Date: 28-04-24  Time: 01:08 am

Author Topic: Stripping/Rebuilding Fazer  (Read 2116 times)

Steve1rc

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Stripping/Rebuilding Fazer
« on: 23 August 2014, 10:12:49 pm »
After a year or so of sitting dormant, I'm finally getting around to returning my FZS600 to it's former glory.

I know very little about the mechanics of the bike, but I enjoy a good challenge! I had the bike MOT'd yesterday, planning on using the failure points as places to look at on the bike, yet somehow it passed?! Just an advisory about pitting on the forks.

I was wondering if anyone could help with a couple of the places I should give the most attention. I was planning on doing the filters, carbs and downpipes as the bike seems to drop power when the throttle is opened up (I've seen a couple of threads mentioning it). There seems to be exhaust fumes leaking from the link pipe (I think it is, between exhaust can and downpipes) as well. I'll be fully rebuilding and replacing fairing, so any ideal places to upgrade may be worth looking at also!

Any help/tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks all!
« Last Edit: 23 August 2014, 10:19:01 pm by Steve1rc »

Yamazer-92

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TL1000S
    • View Profile
Re: Stripping/Rebuilding Fazer
« Reply #1 on: 23 August 2014, 11:54:10 pm »
Improved mirrors
New DID X ring heavy duty chain and sprocket set
New OEM front brake switch, adjusted rear to spec.
Front fork rebuild including all new bushes, seals, 15W oil and new stanchion.
Full service - new oil and OEM oil filter, new OEM fuel filter, K &N air filter, iridium plugs, NGK plug caps, HT leads trimmed.
Lubed and adjusted all cables.
Brand new Metzeler Z8 tyres front and rear
Set rear shock preload to higher setting
Balanced carbs and adjusted TPS
New ferodo platinum front brake pads
Custom Seat fitted, slightly raised from standard.
25mm Jack Up Kit Fitted
Shock linkage bearings cleaned and re-greased
Stainless Downpipes Fitted
Mivv Stainless oval exhaust can fitted
New OEM Clutch Springs Fitted
Stainless Radiator cover fitted
Stainless Brake lines fitted
Fazer 1000 Rear caliper fitted
Upgraded engraved torque arm fitted
Front end naked conversion
Clear Mini indicators
Renthal Bars fitted
Caliper seals replaced with new OEM
Rear Hugger

This is pretty much everything I have done with my Fazer that I bought 2 years ago. I have now put about 11k on it and over time it has become more and more the bike I always wanted it to be. I did all of this work myself, so it is definitely do able. The pitting on my forks meant I had to rebuild one of them including a new stanchion which all in all was about £200 or so, felt great afterwards though so I would start there. Only other things to watch out for would be front sprocket washer upgrade (loads of info on here), leaky original downpipes under engine...erm think that could be about it for major issues. Cam chains can rattle a bit but if it silences after a few miles not much to worry about. Keep on top of basic maintenance and this bike will look after you. I can wholly recommend taking the naked option instead of a fairing rebuild! Bit of work involved, but looks much better in my opinion, far more comfy riding position and you dont get air tubocharged into the space under your helmet. It also looks better and gives the bike more character, but that is just my opinion! Good luck anyway mate, when winter comes plenty of ACF 50 and try to resist jet washing and you should be all good!

Steve1rc

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 August 2014, 12:15:38 am »
Wow, thankyou Yamazer! That's pretty much all the info I could have hoped for, I'll start working my way through those, seeing what needs doing :)

You mentioned fz1 calliper on rear, is that to match up with what I believe is an R1 brake upfront? (Read somewhere a while ago I think)

Yamazer-92

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TL1000S
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 August 2014, 12:42:41 am »
Glad it's useful to you! Some others that are more expert with the Fazer will chip in with other info I'm sure. They do have the old R1 blue spot calipers on the front yeah, excellent brakes if you keep them well maintained which is pretty easy. Check out a guy on youtube called "delboys garage" for any brake maintenance vids his stuff is usually excellent although he can ramble a bit and is very "old school".

The FZS 1000 rear caliper is a mod that a fair few people have done on here, it replaces the standard caliper for a blue spot caliper like we have on the front. I did it because my old one kept siezing and I thought aesthetically it looked a lot nicer. There is definitely more power and feel in the FZS 1000 rear caliper now that I have got used to it, but the old one when working correctly was plenty powerful and lets be honest the front brakes are where the real braking is done. I would say that your main priorities would be:

Make sure pitting on your forks isn't too serious, check it isn't in the fork travel area as it could rip up your seals.
Check all bearings are good - So front wheel, rear wheel, swing arm, headstock etc.
May as well do a full service, it is reasonably cheap and easy. So new oil (motorcycle specific 10 40), oil filter, oil drain plug and washer, coolant change as likely not been done for a while (rad flush while you're there and refill expansion tank under seat)
Check the condition of all your spark plugs as this will indicate how your bike is running, consensus on here is the Fazer runs a bit rich from the factory so could be a tad sooty.
Make sure there is no exhaust leak, if there is you can use Gun Gum but it doesn't last forever so may need a new link pipe to downpipe gasket.
I would definitely whack a K&N air filter in if there isn't one already.
Balance carbs and check TPS sensor. Also check rubber inlets from engine to carbs for splits and cracks.
Make sure battery is good.
That would be a good start  :)