Date: 28-03-24  Time: 09:25 am

Author Topic: Fitting Ivan`s jet kit  (Read 3347 times)

kralik

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Fitting Ivan`s jet kit
« on: 06 December 2020, 10:06:07 am »
Hi all, me again.
I am just cleaning my carbs and getting everything ready to fit Ivans full monty kit.
The only information I cannot find is, how to set up Pilot screw. Unfortunately, I did not check how many turnst it was screwed from the fully in. Haynes manual does not say anything too.
Many thanks in advance.Kralik

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
Re: Fitting Ivan`s jet kit
« Reply #1 on: 07 December 2020, 09:36:46 am »
Simple. :)

Turn the screws in fully until they just seat, then back them out 4 & 1/4 turns. 

Haynes manual would only give stock settings anyway, so not relevant for the Full Monty install.

Ivan himself says 4 & 1/2 to 5 turns out but I found that made the idle mixture a bit too rich.

kralik

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 December 2020, 10:07:43 am »
Simple. :)

Turn the screws in fully until they just seat, then back them out 4 & 1/4 turns. 

Haynes manual would only give stock settings anyway, so not relevant for the Full Monty install.

Ivan himself says 4 & 1/2 to 5 turns out but I found that made the idle mixture a bit too rich.
many thanks.i just realized that I have mixed up two screws, however I have found out already which one is the pilot screw

kralik

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 January 2021, 03:27:08 pm »
hi all again,
I have fitted the carbs into the bike few days ago, they run ok, but.... But I have realized today, that the petrol is leaking from overflow pipes while engine is running. It does not leak while the engine is swiched off.
The float high is set up based on the Ivans recommendation to 14mm.
What could it be? Have you any idea please? I fitted new seal kit into the carbs. Could it be the reason, please?

ram

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - triumph tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 January 2021, 08:32:26 pm »
did you also change the needle valve o ring?
https://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?topic=26002.msg310366#msg310366

kralik

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 January 2021, 09:11:13 pm »
Yes i replaced complete set.
In the mean time I have been adviced to tap onto the bowl while engine running. The needle might be stucked and is not closing.

kralik

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 January 2021, 09:59:50 am »
just for the information. The issue is solved currently. It seems that one of the jet was stacked open, I just tap on all the bowls.
I do not know whether this could lead to the issue too, but all draining screws on bottom of the bowls were not tighten, so the petrol was leaking through.Once I tighten the draining screws and tapped on the bowls, the petrol is not leaking.

Jays83

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - FZS1000 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 January 2021, 08:11:40 pm »
Good evening, i'm planning on ivanising my 03 fazer, can  anyone tell me witch one i should get. My bike has a pipercross airfilter and an leovince sbk slip-on exhaust. Do i need the slip on kit or is the mb kit also possible.

teecee90

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 January 2021, 09:04:43 pm »
Good evening, i'm planning on ivanising my 03 fazer, can  anyone tell me witch one i should get. My bike has a pipercross airfilter and an leovince sbk slip-on exhaust. Do i need the slip on kit or is the mb kit also possible.

Both kits will work. The MB kit just requires more effort to modify the airbox and inlet rubbers.
FZS 1000 Gen1 (2003)
Tiger 900 GT Pro (2020)

Jays83

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - FZS1000 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 January 2021, 09:22:45 pm »
Is it worth the effort?

kralik

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 January 2021, 08:20:55 am »
I dont know exactly, whether it is worth or no.For me it is, because I like to play with things, I like do modifications. It is not so much work to modify the airbox and the inlet rubbers, it just take time.

Both kits works with open air filter and slip on, just the MB kit requires mentioned modifications and it also works with full exhaust system including 4-1 headers.
So, I would say it is up to you what you want.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 January 2021, 08:34:57 am »

Are you confident the bike hasn't already been fitted with one of Ivan's kits?

I fitted several hundred to bikes owned by members of this forum over the years and I typically used Pipercross air filters in the process.  Based on the number of Gen 1 Fazers sold in the UK, there's a one in seven chance that I may have worked on your bike.

