Date: 29-03-24  Time: 01:57 am

Author Topic: Brake Lines  (Read 2908 times)

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: Brake Lines
« Reply #25 on: 19 November 2020, 12:27:34 am »
Yeh the original Yamaha 'ends seem lovely and heavy.  I wonder if I wreck the Renthals trying to tap them will some aftermarket 'expanding' type still fit..?   
I've got a cheap pillar drill in the garage which will hopefully do the switchgear holes, if I can manage to mark the right spot.  I'm just putting it off really!

Don't know if the gen1 bars are the same but the I.D. of the gen2 bars are bigger than the renthals and the renthal bar ends I've got don't fit the std bars,they're to small,the expanding part even on full is to small and you can just pull them out.
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 19 November 2020, 09:14:26 am »
The inside diameter of the 758's is 14mm, and the thread for the screw in bar end weights on a Gen 1 is 16mm @16tpi. The weights on that model are nice and heavy at 308 grams and would be quite expensive to get after market of the same weight. Threading the bar ends is the stumbling block that puts some owners off using the stock weights.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 19 November 2020, 10:00:05 am »
Similar story for my Blackbird, -11 lines -~£290   :eek   -'Dual CBS Brakes'.I'd like to do it one day, but still running the originals.
Check with Honda which hoses actually need replacing, don't be pressured into replacing all of them if you don't need to.

teecee90

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 19 November 2020, 10:10:35 am »
I drilled and tapped mine no problem. Used a workmate to hold them firm. The 'drilling' was done by hand (masonry drill bit held in mole grips) - more of a reaming process really than drilling. Very little material has to be removed - I think some have managed to tap them without drilling at all, but I found it easier to ream them a bit first.
« Last Edit: 24 November 2020, 09:10:56 am by teecee90 »
FZS 1000 Gen1 (2003)
Tiger 900 GT Pro (2020)

RoyBatty

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 23 November 2020, 04:33:16 pm »
So the tapping went well  :)
Lots of oil, and just wound it in, bars mounted on the bike, backing off a bit every half turn or so, and checking left/right up/down alignment regularly.  The aluminium is surprising soft and easy to work with.
Bar ends fitted lovely!
I marked the positions for the switchgear holes, covered them in a few layers of sellotape, drilled a small pilot hole, followed by the actual drill size I wanted.
Again no problem at all, no slipping, don't know what I was worried about!

PS don't pick up the oily ally swarf with the Mrs' mini-Dyson.  Looks like I may be buying a new one of those,  Doh!