Date: 22-05-24  Time: 15:18 pm

Author Topic: Best all round tyres?  (Read 5551 times)

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
Re: Best all round tyres?
« Reply #25 on: 03 May 2014, 11:46:14 pm »
Cop bikes used Macadams on the pan Europeans and BMW RT's right up to the point where they couldn't get hold of them anymore.

It took a lot of skill and control to throw a 270+kg bike around on them buggers. They used to grind the bottoms of the panniers, catch the exhaust system, and catch sports bikes on them! Got to warm them up though, a bit squirmy when cold. :-[
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

johna6968

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 04 May 2014, 08:33:13 am »
Yup Supermaxx.. Bizarrely Mate had a set of Maxxis sport similar time and couldnt wait to bin them too..
Now that's wierd, the sport tyres are supposed to be quite good, because certain race schools use them with a lot of success.
I can't say I've used them though, they're quite soft and wouldn't last me 5 minutes. I only get 2500 ish out of s/t tyres!!!!

Not slating Maxxis in general as I do kind of like their product on my mountain bike  :D
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it..

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 04 May 2014, 12:13:37 pm »
Yup Supermaxx.. Bizarrely Mate had a set of Maxxis sport similar time and couldnt wait to bin them too..
Now that's wierd, the sport tyres are supposed to be quite good, because certain race schools use them with a lot of success.
I can't say I've used them though, they're quite soft and wouldn't last me 5 minutes. I only get 2500 ish out of s/t tyres!!!!

Must admit I quite liked the Maxxis supersports, although not their lifetime (I got about 2000 miles out of the rear on my ZX9R, and it was completely shagged). In the dry, they were good and sticky, and weren't too bad in the wet either, unless you tried to lean the bike over too far as there just wasn't any tread on the edge of the tyre. CHap before me hadn't ever had the bike that far over judging from the chicken strips, and the first time I leant it over in the wet, with no tread, on a new bit of tyre, and then tried to accelerate led to the biggest slide I think I've ever had - ended up somehow catching just enough of the weight on my knee to keep it sliding until I managed to get it upright and it regripped!

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 04 May 2014, 12:51:23 pm »
the first time I leant it over in the wet, with no tread, on a new bit of tyre, and then tried to accelerate led to the biggest slide I think I've ever had -
I'm not friggin suprised. I bet you sh@ ya pants!

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 05 May 2014, 02:28:46 pm »
Ive put about 600 miles on my Pilot road 3's now......they are certainly a bit tougher & im not quite as confident as i was with the Rosso 2's........however i am gaining confidence on them & we've yet to get into the proper hot weather.

Still got quite a bit of chicken strip yet.....more than my Rosso 2 had.

Ill keep a record and take a pic after the summer for comparison.

Oh & i couldnt see this thread not have a memes.......so i made one just for you stevie :lol
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 05 May 2014, 02:54:22 pm »
Fitted a pair of maxxis supermaxx to my 600 boxeye after 12 yrs of swapping between bridgestone and dunlop,300 miles over thelast two days and not puut a foot wrong, very stable and grippy, I'll have to see how long they last....
« Last Edit: 05 May 2014, 02:55:41 pm by red98 »
One, is never going to be enough.....

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 05 May 2014, 03:19:59 pm »

This is good we can get some good comparisons going then.

How cheap are these Maxxis then?....in hindsight i think £260 for a set of pilot 3's is a bit pricey considering i dont do mega miles.
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 05 May 2014, 03:36:45 pm »
You'll pay less than £200 for a set of diamonds.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 05 May 2014, 04:36:07 pm »
Oh & i couldnt see this thread not have a memes.......so i made one just for you stevie :lol

Just saw the picture on my computer (couldn't see it on my phone), nearly pissed myself! :rollin