Date: 20-04-24  Time: 02:14 am

Author Topic: Exhaust  (Read 1677 times)

Oldbiker

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Exhaust
« on: 16 January 2021, 08:34:48 pm »
Hi everyone. I have been dragged kicking and screaming into the 2000's by my son. Back in the day I rode a kawasaki z750 twin (I still have it in the garage and keep threatening to get it restored) which I adored. Just before Christmas my son surprised me with a already restored replica of my cherished bike. As soon as I sat on it I was hooked and decided to get another bike for myself. One week ago I became the proud owner of 2003 gas 1000. My god! What a difference from the days when my local copper would love a quick race up the A3 and a mobile phone was carried in an army back pack! However, I digress, what I want to ask is can anyone recommend a exhaust that I can fit to my bike so it sounds right? I believe that there are now laws that prevent me from being heard miles away and frightening dogs and young children but surely a little grunt won't hurt? Any recommendations would be gratefully received. :thumbup :thumbup

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
Re: Exhaust
« Reply #1 on: 17 January 2021, 09:12:16 am »
Hi Oldbiker, and welcome to the forum. Which exhaust can, will present you with endless suggestions. Nearly all come with a removable baffle and suitable link pipe, so you have a choice of in or out, no doubt in, when it's mot time. You've got choices on length and material, shiny or not, expensive or not. Unless you see/hear one on another Fazer that floats your boat, then it's a matter of checking out the manufacturers websites and looking around for the best deal. Personally I've used SP Engineering twice now, for the two different systems I have, and have received favourable noise comments.
Decide on the look you want and take it from there. In your post you mentioned the A3, which end are you near?.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 January 2021, 01:40:11 pm »
Wecome to the forums - This question crops up fairly regularly, here's a couple of recent threads that might be worth checking out.
https://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?topic=14225.0
https://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?topic=26593.0

Dont forget to check out the Gen1 FAQ for some hints and tips on ownership if you haven't already - https://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?topic=20273.0

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 January 2021, 02:05:58 pm »
Quill every time, great quality, build your own, by having a choice of, shape, material and out let configuration

https://quillexhausts.com/yamaha-fzs1000-fazer-2001-2005/
Later

CatalinU

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 January 2021, 09:40:48 am »
I recomend Delkevic. Their products are tested for every bike on the Dyno, so they are build specificaly for the bike

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 January 2021, 01:34:28 pm »
I recomend Delkevic. Their products are tested for every bike on the Dyno, so they are build specificaly for the bike

All decent cans are built the same way  ;) Unless you go full race system most end cans do little other than make a bit more noise or a different sound couple bhp at most.  This is especially poignant with FZS1000s as performance is governed to a large extent by std fuelling and the EXUP. 

Even with full jet kit e.g. Ivans, AIS and air box mod etc you'll get around 10bhp.  What the latter does is clean up the low and mid range giving a lot better spread of usable power and you don't need to fit an end can to get most of the gain.  End cans are really just about noise and looks, most bikes in the last 10yrs ish, the std exhaust system is as good as you're going to get, fitting end cans without proper remaps or emission control removal e.g. air boost, CAT's etc will decrease power in some cases significantly.  Noise doesn't equal power ;)     

Later

Ripsnortingvtwin

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - cb750kz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 January 2021, 02:16:05 pm »
loads of used ones around no need to spend a ton of money on one

teecee90

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 January 2021, 09:01:49 am »

My first choice was a Delkevic but the damn thing didn't fit. Contacted them and got nothing but attitude; implying it was my fault. As if it's difficult to fit an end can and I haven't been spannering for 40+ years! Anyway, eventually got my money back and went for a Mivv GP titanium. Perfect fit and finish. Proves once again....buy cheap buy twice.
FZS 1000 Gen1 (2003)
Tiger 900 GT Pro (2020)

kralik

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 January 2021, 08:24:54 am »
I like systems which are created for the particular bike. So I went genuine Akra can, which I found localy.

On the other hand, if I would not find the Akra before, I would probably buy Storm Oval with homologation from ebay. the Storm exhausts belong to Mivv brand, it is just cheaper option.
You can also find nice Arrow cans for this bike.

CatalinU

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 January 2021, 07:49:57 am »

My first choice was a Delkevic but the damn thing didn't fit. Contacted them and got nothing but attitude; implying it was my fault. As if it's difficult to fit an end can and I haven't been spannering for 40+ years! Anyway, eventually got my money back and went for a Mivv GP titanium. Perfect fit and finish. Proves once again....buy cheap buy twice.

No problems with mine, was bolt on, took me 10 minutes to install

teecee90

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 January 2021, 10:19:16 am »

No problems with mine, was bolt on, took me 10 minutes to install

I think they are a bit hit and miss. A friend bought a full system for his ER5 and had the same problem, but had previously had a Delkevic on his Fazer 600 with no issues.
« Last Edit: 25 January 2021, 10:20:39 am by teecee90 »
FZS 1000 Gen1 (2003)
Tiger 900 GT Pro (2020)