Date: 28-04-24  Time: 16:41 pm

Author Topic: Remember " fast bikes" magazine?  (Read 3067 times)

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
Remember " fast bikes" magazine?
« on: 19 September 2014, 04:57:42 pm »
Do you also remember "sonic" ie john cantlie the road tester? That's the hostage Isis are threatening to behead
next...
Daft bugger got kidnapped before in Syria, got released, went back, kidnapped again..

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
Re: Remember " fast bikes" magazine?
« Reply #1 on: 19 September 2014, 07:25:21 pm »
Nope never read Fast Bikes.

But Jesus I hope he gets out or escapes again.

Not good.

redfox1

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 September 2014, 08:50:05 pm »
Was it Fast Bikes,or something called Performance Bikes that rated the Fazer in their top 50 ?_Anyhow,let's hope he can come out of it OK!

Kosmic Kartman

• Photo comp trophy
    July & September 2010
  • GP Hero
  • Champion on two, three & four wheels
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM640LC4SM, XRX125SM
    • View Profile
    • Trackart.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: 19 September 2014, 09:11:12 pm »
I remember Fast bikes mag. I got offered a job once as a graphic designer in Orpington.

Anyway, So John has already dodged a bullet once out there and now he's gone back to the firing range for more!

Okay. I'm not saying it's his fault or anything, and I hope he comes out of it with his head still on but the enemy out in that part of the world have no uniforms or rules of engagement. You never know who you're up against. Experienced reporter or not if you're out in a war zone and you don't know who you're fighting you have to expect that anything can happen. I probably think he knows the risks.

Best of luck John Cantlie.

Some say that he eats habanero chilli peppers dipped in oil of capsaicin for extra bite and that his pyjamas are made from Nomex. All we know is, he's called Ad the Bad

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 September 2014, 10:13:47 am »
Fast Bikes mag is based in Bath, and still going strong.
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

Kosmic Kartman

• Photo comp trophy
    July & September 2010
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • Trackart.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: 20 September 2014, 10:58:38 am »
Fast Bikes mag was originally owned by IPC Media with design studios based in Chelsea and Croydon before being sold to SPL publishing and moving to studios in Oprington.

Their address was at Berwick House, 8-10 Knoll Rise, Orpington, Kent BR6 0PS.

Don't know when they moved to Bath or who publishes the mag now but they were in Orpington about 15 years ago in very cramped offices. I've still got page layouts I did for them on one of my old Apple Macs.
« Last Edit: 20 September 2014, 11:00:05 am by Kosmic Kartman »
Some say that he eats habanero chilli peppers dipped in oil of capsaicin for extra bite and that his pyjamas are made from Nomex. All we know is, he's called Ad the Bad

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 September 2014, 11:48:32 pm »
Future Publishing/Media are the owners now thats all i know.
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
  • There is only one form of racing, road racing.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2017 MT-09 Tracer ABS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 September 2014, 11:53:46 pm »
Caught once and released, went back and caught again, fecking idiot. Not really a lot of sympathy here. Do hope he gets out but when he gets back home his passport should be cancelled.
MT-09 Tracer for those who no longer can handle a BIG boy Fazer

Kosmic Kartman

• Photo comp trophy
    July & September 2010
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • Trackart.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: 21 September 2014, 01:15:14 am »
Caught once and released, went back and caught again, fecking idiot. Not really a lot of sympathy here. Do hope he gets out but when he gets back home his passport should be cancelled.

I Think "fecking idiot" is a bit strong. The man's a professional journalist. That's his job. Would you say the same thing about John Simpson or any other news reporter that goes to a war zone or region of hostility to write and report about what's happening?

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 September 2014, 09:06:05 am »

I Think "fecking idiot" is a bit strong. The man's a professional journalist. That's his job. Would you say the same thing about John Simpson or any other news reporter that goes to a war zone or region of hostility to write and report about what's happening?

So because he is a professional journalist he is not a fecking idiot, ah well I suppose thats alright then if you say so. So what is your opinion about the Brit taxi driver that is being held as well, He was well warned not to enter Syria but he still went, a caring man who sadly may lose his life but still a fecking idiot an all. Maybe some of these folk should put their own families feelings first.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 September 2014, 09:14:53 am »
It does not look good for him.

But you never know.   There are others in the area trying to negotiate his release.

His biggest problem is of course his passport, assuming that is  he travels on a British passport (lots of UK journalists try to get Irish passports).  John Simpson travels on an Irish Passport. 

What we did to Iraq was criminal.

He's a brave man.  I hope he is released. 

Pat

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 September 2014, 10:12:29 am »

So because he is a professional journalist he is not a fecking idiot, ah well I suppose thats alright then if you say so. So what is your opinion about the Brit taxi driver that is being held as well, He was well warned not to enter Syria but he still went, a caring man who sadly may lose his life but still a fecking idiot an all. Maybe some of these folk should put their own families feelings first.

Myself, like I suspect most folk on here have been warned off countless times about riding bikes due to the inherent risk involved in doing so. Therefore by your logic you're saying that in the event of a fatality or serious injury we'd be fecking idiots for not putting our families feelings above our desire to ride?

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21 September 2014, 10:36:12 am »

Myself, like I suspect most folk on here have been warned off countless times about riding bikes due to the inherent risk involved in doing so. Therefore by your logic you're saying that in the event of a fatality or serious injury we'd be fecking idiots for not putting our families feelings above our desire to ride?

Do you ride your bike like a fecking idiot??if so perhaps people are trying give you sound advice.

gassitt

• Local user
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Got lots of others
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 September 2014, 11:09:01 am »
It was Superbike and T.W.O   that Sonic was a journo/editor with . He left Superbike to start TWO

Pat

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 September 2014, 02:48:47 pm »

Do you ride your bike like a fecking idiot??if so perhaps people are trying give you sound advice.

Which part of 'inherent risk' did you fail to understand?

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 21 September 2014, 03:35:02 pm »

Which part of 'inherent risk' did you fail to understand?

Life is an inherent risk, I spent 43 years of my life in one of the most dangerous occupations going. I am well aware what inherent risk is. The point is how you manage the risk. Deliberately putting yourself in harms way is in my book not managing that risk.