Date: 20-05-24  Time: 10:19 am

Author Topic: New speedo??  (Read 1781 times)

aac1990

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
New speedo??
« on: 11 April 2013, 09:46:58 am »
How easy is it to install a new (nicer) speedo. Basically bought a sad bike without a quality one and would love appreciate some help with getting another speedo on there. Any help would be very much appreciated, I am very new to the bike world.

cheers
AC

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: New speedo??
« Reply #1 on: 12 April 2013, 05:41:34 am »
Hey AC,

What kinda speedo you looking for? If I remember rightly your bike has been streetfightered?

Is it standard speedo/clocks you want or just different/nicer non standard ones?

Chris

It wouldn't be fun if it was easy, I just wish it wasn't this much fun.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 April 2013, 08:00:53 am »
I fitted a Koso (RX1N??) unit to my R1 fighter last year, and unless your any good with wiring, leave it well alone.

Koso are good units, but not cheap. I paid about £200 ish for mine. Looked the dogs nads though.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 April 2013, 08:02:47 am »
Just a quick example of what on on about with the wiring.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 April 2013, 08:03:38 am »
End result was good though

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 April 2013, 08:11:37 am »
Wow! Looks awesome. Nuts amount of wiring though!  :eek

Chris

It wouldn't be fun if it was easy, I just wish it wasn't this much fun.

Ruby Racing

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 April 2013, 09:20:34 am »
I fitted a Koso to my ZRX1200R and it wasn't a night mare at all. I bought a block connector that connected to the loom that went to the speedo and attached that to the Koso wiring. Now I can unplug the Koso and refit the OE clocks in seconds. The only wire I had to play around with was the permanent live feed.

I plan on fitting a Koso to my FZS600 and having looked at it (not thoroughly admittedly) it looks as though it will be a similar fairly painless install.

However I've been following this thread because I've been waiting for someone to mention that doing away with the speedo sensor and the OE speedo makes the bike run crap. I've asked on another thread what exactly happens, what the crap running symptoms are. Unfortunately I never got a definitive answer. I've run mine with the speedo sensor unplugged and then also the speedo unplugged and I didn't notice any difference. Mind you we have an island wide 40mph speed limit, so difficult to make proper use of the available revs.
Feel the Fear and do it anyway!

Read about my Project Ruby Racer - FZS 600 Custom build Click this link > > > http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,10613.0.html

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 April 2013, 09:35:25 am »
I think mine was a pain because there wasn't a plug and play loom available for that clock and my bike. I had to hardwire everything myself, and it wasn't all directly compatible. Not sure about the fazer 600 though.

packie

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Bandit 1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 April 2013, 09:41:53 am »
I fitted a Koso to my ZRX1200R and it wasn't a night mare at all.......

......... Mind you we have an island wide 40mph speed limit, so difficult to make proper use of the available revs.

You have a ZRX1200R on an island with a 40mph speed limit??? :eek

.....now that is like really having the fleas of a thousand camels invest you underpants, and  no arms to scratch with!!  :'(

Ruby Racing

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 April 2013, 11:03:10 am »
I fitted a Koso to my ZRX1200R and it wasn't a night mare at all.......

......... Mind you we have an island wide 40mph speed limit, so difficult to make proper use of the available revs.

You have a ZRX1200R on an island with a 40mph speed limit??? :eek

.....now that is like really having the fleas of a thousand camels invest you underpants, and  no arms to scratch with!!  :'(

Tell me about it.

Read about my Project Ruby Racer - FZS 600 Custom build Click this link > > > http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,10613.0.html

aac1990

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 April 2013, 10:44:48 pm »
cheers, yea the Koso speedo looks really good. I may have to get myself one - the wiring looks scary though, I may have to take it to my mechanic.
many thanks.

aac1990

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 April 2013, 06:13:54 pm »
I plan on fitting a Koso to my FZS600 and having looked at it (not thoroughly admittedly) it looks as though it will be a similar fairly painless install.

Let me know how the install goes when you get round to it. Do you reckon if I bought a Koso Speedo and took it to my garage they would be able to get it all sorted for me??

Ruby Racing

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 April 2013, 06:25:49 pm »

Let me know how the install goes when you get round to it. Do you reckon if I bought a Koso Speedo and took it to my garage they would be able to get it all sorted for me??

Well I'm not a mechanic and I'm crap with electrics and I managed it, so it should be a breeze for them.