Date: 18-04-24  Time: 08:46 am

Author Topic: Show me your exhausts!  (Read 2618 times)

Triggergee

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600
    • View Profile
Show me your exhausts!
« on: 23 July 2018, 06:22:59 pm »
Trying to do my new gen1 up to be all sexy and get rid of the abominable which is the stock muffler but I'm really struggling to decide on what to put on it. After reading through some previous threads the general opinion is unless your going for a full race header/can set up with fuel mapping etc essentially the end can is just a tube of steel the makes a nice noise and looks good. I'm hoping to get some inspiration or at least know what not to put on my bike through some of your pics! Really trying to make this bike nice but cosmetic or arty choices are not my strong point. I'm pretty good at fixing and braking things but making them pretty is not my forte lol. The pic is the bike I'm trying to prettify and the exhaust I think might do the job
« Last Edit: 23 July 2018, 06:24:32 pm by Triggergee »

Fazerjon

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Show me your exhausts!
« Reply #1 on: 23 July 2018, 09:57:46 pm »
This is a Delkevic can which I cut down. Sounds lovely!

ProdigalSon

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 July 2018, 11:20:57 pm »
Damn, I was hoping there would be lots of photo's posted up here as I'm looking at changing the Leo Vinci slip on currently on my gen.1 1000 as it's an E marked can with no removable baffle and close to the same size as the original silencer.

Millietant

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Apr RSV, FJ1200, FZS1000 & 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 July 2018, 11:26:00 pm »
Our Blue Flame - lovely sound, removable baffles/plugs, great quality, hasn't upset the fuelling on any of our bikes.

It's been on for about 10 years. I've had one on my Aprilia RSV for 13 years and we've had one on the Fazer 600 for about 5 years now.

Just not sure if they're still in business.

« Last Edit: 23 July 2018, 11:27:51 pm by Millietant »

bludclot

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 July 2018, 07:21:45 am »

Be aware that a couple of months ago an edict was sent to all MOT testers stating that vehicle exhausts must not be considered louder than the factory fitted unit in good / serviceable condition. Come early next summer our police forces will be aware that all (older and almost new vehicles excepted) vehicles will (should) have been in front of an MOT man hence a potential crack down on noisy exhausts. If this comes to pass then good original exhausts will increase in value.

For the record I run an akrapovic on my gen 1, baffle out. It's not overly loud, it's extremely, almost comically light and looks to be very well made indeed. De-stickered it's not visually too different from the standard unit, subtle. The only downside is that they are not cheap. For what it's worth I think that the standard can looks quite good, far better than some of the current offerings which are slightly larger than ICBMs.
is it clean enough?

Hghlander

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 July 2018, 08:24:57 am »
Can recommend this exhaust, great sound.

ram

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - triumph tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 July 2018, 01:30:22 pm »
heres mine
« Last Edit: 24 July 2018, 01:30:57 pm by ram »

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 July 2018, 02:02:12 pm »

Basic S/S Oval Fuel can, they do more exciting flavours too, UK made, lifetime warrenty, decent price, comes with free Kendal mint cake.

Be aware that a couple of months ago an edict was sent to all MOT testers stating that vehicle exhausts must not be considered louder than the factory fitted unit in good / serviceable condition. Come early next summer our police forces will be aware that all (older and almost new vehicles excepted) vehicles will (should) have been in front of an MOT man hence a potential crack down on noisy exhausts. If this comes to pass then good original exhausts will increase in value.

What exactly has changed? As far as I can remember it's always been down to the discretion of the MOT tester combined with a check to confirm the can has the appropriate stamp showing it meets EU noise regulations. Road legal cans are sold as such, they only become an issue if the baffle is removed or if they have been modified which resulted in increased noise. I run mine without the baffle but carry the baffle under the seat in case I ever get pulled in which case I'll replace it to please Mr Plod then take it out again, come MOT time the baffle can go back in again easily enough if the tester insists.
« Last Edit: 24 July 2018, 02:16:11 pm by PieEater »

ProdigalSon

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 July 2018, 04:19:27 pm »
heres mine

Is that a Delkevic and if so is it very loud, I'm not really looking for anything too noisy? :)

Triggergee

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 July 2018, 04:39:23 pm »
Am I right in thinking the longer the pipe the quieter it's likely to be? I'm going to risk getting a pipe despite any law revisions partly because the sound of the stock exhaust almost ruins the bike for me and also as mentioned the whole ICBM thing, I really don't the CIA to start thinking I'm a threat. I really doubt any police officer would waste their time hassling bikers unless they're riding like twats or are being rude if stopped and as is already the case just need an mot station which is simpathetic to our cause (being noisy)

BMCfaz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 July 2018, 06:22:54 pm »
Here's mine with a MIVV can.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 July 2018, 06:28:58 pm »

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 July 2018, 06:53:39 pm »

I've just bought the same one for my gen 2. I'll be fitting it tomorrow hopefully

Dustydes

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fzr1000 exup street fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 July 2018, 07:07:31 pm »
Delkevic oval carbon no baffles sound great

Triggergee

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24 July 2018, 07:31:44 pm »

Nice looking bike! Where did you get the painted belly pan?

ram

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - triumph tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 24 July 2018, 10:48:10 pm »
heres mine

Is that a Delkevic and if so is it very loud, I'm not really looking for anything too noisy? :)
its not a Delkevic, but i dont know what it is as there is no name on it and it was already fitted when i got it.its louder than std but not annoyingly loud. mot has never commented on it

BMCfaz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 24 July 2018, 11:00:13 pm »

Nice looking bike! Where did you get the painted belly pan?

The belly pan was on the bike when I bought it back in 2011. As far as I know it's a standard Yamaha one. I've repainted it myself a couple of times since as it gets blasted by crap off the road.

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 25 July 2018, 11:45:57 pm »
Mivv i think are best bar akrapovic for fazer..
If it's broken, it's not fixed.

ProdigalSon

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 26 July 2018, 01:00:17 am »

Basic S/S Oval Fuel can, they do more exciting flavours too, UK made, lifetime warrenty, decent price, comes with free Kendal mint cake.

I do like the angle that sits at, hopefully that isn't an optical illusion as it seems to mimic the angle of the seat rails etc. and it looks just the right amount shorter than the stock can or am I seeing it wrong? :) 

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 26 July 2018, 08:14:27 am »
I do like the angle that sits at, hopefully that isn't an optical illusion as it seems to mimic the angle of the seat rails etc. and it looks just the right amount shorter than the stock can or am I seeing it wrong? :) 

No you're not wrong the can and link pipe nicely follow the lines of the frame / seat ......

« Last Edit: 26 July 2018, 08:15:17 am by PieEater »