Would you be willing to take a covid vaccine  

yes
35 (71.4%)
no
6 (12.2%)
Dont know
8 (16.3%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: The Covid thread  (Read 69238 times)

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
Re: The Covid thread incl a poll
« Reply #300 on: 02 March 2021, 06:55:15 pm »
Germany and France started it cause they are unhappy its a British success and they get their noses rubbed in it by just having the name Oxford
With Germany's death rate less than half that of the UK, I don't think they need any lessons from us  :rolleyes

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: 02 March 2021, 08:15:50 pm »
BoJo ordered 340 million vaccines (about three times as many as we'd need!)

If he starts flogging them off before everyone gets a second jab, he's going to have a lot of *very* pissed off people asking questions.

Perhaps the govt foresees that we'll need an annual top up to keep on top of mutations

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: 02 March 2021, 08:18:38 pm »
We could give them to the EU -----but France and Germany don't want the Ox AZ  France has been saying the BRITISH vax basically does not work in over 65s and so wont give it out.NEWS JUST IN TODAYFrance has now changed its mind based on "encouraging" preliminary results of a large-scale study on the impact of the vaccine on COVID-19 hospitalizations among the Scottish population.THE SCOTTISH population !! France couldn't bring themselves to say British. But instead stroking crooked krankies bonnet to keep her purring and wanting to leave the UK and join the EU.

You seem to be straying into politics here tsk tsk :fish

Anyway, just to correct you, France and Germany (and others) didn't say 'it didn't work'. They said the data was incomplete. Now perhaps the Scottish data is complete. As for Britain, Johnson can't even keep data on how many children he has, let alone count effective vaccine doses.
 :oops  I seem to have strayed into politics too. :smash

Nope, thats not politics, thats personal :stop

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: 03 March 2021, 10:50:48 am »
Nope, thats not politics, thats personal

Not sure where, but I'll take your word for it.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: 03 March 2021, 11:00:58 am »
Nope, thats not politics, thats personal

Not sure where, but I'll take your word for it.

Talking about how many children borris has got. What's the relevance to a debate about anything covid.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: 03 March 2021, 11:21:09 am »
Neither has referring to the Scottish First Minister as 'crooked krankie'. So let's call it a draw  :lol

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: 03 March 2021, 12:03:28 pm »
Mtread. Have you had your vax yet.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: 03 March 2021, 03:30:16 pm »
Yep. First dose.

Waiting for the funny....  ;)

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: 03 March 2021, 04:16:10 pm »
Yep. First dose.

Waiting for the funny....  ;)
No funny.

MY mate who had a bad time after receiving the first are not looking forward to the second.

Starting to think what's the point in carrying on vaxing ever younger and younger who statistically don't get hospitalised. Just stop at 60 as an age but then carry on with all the (any age) vulnerable and people in jobs that have a lot of public contact. And then anyone else who wants it. Otherwise
I think that before all the first jabbers have had the second we will be facing a new more nasty variant that the current jabs wont touch. So what then - skip the second jab and have the new jab instead that is designed for the new strain.   
« Last Edit: 03 March 2021, 04:35:57 pm by fazersharp »

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: 03 March 2021, 06:10:51 pm »
Three of us have had the first dose of AstraZeneca. Wife and daughter (care worker) had a bad 24 hours afterwards, both taken to bed with headaches and shivers. Me, nothing at all. Perhaps I'm the one who should be worried!

I think you may be right. With so many natural mutations, the existing vaccines will not be guaranteed effective, and we will all be chasing new vaccine versions for some time.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: 03 March 2021, 06:48:34 pm »
Three of us have had the first dose of AstraZeneca. Wife and daughter (care worker) had a bad 24 hours afterwards, both taken to bed with headaches and shivers. Me, nothing at all. Perhaps I'm the one who should be worried!
Well yes that was my observation a few post ago when doctors and scientists were playing down any side effects they said that (from memory) "you want side effects because that shows that your imune system is doing its job and mounting a response" 

So by that rationale - no side effects - no immune response- no protection. There is another constant from the trails that the young are more likely to have a and or more severe reaction. But that is probably down to the fact that the trials did not have enough over 65s in it to get popper results on that. Which brings us back to the reason the EU up until now not giving it to over 65s.     

