013, 01:57:47 am »
Another tip is when you are at traffic lights - the 600fzs has lovely hot potatoes sitting under the tank (cam tops) and in very easy reach so just grab these while you are waiting and the heat will slowly work its way through until the next lights

Ha, not just me then! It does the trick when riding in town, saves me using the heated grips & draining the battery.

Something not mentioned yet is taking a spare pair of gloves and an extra layer, jumper etc, with you on longer journeys. Cold sodden gloves are not nice and an extra layer can make all the difference if the temp drops later on.

Sealskinz socks are good when it's pouring, more reliable than most wp boots, even goretex. Talking of boots, trials boots (I have Gaerne Balances) are good for their sturdiness and grippy soles. Held gloves are my choice for winter. If it's very wet consider wearing waterproofs over your winter/wp textile gear (unless you're in the lucky minority who wears ridiculously expensive goretex proshell stuff). A clean + Nikwaxing/ water repellant treatment before winter is a good idea too.

ACF50ing & greasing relevant parts of the bike. Get a bigger screen. Tyres need to be good.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 21 November 2013, 10:05:21 am »
Heated vests/ heated grips,---------------------- don't get too cosy as you might fall asleep

peterjca

« Reply #18 on: 21 November 2013, 01:10:58 pm »
As others have said, gentle throttle, no sudden braking, plan ahead better,  good headlights, make sure your battery is charged up and not on the way out and that your bike is in decent condition -- you don't want to break down in these cold, dark and wet times. Ensure you're comfortable and warm. A scarf or muffler for the neck is a must. Last night, coming home from Staines, my neck felt like a glacier from the cold blast. I'd forgotten my scarf. You don't need distractions like that! There will be more traffic jams at this time of year. Be very careful when filtering -- drivers' minds will definitely be elsewhere in these conditions.

Above all, do not panic if you feel uncomfortable. Slow and steady. Don't grab front brake!

Above all, enjoy it. It is challenging riding conditions which will improve your skills.

I ride all year round, except when it's snowy/icy or strong winds.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 21 November 2013, 01:16:45 pm »
Oh I forgot another one- I wear a buff neck scarf thing all year around, keeps the wind blast off my neck in the winter and the the bees and wasps out in the summer
« Last Edit: 21 November 2013, 01:17:16 pm by fazersharp »

jason1

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 21 November 2013, 02:38:15 pm »
I use the M3 most of the year for work , gets bloody cold . Thin layers are good and recently started using baselayers from DIDOO (italian make) you can get from ebay . They are great tops and priced very well . Gloves with extra thin liners .
Just take it easy on the road , there is def no rush in this weather . Not ridden in snow for years , but might have to this year which im def not looking forward too .   

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
    • Beginner Biker Adventures
« Reply #21 on: 21 November 2013, 04:33:49 pm »
Yeah rode all through last winter. But TBH, down here in London almost all the roads stayed clear, was only one day when my side street had 3" of snow that I decided not to ride.

The others have covered most of the important stuff - staying warm.
Base layers, thick or two pairs of socks, thick fleece neck tube, lightweight fleece under jacket too.
Heated gloves are what you really need. But muffs, heated grips etc can also see you through.

Other stuff you really need:-
ACF50 your bike, now. Right now! Go order some off ebay, and cover your bike before you stick salt on the roads.
Pinlock visor. It'll solve all your misting up problems (unless you wear glasses) and you'll wonder why you never got one before.
Make sure you battery is decent. The winter is not the time to be riding about with a battery on the way out.
Stick some WD40 under your seat. Came back to my bike once after work, covered in ice and spent 20 mins faffing about freeing up ignition to turn key and start it!
Stick a torch under seat, there's feck all daylight and you never know when you need to check something out on the bike.
Pop some spare bulbs under seat too.
Get a mini bottle of visor cleaner, in this shit weather you'll need it most days. Better still, get some water repellent stuff for your visor too.
Go over all your kit with some conditioner and waterproofing stuff. NikWax do a good Gloveproof to waterproof you gloves.
The juries still out on effectiveness, but a hi-vis is worth considering now the nights are drawing in. Personally, even if it just prevents a smidsy once in a blue moon, it's still worth the money. Plus it's an extra layer from the elements.

As for rider style:
Slow and steady, no jerky movement, speed changes. Drop a gear and use engine braking more. In the wet 50/50 front and back brakes, on the ice, almost entirely back brake.
When cornering, rather than leaning the bike, lean your body off the bike whilst keeping bike more upright. This will still shift centre of gravity, but help prevent you exceeding grip limit of tyres.
Loosen your elbows, get your weight off the bars to lighten up the steering and in turn help maintain better grip on the front.
But ultimately, read the road further ahead and anticipate upcoming stuff and give yourself plenty of time to slow down.

msmudge

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 21 November 2013, 04:40:59 pm »
Winter riding is all about common sense, good clothing, a good cigarette lighter to heat your key when your ignition freezes and watching the weather forecast.

Enjoy.

wickedmonkey

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 04 December 2013, 09:17:56 am »

Interesting thread with good info. Only been riding since August 2013 and am wondering how far into the winter I can ride.

... It's made my mind up to splash ou on some new winter gloves with smaller cuffs, just been reading a visor down post on ten best winter gloves for under a hundred quid...makes interesting reading how absolutely crap some are!

I bought some Weiss Legend gloves (about £60) on the basis of a Visor Down test and I'm not too impressed. It's not been too cold yet down here in Kent but my finger tips and thumb have been freezing on my throttle hand. Maybe my expectations are unrealistic since I'm pretty inexperienced? They don't seem to be totally windproof either. They are, however, waterproof, not too bulky and have nice grippy fingertips.

AdieR

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 04 December 2013, 10:11:23 am »
I have a pair of Ixon gloves, paid about £25 for them, and I swear by them in cold weather; go try them.