Date: 28-03-24  Time: 22:00 pm

Author Topic: Spark Plug Caps  (Read 1462 times)

Walkerfromwolves

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
Spark Plug Caps
« on: 08 January 2021, 01:35:20 pm »
Good Morning All,

Had a search for this but wasnt able to find an answer for the 1000 so I thought I'd ask.

I recently changed the spark plugs on my fzs1000 owing to poor fuelling and bogging down at low rpm. When I removed the spark plug cap from the plug I noticed that a bodged repair had been effected with electrical tape. This was on the cylinder which was running the coolest out of the four (Mrs was not happy using her meat temperature gauge as a thermometer!)

Anyways, ordered some NGK replacements Model SD05F. Upon arrival they are considerably shorter and are not the correct diameter at the thick end.

Does anyone know the correct model spark plug cap for the thou OEM or otherwise.?

Thanks!

Spark Plug Cap
Spark Plug Cap

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Spark Plug Caps
« Reply #1 on: 08 January 2021, 02:23:29 pm »
Yamaha part number from as per Fowlers Parts is 4XV-82370-01 not sure if that's £93.68 for 1 or all 4 though :eek

They look like rocking horse poo to get hold of reasonably so have a look in the For Sale & Wanted to see if anyone is breaking a bike, might be worthwhile sending b1k3rdude a PM or posting on his For Sale thread to see if he has any  :pokefun

Top Tip from Mike (Falcon269) if you're having issues in this area trim the leads a little where the caps screw in and refit as the ends can go brittle and split adversley affecting the connection through to the plugs.
« Last Edit: 08 January 2021, 02:24:14 pm by PieEater »

Walkerfromwolves

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 January 2021, 03:44:14 pm »
Yamaha part number from as per Fowlers Parts is 4XV-82370-01 not sure if that's £93.68 for 1 or all 4 though :eek

They look like rocking horse poo to get hold of reasonably so have a look in the For Sale & Wanted to see if anyone is breaking a bike, might be worthwhile sending b1k3rdude a PM or posting on his For Sale thread to see if he has any  :pokefun

Top Tip from Mike (Falcon269) if you're having issues in this area trim the leads a little where the caps screw in and refit as the ends can go brittle and split adversley affecting the connection through to the plugs.

Wow. No wonder it was bodged. Thanks for the heads up. Will do.

Yeah I've heard of that problem before. I think 5mm off the ends is the going advice?

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 January 2021, 05:07:31 pm »
« Last Edit: 08 January 2021, 05:41:03 pm by b1k3rdude »

Walkerfromwolves

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 January 2021, 05:34:41 pm »
What a hero.

Much better than searching for the caps alone.

Thank you.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 January 2021, 10:38:38 am »
Earlier R1's should also fit, worth a comparaison check first though ;)   
Later

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 January 2021, 11:27:53 am »
I spent about 15 minutes trying to find plug caps on ebay and parts sites trying to be helpful, didn't realise if you wanted to find plug caps you needed to search for ignition coils  :wall  Oh well lesson learned  :rolleyes  Nice find b1k3rdude  :thumbup

Walkerfromwolves

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 January 2021, 12:29:30 pm »
Yeah, a quick trawl through ebay and a set of coils are inbound for less than 30 quid!

Hopefully will rectify the bogging down or I'm in carb balancing territory next.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 January 2021, 12:48:50 pm »
didn't realise if you wanted to find plug caps you needed to search for ignition coils  :wall  Oh well lesson learned  :rolleyes  Nice find b1k3rdude  :thumbup
Your very welcome  :D

Walkerfromwolves

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 January 2021, 03:30:48 pm »
Bogging down problems fixed! The hesitation below 3k rpm has disappeared and pulls cleanly in all gears. I suspect that the spark plug cap in cylinder one (which was torn to buggery and hastily repaired) was causing that cylinder to run rich. When I pulled the plug it was pretty sooty. Anyways, a change of plugs, caps and trimming the leads seems to have cured it as well as an air filter clean.

Great feeling getting out on it again for a few miles today.