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #311 on: 04 March 2021, 12:54:55 am »
My GF, who has severe asthma, had her first jab at the end of January.

A couple of weeks ago on Saturday, despite her having been shielding for over a year, she called me downstairs saying she was not feeling well. We thought it was just another asthma flare up, but called 111 and, having been told her symptoms, they sent an ambulance.

It ended up with her being taken into hospital overnight where they confirmed that she'd contracted COVID-19. (We guess it was from a dodgy packet or food delivery she's had.)

On Friday, we'd been cuddling, on the Saturday, I spent over an hour right next to her whilst she was coughing etc, yet, even though I haven't had a jab yet, I have *not* shown any signs of the virus, even though it would normally be pretty much guaranteed that she'd have been contagious had she not had the jab.

Also she has (especially given her asthma) had a very mild case. Yes, she's been coughing, had a temperature and been tired, but, compared to some of the possible symptoms, she's got off lightly and I've got away scot free.

Now, of course this is only a single example, but it's an interesting data point.
ADDENDUM: When she had the jab, she did have some aches and felt a bit off, but nothing major.
« Last Edit: 04 March 2021, 12:55:34 am by Grahamm »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: 04 March 2021, 12:52:34 pm »
My GF, who has severe asthma, had her first jab at the end of January.

A couple of weeks ago on Saturday, despite her having been shielding for over a year, she called me downstairs saying she was not feeling well. We thought it was just another asthma flare up, but called 111 and, having been told her symptoms, they sent an ambulance.

It ended up with her being taken into hospital overnight where they confirmed that she'd contracted COVID-19. (We guess it was from a dodgy packet or food delivery she's had.)

On Friday, we'd been cuddling, on the Saturday, I spent over an hour right next to her whilst she was coughing etc, yet, even though I haven't had a jab yet, I have *not* shown any signs of the virus, even though it would normally be pretty much guaranteed that she'd have been contagious had she not had the jab.

Also she has (especially given her asthma) had a very mild case. Yes, she's been coughing, had a temperature and been tired, but, compared to some of the possible symptoms, she's got off lightly and I've got away scot free.

Now, of course this is only a single example, but it's an interesting data point.
ADDENDUM: When she had the jab, she did have some aches and felt a bit off, but nothing major.

That is interesting.
confirmed that she'd contracted COVID-19. (We guess it was from a dodgy packet or food delivery she's had.)
What do you mean.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: 04 March 2021, 01:03:51 pm »

confirmed that she'd contracted COVID-19. (We guess it was from a dodgy packet or food delivery she's had.)
What do you mean.

Because she can't go out, she's been ordering stuff she needs online, including getting take-out meals delivered.

If someone who packed one of the deliveries or made one of those meals was contagious and didn't know (or, worse, knew, but worked anyway!) then she could have picked it up that way.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: 04 March 2021, 01:12:17 pm »

What do you mean.

Because she can't go out, she's been ordering stuff she needs online, including getting take-out meals delivered.

If someone who packed one of the deliveries or made one of those meals was contagious and didn't know (or, worse, knew, but worked anyway!) then she could have picked it up that way.

But we are being told that you can not catch it from packaging or post.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: 04 March 2021, 02:40:20 pm »
Well yes that was my observation a few post ago when doctors and scientists were playing down any side effects they said that (from memory) "you want side effects because that shows that your imune system is doing its job and mounting a response" 

So by that rationale - no side effects - no immune response- no protection. There is another constant from the trails that the young are more likely to have a and or more severe reaction. But that is probably down to the fact that the trials did not have enough over 65s in it to get popper results on that. Which brings us back to the reason the EU up until now not giving it to over 65s.     

