Date: 01-05-24  Time: 09:31 am

Author Topic: Trollstigen and Transfagarasan  (Read 1639 times)

pilninggas

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Trollstigen and Transfagarasan
« on: 22 August 2014, 04:08:04 pm »
Well i've just done 6000 miles around Europe and i'm now back home.

Went up to Norway, rode Trollstigen and over Valdresflye (what an amazing road over a 5500ft plateau of boulder fields).

Back down, and a ferry across the Baltic.

Through the rising landscapes of Eastern Germany, over the Ore.  Through Bohemia and Moravia, into Slovakia and Hungary and then onto Romania, to do the Transfagrasan Highway (and the somewhat dismantled Transalpin Highway).

Back via the Great Hungarian Plain, Burgenland, Northern Limestone Alps and the Ardennes.

plus.google.com/118407285248417287250/stories/f17efdd1-060d-38db-aee7-88721bc54739147fab1bd17?authkey

more pics to follow...

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: Trollstigen and Transfagarasan
« Reply #1 on: 22 August 2014, 05:51:15 pm »
Hell, beat that !!! :lol

What a trip,,what took you to do that ?
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

pilninggas

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 August 2014, 06:07:49 pm »
Hell, beat that !!! :lol

What a trip,,what took you to do that ?

Well I normally go down to the Alps (Typically Italy-Sud Tirol), but I fancied doing something a little more ambitious.  It was more of an eye-opener for sure.  No amount of research really shows you what Scandinavia is like on a bike or what Romania is like in every way!

It helps that the FZ1S is a bloody stonking sports bike with touring riding position.

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 August 2014, 07:22:04 pm »
That's some ride, how long did it take you?

Some Romanians I met last trip told me the TransAlpina pass is more scenic than the Transfagarassan and it was mostly finished. I think the term mostly finished can apply to lots of Romanian roads though  :lol
Did you ride over it?

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 August 2014, 07:36:45 pm »
Great pics, one day I may have the money , time and permission from the other half to do a trip like that .

pilninggas

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 August 2014, 08:24:54 pm »
That's some ride, how long did it take you?

Some Romanians I met last trip told me the TransAlpina pass is more scenic than the Transfagarassan and it was mostly finished. I think the term mostly finished can apply to lots of Romanian roads though  :lol
Did you ride over it?

3 weeks all in.

The TransAlpina was in bits, in one place 1/2 mile was just rubble, scalpings and rocks (and that Romanian tradition of local rubbish).  I rode it, but it took quite a while, and I was knackered at the end.  Not feeling comfortable wild camping amongst all the wild dogs, as I stopped to locate a pensione, a gagle of gypsy kids started haranging me for money [i gave them some danish coins to get rid of them!].

But it is an interesting and very remote road, even with all the cracks and missing sections, it reminded me of some of the passes of the Dolomites.[/i]