Simple ways to check include removing a carb top and inspecting the slide spring - if it's been cut and folded at one end, that's a solid indication the carbs have been worked on.

You could also remove the air filter lid and see if that has been modified, too.

As for 'is it worth it?', I think you would have several hundred very positive 'yes' responses if you could contact the owners of all the bikes I modified for them. :)
« Last Edit: 20 January 2021, 08:35:38 am by Falcon 269 »

SkidT

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1200GS LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 January 2021, 08:44:40 am »
I’ll be the first of Mike’s customers to step forward then and give a “Definately”. 👍
Mike did three of my Fazer 1000’s (Gen1). Well alright, he may have done one of them twice, a slip on kit first, then upgraded it to a Full Monty. Each upgrade made a noticeable difference. Standard to “Full Monty” on the first one was the biggest jump.
Do it, you won’t regret it. Good luck.

Jays83

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - FZS1000 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 20 January 2021, 05:54:36 pm »
I know for sure that there's no jet kit installed. I've cleaned the carb's and everything looked original. I also live in the Netherlands and as far as i know there aint many ivanized fazers over here. I'm not affraid to work on the carb's or engine and i actually like to take things apart. I will order the mb kit and with all the instructions on this forum i guess it will all be alright. Thank's for the reactions and Mike, if i mess things up may i ask for your help?

kralik

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 January 2021, 08:25:04 am »
I know for sure that there's no jet kit installed. I've cleaned the carb's and everything looked original. I also live in the Netherlands and as far as i know there aint many ivanized fazers over here. I'm not affraid to work on the carb's or engine and i actually like to take things apart. I will order the mb kit and with all the instructions on this forum i guess it will all be alright. Thank's for the reactions and Mike, if i mess things up may i ask for your help?
then the MB kit is good for you. you will enjoy the work on it.The worst part of work is to get the carbs out and back in :-D

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 21 January 2021, 08:35:38 am »

OK, good to know what you're dealing with.  Yes, MB kit definitely the way to go since you already have the air filter and less restrictive end can.

Just PM me if you need any assistance.  And don't stress about removing the carbs - it's actually quite easy.  The trick is to make sure you have sufficient clearance between the back of the carbs and the airbox stubs.  You get this by pulling the EXUP cables out from between the airbox and the frame.  There's a few other tips that are covered in the stuff you've probably found online already.  Good luck. :)

Kenbob

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 02 February 2021, 05:23:32 pm »
Yes it’s worth every penny.

Jays83

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - FZS1000 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 02 February 2021, 09:52:23 pm »
With some luck my jet kit will arive this thursday, not sure yet when i'm going to install it. I bought the bike with a broken waterpump and thats all repaired now but i only driven it once. I don't want to say it scared me but holy #@&* it's fast already. 
I would like to get a dyno run before and after so i can see what the result is.

kralik

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 03 February 2021, 06:28:33 am »
With some luck my jet kit will arive this thursday, not sure yet when i'm going to install it. I bought the bike with a broken waterpump and thats all repaired now but i only driven it once. I don't want to say it scared me but holy #@&* it's fast already. 
I would like to get a dyno run before and after so i can see what the result is.
Yes, the R1 engine is definitely scary in this bike, mainly on the standard roads and in higher revs. But the FZS version is very usefull for daily usage and even more with Ivans jet kit.

Jays83

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - FZS1000 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 04 February 2021, 05:41:39 pm »
Yes!!

kralik

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 05 February 2021, 05:00:02 am »
so I wish you good luck and have a fun! Thats not difficult job, it just takes time.

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 05 February 2021, 12:05:26 pm »

Jays83

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - FZS1000 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 05 February 2021, 02:39:04 pm »
I contacted Ivan on facebook messenger. Paid with paypal. You have to make sure your adress on paypal is correct. It took 5 days from payment to delivery.

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 07 February 2021, 09:59:58 am »
I contacted Ivan on facebook messenger. Paid with paypal. You have to make sure your adress on paypal is correct. It took 5 days from payment to delivery.

Thanks  :thumbup