Date: 27-04-24  Time: 16:09 pm

Author Topic: Squawking noise on and off  (Read 6145 times)

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: Squawking noise on and off
« Reply #50 on: 29 March 2019, 08:46:10 pm »
My missus squawks when I ride on her  ;)
Does the frequency of her squawk change with speed? Does she squawk on acceleration or deceleration? We're going to need more information to solve this one. Maybe some pictures and a video of the squawk :rollin :lol

Dynspud

• Club Racer
  • Rattle your goddamn head!!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - HD Dyna Wide Glide Evo
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 30 March 2019, 07:37:47 pm »
Definitely squawks on acceleration; tends to be more of a moan on deceleration  :lol
Take a deep breath, coz it all starts now, when you pull the foccin' pin

shieldr

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Squawking noise on and off - sorted I think
« Reply #52 on: 02 April 2019, 08:21:28 am »
I did 2 things and the noise has gone for now.

added a smidgeon of oil that I don't think was necessary

Removed the front wheel, checked the bearings to be OK and added a bit of grease.

I guess my lesson learned now when she is squawking is to check the safety stuff by a process of elimination.  i.e. brakes, chain, wheel bearings, drive bearings and add a wee bit of grease.  I did not think that kind of noise would come from the wheel.

Hey ho thanks for all the tips, hi-jacks and  connotations  :rollin.  Am a bit handier with the bike now

TOM VR46

• DAS Born Again
  • NEW TO FAZER FORUM
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 02 April 2019, 02:32:04 pm »

Have been watching this and it has been good reading all ideas on the Squawking noise. So ive had just a wee thought. Front wheel off. Was the front wheel torqued up too much ? If the spacer on axle had a rounded face - inside face - then your front wheel has been torqued up to much and it would make a noise. The wee bit of grease always helps.
Added a wee bit of oil. Has your engine had right oil level ? All engines make some sort of noise under or on acceleration. No two engines are the same. When your doing an oil change you will notice a change in engine noise as fresh oil in there helps keep them sweet. Also different oil's will change the pitch of your engine.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 03 April 2019, 06:36:31 am »
Due to peoples different ideas of describing sounds, have a look on YouTube at cam chain noise/ticking, seeing as it's not been mentioned.
Bit of a wild guess but worth ruling out just in case.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=fzs+600+cam+chain+noise
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 03 April 2019, 07:21:36 pm »
If it comes back try taking your helmet off and listen for where it's coming from.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 03 April 2019, 08:06:44 pm »
Terribly difficult to pinpoint a noise when the bike needs to be moving.
I had a strange buzzing noise for months that has now disappeared but i still have no clue whatever caused it?

stevie-g1968

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 06 April 2019, 10:27:24 am »
I used to get this.. could hear it around 30mph or so... it went after I had tyres fitted and the fitted gave the speedo drive in the wheel a thin smear of grease.
FOCing down under.......dodging vacant Skippy's.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 12 April 2019, 06:45:21 am »
I noticed something yesterday that could well be the culprit of the mystery noise on my bike, and maybe a few others too.
I just happened to glance down at the front mudguard extender and couldn't help but think it was hugging the tyre a bit closer than i remember when it was fitted.
My one is not glued on, i've used the 3 plastic rivets it came with and drilled holes through the standard mudguard to fix it on properly.

On closer inspection though i could see that the centre bottom part of the extender has a little upside down 'V' shape in it where the tyre has rubbed on it and worn through it.
It had a good 6 or 7mm gap when stationary, but i reckon that a combination of bike vibration, plus the tyre movement, sucks the extender towards the tyre just enough for it to skim it and make the circular grating noise that's been driving me potty for months now.
It would also explain the reason why when i pull the clutch in the noise will stop because i'm cutting out the bike vibrations.
Don't know if it can be moved back slightly, but it would seem that over time the extender has sort of curled itself towards the tyre just enough to make this irritating grinding noise.   
Problem solved.....for my bike anyway.  :think