Date: 30-04-24  Time: 19:20 pm

Author Topic: How many  (Read 4490 times)

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: How many
« Reply #25 on: 01 July 2017, 02:10:43 pm »
I looked at a couple of MT10 forums, and frankly they are pants – utter crap.

Could it be just that the bike is so recent, there's no real user knowledge about for them yet? If so, they do seem to be selling quite well, so I'd imagine that would improve before long.

pilninggas

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 01 July 2017, 02:46:11 pm »

For me the MT10 is the only bike that is very removed from the Fazer-family principles. The Fazers and MT03,07,09 and tracers are all do-anything bikes - it prolly why we like them. The MT10 is very much pitched at taking on big european sports muscle. As a Gen 1 thou owner, i wouldnt consider it a replacement. It's more like pure sports with no fairing.

Bought my FZS1000 new in 2004, and I was considering a new MT10 this year.   Got home improvements on my mind now.  Maybe buy the MT10 next year.
But yes, it is the evolution of the FZS1000.  The original FZS1000 took the R1 engine, retuned it for more mid-range and torque and stuck it in a everyday useable chassis/package. 
The Gen 2 became more sports or fun biased as has the MT10.  But they are still, ride all day, all-rounders.  Though I wonder if a GT Tracer (MT10, with a bigger tank, maybe a new softer chassis, half fairing and proper integrated full luggage options) is maybe on it’s way for those of us lusting after a 2018 FZS1000
Forum?  Remember the Dutch English Fazer Board?  Became Marion’s Fazer Pages or something before morphing into FOC-U.  Many thanks to all those who have been involved and run these sites for us.  Personally, I think while the evolution of the Fazer continues as the MT and Tracer series, sadly the evolution of Dutch-English-Marion-Foc-u seems to have ground to a halt.  The Fazer must have had one of the best web forums out there. 
I mean I looked at a couple of MT10 forums, and frankly they are pants – utter crap.

I've been on there quite a few times. Seem like a reasonable bunch. but, bloody hell, they were getting excited over managing 120 miles from a tank of fuel. The bloody thing has got cruise control, why not a 20 litre tank or decent cruiring economy. I want at least 155 miles out of a tank of fuel before stopping.

It's a hooligan tool, with nowhere near enough compromise for those of us who commute, tour or expect a semblance of practicality.

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 01 July 2017, 02:57:37 pm »
I quite like the MT09 and MT10 but I wouldn't buy one for the same reason I never changed from FZS1000 Gen 1 to Gen 2, the poxy tank range.

I go touring in Europe every summer and even in the UK 250 miles would be a normal ride.

Having owned a VTR100 for 6 years, which was a great bike but you go into panic mode every 100 miles and have to find a fuel station. Okay if you are in your local area or on a known route but I got fed up with it.

Gen 1 gives me 150 to 180 miles before the fuel light which is now what I expect from a bike.

Oh and not keen on the Tracers, they are supposed to be great bikes (with a bigger tank) but I am not keen on the Soft Roader plasticky looks.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 01 July 2017, 03:37:01 pm »

It's a hooligan tool, with nowhere near enough compromise for those of us who commute, tour or expect a semblance of practicality.

They didn’t have a demo available when I went in the bike shop.  If they had I might have bought that day.

So I haven’t ridden one yet.  Hey the FZS1000 was portrayed as a hooligan tool when it came out, and it can be if you want it to.  All this front wheel in the air all the time talk, isn’t that just the usual bike mag internet hype bull shit?  Sure you can, but isn’t it if you want to?

Don’t see why you can’t commute on an MT10.

Agree on the silly small tank – a pain, particularly if touring.  But maybe poor fuel consumption will improve with miles on the clock? 

If Yamaha do do the GT Tracer and get it right without softening it from the MT10, then it could be another big seller.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 01 July 2017, 04:23:45 pm »

Having owned a VTR100 for 6 years, which was a great bike but you go into panic mode every 100 miles and have to find a fuel station. Okay if you are in your local area or on a known route but I got fed up with it.

Street Triple was like that, and no fuel gauge either. I only bought it to try for local hooning, so it wasn't really a problem for me, but folks have them as an only bike and go touring on them - no thanks. Although I stop quite often on tour for leg-stretching etc, it's when you're in areas that don't have many petrol stations around it gets problematic.

A GT version of the MT10 could be awesome - can't really foc up the looks, can they?  :lol

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 01 July 2017, 06:41:41 pm »

So I haven’t ridden one yet.  Hey the FZS1000 was portrayed as a hooligan tool when it came out, and it can be if you want it to.  All this front wheel in the air all the time talk, isn’t that just the usual bike mag internet hype bull shit?  Sure you can, but isn’t it if you want to?

Don’t see why you can’t commute on an MT10.

That's 'wheelie machine' term bores me with reviews. It's an illegal thing to do on the road so why they mention it in so many road tests is beyond me. And as you said it's down to the rider anyway. To the right person a yzf125 is a wheelie machine.
I took a Ktm 1290 Super Duke out a few weeks back and all the reviews say that's a wheelie monster and untamable etc etc  to be honest I found it dull and listless as I'm not that kind of rider.

As for the MT-10, I completely agree about commuting on it. I commute on my Fz1-n.
No fairing, abysmal fuel consumption, shocking tank range, hard suspension and tuned to the point where the power is pretty much all or nothing...... but I arrive to work everyday with an empty wallet and a huge grin on my face which is why I bought it in the first place haha
« Last Edit: 01 July 2017, 06:44:12 pm by Dudeofrude »

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
  • There is only one form of racing, road racing.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2017 MT-09 Tracer ABS
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 05 July 2017, 10:02:42 pm »

Tank range is an issue with the MT09. I have done several long haul tours Sw France to N Ireland SW France to N Wales and in March this year Sw France to the Costa Blanca. If I behave myself I can get about 265 kms /165 miles to a tank but I am nearly on vapours. If hooning it in A mode do well to get 130kms /80 miles to a tank.
But to be honest that kind of range (165) suits me as Ian starting to get numb bum by then so stopping for a fill up is welcome.
My touring setup is two Shad soft panniers 45ltr and a givi tank lock bag think that is 15ltrs.
The bike is fun to ride but has to be said the rear suspension in stock is absoultely rubbish, front is not great either. I have had it setup and I can live with it.
Next long haul is back to Noth Wales again staying at the www.oakleyarms.co.uk 16 of us from all over the UK and Ireland , me I am the long distance traveller. Looking forward to it, rollon September.
MT-09 Tracer for those who no longer can handle a BIG boy Fazer