"Maybe" there were no side effects because the antibodies were already in place due to a previous infection, and simply did their job effectively?
Whereas people who get side effects may have to produce the antibodies from scratch, which is the whole point of the exercise, to lay dormant and ready for a future attack.

Sounds good in my head anyway  :lol
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: 04 March 2021, 03:03:02 pm »

"Maybe" there were no side effects because the antibodies were already in place due to a previous infection, and simply did their job effectively?
Whereas people who get side effects may have to produce the antibodies from scratch, which is the whole point of the exercise, to lay dormant and ready for a future attack.

But i think i remember reading in a scientist study or something  that you get more of a reaction if you have already had covid

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: 04 March 2021, 04:41:10 pm »

But i think i remember reading in a scientist study or something  that you get more of a reaction if you have already had covid

No big deal if you get a reaction or not as far as I'm concerned?
Will just remind of the good old days when you'd get 2 or 3 colds a year and feel like shite?
With all this distancing, mask wearing and isolating my breathing has never been better and I can't even remember the last time I had even a hint of a cold?

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: 04 March 2021, 06:10:14 pm »

Not exactly.

And, with takeaway food, it rather requires them to have taken proper precautions...

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-for-consumers-on-coronavirus-covid-19-and-food/guidance-for-consumers-on-coronavirus-covid-19-and-food

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: 04 March 2021, 08:01:41 pm »

Not exactly.

And, with takeaway food, it rather requires them to have taken proper precautions...

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-for-consumers-on-coronavirus-covid-19-and-food/guidance-for-consumers-on-coronavirus-covid-19-and-food
I don't believe what I'm told and so clean down all packaging when I bring the shopping home from the supermarket. Told (very unlikely ) to contract it from packaging but want you to not to use cash. Lab test show the virus can live on some surfaces for up to 72 hours, although a lab is not real life conditions.     

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: 09 March 2021, 12:54:28 pm »
Yay! Booked my first Covid Jab for the 22nd!

BTW I just thought I would let you all know that I volunteered for the Russian Vaccine Trial for Covid-19. It's been kept very, very quiet for security reasons. I received my first “jab” and wanted to reassure you all that it’s completely safe with иo side effects whatsoeveя, and that I feelshκι χoρoshό я чувствую себя немного странно и я думаю, что вытащил ослиные уши, comrades. :lol 
« Last Edit: 09 March 2021, 12:55:13 pm by Grahamm »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: 09 March 2021, 03:10:07 pm »
The BBC and Sky make my blood boil sometimes. When not in a lockdown they bang on at the press conference about "Why aren't we in one" then when we are in one they say "why have you shut down this or that"  They have been banging on about boris "killing people" with too late lock down or too early lockdown release. So now they are moaning why cant we do the 4 stages quicker. Prompting borris to send out his scientist puppets to give warnings about going too fast. The media news just do stuff to make their own news stories   

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: 09 March 2021, 04:52:57 pm »
A PS to my post about booking my Covid Jab:

They were offering vaccination centres based on straight-line distance.

So they suggested I could get one on the Isle of Wight...  :rolleyes

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: 18 March 2021, 12:01:04 am »
My mate has just been informed that their 2nd jab is to be delayed by a week so it will now be 13 weeks after the first.

Also Found this on the BBC website thought was interesting https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56375307 it pretty much backs up everything have said about the old not having side effects and people who have had covid in the past having a worse reaction than someone who has not had it.

My mate is convinced they had it last Feb to mid march.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: 18 March 2021, 05:59:04 am »
My mate has just been informed that their 2nd jab is to be delayed by a week so it will now be 13 weeks after the first.

Also Found this on the BBC website thought was interesting https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56375307 it pretty much backs up everything have said about the old not having side effects and people who have had covid in the past having a worse reaction than someone who has not had it.

My mate is convinced they had it last Feb to mid march.

I'm almost certain i had it in Nov'19, but as i've had the vaccine now there is no way of ever knowing for sure.