Date: 30-05-24  Time: 06:34 am

Author Topic: chain change price and good garage around Berkshire?  (Read 1974 times)

Val

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Foccer-Wulf
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
chain change price and good garage around Berkshire?
« on: 30 May 2015, 09:56:17 pm »
Hi All,

here we go. I have bought nice 2003 Foxeye. Today I have measured the chain and 10 links are 160mm. The manual says anything over 150mm it is time to do a chain change. Not too bad because I will go for some sprocket tooth change too.

I usually do simple stuff like pads change. But I am lazy and if I can find good Yamaha garage around me for a decent price probably I will avoid the whole chain/sprocket change hassle and pay a mechanic to get dirty.

Found this nice article how to change it, but the guy has lost me on regreasing the bearings. I am lazy and do noot like grease. Not a good combination for a chain change scenario.

http://www.bikesandtravels.com/biker.aspx?ride=379

Do you guys know what would be the time in hours that mechanic will charge for a FSZ600 sprockects and chain change? And how much would be the hourly rate in £££?

Finally if you can recommend me any good garage that you have used around Berkshire, Hampshire, Surrey, Oxfordshire?

thank you

cheers
Val

Adrian Monk: Unless I'm wrong, which, you know, I'm not.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: chain change price and good garage around Berkshire?
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2015, 12:04:48 pm »
My last one was one hours labour, and i tried a different bike shop that was quite close to me and got charged £60.
I believe my normal mechanic charges £50 an hour but i haven't been there for quite a while, and i'm in NW London.

Make sure you have the upgraded front sprocket nut too.

If you shine a torch onto the front sprocket nut, looking from the chain area, the old 9mm sprocket nut will not cover the shaft, so a few threads will be seen.
The new 12mm nut will be totally flush, so you won't see any exposed threads at all.
The nut only costs a few quid and needs to be changed for known safety issues, especially as the chain & sprockets are all being swapped anyway.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Val

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Foccer-Wulf
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2015, 07:50:29 pm »
My last one was one hours labour, and i tried a different bike shop that was quite close to me and got charged £60.
I believe my normal mechanic charges £50 an hour but i haven't been there for quite a while, and i'm in NW London.

Make sure you have the upgraded front sprocket nut too.

If you shine a torch onto the front sprocket nut, looking from the chain area, the old 9mm sprocket nut will not cover the shaft, so a few threads will be seen.
The new 12mm nut will be totally flush, so you won't see any exposed threads at all.
The nut only costs a few quid and needs to be changed for known safety issues, especially as the chain & sprockets are all being swapped anyway.

Thank you darrsi £60 seems to me very reasonable price for a lot of hassle with the swingarm.

Thank you for the advice I will go for 12mm nut as well.

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 May 2015, 08:37:49 pm »
I'm guessing that the prices mentioned above won't include parts etc? And if your going to a bike workshop, I'd check first to see if you can supply your own parts for them to fit. Most bike shops don't allow this :(
The other thing to take note is, if they don't supply the parts, they might not (probably won't) guarantee the work :(
« Last Edit: 31 May 2015, 08:38:46 pm by sinto »
Colin
----------------------
Ride fast, ride a red bike :-)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 May 2015, 09:13:22 pm »
I'm guessing that the prices mentioned above won't include parts etc? And if your going to a bike workshop, I'd check first to see if you can supply your own parts for them to fit. Most bike shops don't allow this :(
The other thing to take note is, if they don't supply the parts, they might not (probably won't) guarantee the work :(

If you go to a bike shop that doesn't allow this, tell them to foc off and find one that does.
I hate all that snotty attitude, and much prefer to give my money to someone who actually gives a shit about your bike and your regular custom, rather than how much they can fleece you for.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 May 2015, 09:17:40 pm »

If you go to a bike shop that doesn't allow this, tell them to foc off and find one that does.
I hate all that snotty attitude, and much prefer to give my money to someone who actually gives a shit about your bike and your regular custom, rather than how much they can fleece you for.
:agree

But unfortunately it's the norm for most places, unless you can find a genuine 'old school' guy who's not tied to any bike company/manufacturer, but unfortunately they are getting as rare as hen's teeth :(
Colin
----------------------
Ride fast, ride a red bike :-)

Mark YPVS

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - R1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 June 2015, 07:59:51 am »
Hi,

Stewart comes highly recommended, i have known him for years , good work , good price, good humor  :lol :lol :lol

[/size][size=78%]  [/size][/size]http://www.stewarts-motorcycles.co.uk/[size=78%]

[/size]Mark [size=78%] :)

Val

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Foccer-Wulf
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 June 2015, 09:37:52 pm »
Hi,

Stewart comes highly recommended, i have known him for years , good work , good price, good humor  :lol :lol :lol

[size=78%]  [/size]
http://www.stewarts-motorcycles.co.uk/

[/size]Mark :)

Thank you Mark