Date: 16-05-24  Time: 06:21 am

Author Topic: Puncture safe anyone?  (Read 2957 times)

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
Puncture safe anyone?
« on: 03 April 2013, 10:50:20 am »
after 2 punctures days apart and needing a new rear at £100 I was asked at the bike shop if I'd be interested in "Puncture safe" £35 for both wheels and he says he uses it on his own bikes
this is like the gooey stuff you put in push bike tyres and seals the puncture instantly (have used this type of stuff  on my MTB in the past and it was brilliant)
anyone used it yet on their m/bike and any good or bad reviews?
cheers
fire never sleeps

Liroka

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Puncture safe anyone?
« Reply #1 on: 03 April 2013, 11:48:27 am »
I think the intended use is just to keep your tyre inflated until you can get it seen to / replaced. I don't think I could trust it enough to keep riding until I needed a new tyre.

Google Cranium: The Browser For Your Brain.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #2 on: 03 April 2013, 11:51:05 am »
I've had it in my tyres for almost four years now (not the same tyres for four years!) although I've never needed it to work (thank the gods!) but it's useful for the peace of mind knowing that anything short of a major hole will be dealt with.

All you need to do is to give your tyres a check over to make sure there's nothing stuck in them and you don't need to worry :)

BTW if you hear people saying that tyre places hate it or that it unbalances the wheel, this is BS, it simply washes out of the old tyre and it forms a thin layer around the inside so there are no balance problems.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 April 2013, 11:51:58 am »
I think the intended use is just to keep your tyre inflated until you can get it seen to / replaced. I don't think I could trust it enough to keep riding until I needed a new tyre.

No, it's a permanent fix, not a "get you home" job. Once it plugs the hole it can be ridden on indefinitely.

Liroka

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 April 2013, 12:07:12 pm »
Cheers Grahamm, I always thought these types of thing were only temporary and not a permanent fix.

May well be worth getting some considering the state of the lane out the back of mine which I have no option but to ride down. I've already had 3 punctures from it. [size=78%] [/size]
Google Cranium: The Browser For Your Brain.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 April 2013, 12:14:35 pm »
Cheers Grahamm, I always thought these types of thing were only temporary and not a permanent fix.

You're welcome.

Incidentally, if you search on this, you may find articles quoting Bridgestone and Dunlop saying they don't recommend it or approve its use in their tyres as it could invalidate your warranty, but those come from several years ago when this was first introduced.

There seems to have been very little comment from them subsequently, despite people asking for clarification from them, but I think that were it to cause problems, they would have come to light in the past few years.

There's also the argument that you shouldn't do repairs on "high speed tyres", but unless you're actually planning on pushing your bike up to 140mph or so, I'm not sure that would be an issue for most people! :)

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 April 2013, 02:07:43 pm »
Nooj and his better half have clocked up over 100k between them, mix of commuting and touring, with puncture safe and it has stopped a few big punctures - and as graham says, it's a permanent solution (as long as the hole is less than 6mm IRC)

I've got it in my fazer, as far as I know it hasn't been needed :-)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Aegis Bearing Mel

• FOC-U Instakok ('05)(TM) - Just add alcohol
    Geographically Disorientated Foccer
    Stealthy for a not so fat c**t
    FOC-U DIY Disaster
    Poof the Magic Dragon
    FOC-U Fudge hunting tranny smasher
  • Administrator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 April 2013, 04:29:24 pm »
I've used it for years, saved me countless new tyres as I seem to be magnetic.
 :\

Once it's in, it's in.
I rode to Germany, dozen laps of the ring and then back home AFTER I'd pulled a panel pin out the back tyre, no issues at all.
Well, apart from my usual riding issues that is.
 :rollin

Well worth the peace of mind it gives you, just don't forget to do your daily/weekly checks in case there is something lurking in the tyre.
:thumbup

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 April 2013, 06:07:56 pm »
I looked into these products a while ago but never proceeded......isn't £35 on the high side?

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 April 2013, 06:29:30 pm »
Depends on your point of view.

If it saves me a couple of hours (minimum) waiting for aa, getting recovered to a tyre shop, waiting for them to finish their jam butties, and then paying (at a guess) 15 quid to plug the tyre, then I view it as an absolute bargain!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 April 2013, 06:34:51 pm »
If you meant you should be able to get it cheaper, then... I paid 22.50 for enough to do 1 rear and two front tyres (from nooj on here), so the op has been quoted about 15-20quid to install it. Half an hours work, what does a mechanic charge per hour these days? Doesn't sound too far out?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03 April 2013, 06:49:31 pm »
yes, I was comparing the price to installing it myself.

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03 April 2013, 07:42:29 pm »
My experience is that it all fine but after 18 months or so, it started to bung up the valve when performing tyre pressure checks and it really became difficult pumping air into the tyre, not sure if it breaks down after a while and caused this.
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

phil on a fazer

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03 April 2013, 08:26:57 pm »
My experience is that it all fine but after 18 months or so, it started to bung up the valve when performing tyre pressure checks and it really became difficult pumping air into the tyre, not sure if it breaks down after a while and caused this.

That happened to me too, but that was with a inner tube.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03 April 2013, 10:30:09 pm »
My experience is that it all fine but after 18 months or so, it started to bung up the valve when performing tyre pressure checks

I can't say I've ever had this problem. Given that it sits on the outside of the tyre, I'm not sure how this could happen unless it wasn't installed properly in the first place.

Noj

• DAS Born Again
  • Psych on a Bike.
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - R6
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 03 April 2013, 11:17:42 pm »
I have had it in two different bikes, and found little to no benafit. The tire could not be repaired due to the sealer in the tire, there is a limited aria that can be repaired safely. Most tires that are of a high speed rating are suggested not to be repaired, there for as others have mentioned it may be helpful as a limp home mesure.

Personally I found it to cause both bikes to be unsettled and difficult to ballance the tires, this never improved and therefore I do not use it on bikes. I can effect warm uptime in the cold. This is my opinion.

When touring I have a device that puts a rubber mushroom in the tire, which helps me get it to be replaced.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 03 April 2013, 11:21:13 pm »
I have had it in two different bikes, and found little to no benafit. The tire could not be repaired due to the sealer in the tire, there is a limited aria that can be repaired safely.

Was this Puncturesafe (aka Ultraseal) or another product?

The point about Puncturesafe is that you don't need to get the tyre repaired, it's a permanent fix.

Also I've never had a problem with it causing imbalance.