Date: 27-04-24  Time: 16:13 pm

Author Topic: summer clothing  (Read 2699 times)

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
summer clothing
« on: 07 July 2015, 08:44:32 am »
after sweating like a peado priest at an altar boys convention, for the first time ever I've seriously been considering getting some vented/aero kit

I got home after 20 miles and stripped the linings out of my textile kex and swapped me textile jacket for me leather, opened a few vents and it was bliss on the next ride

can anyone recommend any decent kit with armour?
also, given that we hardly have any decent weather over here, is it worth the money considering what little use it may get (I don't go abroad)

cheers
fire never sleeps

risticuss

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: summer clothing
« Reply #1 on: 07 July 2015, 09:38:27 am »
I've got the RST Ventilator 3 jacket and trousers and use it as my all year gear.

Brilliant in summer with the layers removed, warm enough for most of the year with just the waterproof layer in, and warm enough for the depths of winter with the thermal layer.

I've never needed the thermal layer in the trousers though.

The best £300 I've spent on gear.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 July 2015, 09:53:57 am »
I just got myself an Ixon Sismic jacket to deal with this problem. It has a thermal and a waterproof liner too, so it's quite versatile. Used it with the liners out on the day I bought it and it was bliss. Used it with liners in on the LOFO ride, and it kept me dry, but we didn't get really bad rain, so I don't know how good the waterproof layer really is. My other Ixon jacket seems pretty waterproof so far (not that I put it to the test that much), so hopeful about this one too. I wouldn't yet go so far as to recommend the summer one, but so far, so good. Armour in the usual places. £90 at Megastore, Swindon (reduced).

Kosmic Kartman

• Photo comp trophy
    July & September 2010
  • GP Hero
  • Champion on two, three & four wheels
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM640LC4SM, XRX125SM
    • View Profile
    • Trackart.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: 07 July 2015, 09:57:01 am »
I got one of these. It was worth its weight in gold when temps get hot.

Mine also came with 100% cyclone, waterproof, windproof out shell jacket. Both the inner liner and outer shell fit in the poachers pocket in the back of the mesh jacket. In terms of riding gear it's the most versatile bit of kit I have. With the quilted inner, mesh jacket and out shell combined you could wear this jacket in the Arctic. That's how good it is. Then when the snow melts, due to global warming, and the temps soar whip the shell and the liner out and you're good to go.

http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/accessoriesdetail/product=211823/levelcode=7254/catalog=2131/Fieldsheer/Mach+1+Polytitanium+Mesh+Jacket/accessories211823.htm
Some say that he eats habanero chilli peppers dipped in oil of capsaicin for extra bite and that his pyjamas are made from Nomex. All we know is, he's called Ad the Bad

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 July 2015, 10:02:34 am »
cheers, RST getting rave reviews on another site too
fire never sleeps

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 July 2015, 10:47:02 am »
JTS have vented jackets (waterproof and thermal liner) for £49.99 at the moment, not too shabby for the price.

http://www.jtsbikerclothing.com/shop/motorcycle_clothing/mens_textile_jackets/jts/jts_rock_waterproof_motorcycle_jacket/white.html

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 July 2015, 11:27:58 am »
I got one of these. It was worth its weight in gold when temps get hot.

Mine also came with 100% cyclone, waterproof, windproof out shell jacket. Both the inner liner and outer shell fit in the poachers pocket in the back of the mesh jacket. In terms of riding gear it's the most versatile bit of kit I have. With the quilted inner, mesh jacket and out shell combined you could wear this jacket in the Arctic. That's how good it is. Then when the snow melts, due to global warming, and the temps soar whip the shell and the liner out and you're good to go.

http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/accessoriesdetail/product=211823/levelcode=7254/catalog=2131/Fieldsheer/Mach+1+Polytitanium+Mesh+Jacket/accessories211823.htm

Sounds like an impressive bit of kit. I'll be bookmarking this for when I have the money :)

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 July 2015, 01:52:50 pm »
I have one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nitro-N31-Red-Waterproof-Breathable-Motorcycle-Textile-Jacket-Size-M-2XL-/171833277671?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item28020fbce7

I commute all year, all weather with a Richa waterproof over jacket.  The Jacket itself isn't actually waterproof in anything other than a light shower.

Currently using it with all vents open, thermal liner removed and its brill. The armour is Knoxx brand and CE approved. 

In fact, the missus has just run it through the washing machine and it looks like new again (had it for over 2 years, used 100 miles a day - 5 days a week).
Intentionally left blank

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 July 2015, 02:57:46 pm »
The most annoying thing I've done, is to lose the thermal lining for my waterproof jacket  :'(

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 July 2015, 03:50:11 pm »
I bought a wise mesh jacket  c/w armour , which keeps you nice and cool on the hottest days whilst on the move , it has a removable  inner liner , which is shower proof  at best . I also have  Rev It waterproof which will fit under the seat .

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 July 2015, 07:01:45 pm »
I am going to get me an umbrella, i have seen Noggy using one when riding his Gen 2 , looked ok

:lol :lol :lol :lol
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07 July 2015, 07:18:31 pm »
Shades, plain white t shirt, black leather jacket left open at neck, kevlar jeans & combat gloves, black ankle boots . . . that's how I roll in summer.  :D

« Last Edit: 09 July 2015, 07:49:21 pm by celticdog »
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #12 on: 07 July 2015, 09:51:59 pm »

found this on ebay if it will fit

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Field-Sheer-Mach-1-Motorcycle-Mesh-Jacket-Size-42-Jacket-Only-/190884605149

but by time it arrives it will be winter!!
It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #13 on: 07 July 2015, 11:19:28 pm »
I've got a Hein Gerick Air Jacket (which, of course, would be very difficult to get now!) but I'd recommed buying a good goretex over-jacket for when it rains because the zip-in ones IMO don't work very well and when you want to take them out, the jacket can still be wet!

There are some good thin ones which can be folded up nice and small to put in a tank bag, top box or even back pocket until you need them.

Stupid Luke

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM Superduke R
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07 July 2015, 11:33:14 pm »
Dont buy anything Furygan. I did and it leaks like a sieve. The waterproof layer is the detachable bit with the quilted thermal liner on the inside. So it obviously never rains in the summer where the furygan designer lives.

I could take the thermal / waterproof liner with me everywhere but it is easier to put a thin waterproof overjacket on instead. I know this defeats the object of textiles and wont be buying any more Furygan crap. Nothing good ever came out of France.