Date: 16-04-24  Time: 15:22 pm

Author Topic: Upgrade to fuel injection  (Read 4083 times)

Vatnehol

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Upgrade to fuel injection
« on: 02 May 2018, 06:00:52 pm »
Hi,
I want to upgrade to fuel injection on my FZS1000 2002.
I once read on the internet that the early R1 with fuel injection engine parts will fit the fzs engine.  I need at least throttle bodies and pickup and the rest i can fabricate i believe.
Can anybody confirm this ?

And if you have parts for sale i'm interested ! :)

ram

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - triumph tiger
    • View Profile
Re: Upgrade to fuel injection
« Reply #1 on: 02 May 2018, 10:46:14 pm »
there is a post here about changing early r1 to f.i which may help
not sure it would be worth it tbh
http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/46-how-tos/47444-how-99-r1-02-r1-motor-conversion.html

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 May 2018, 02:36:04 pm »
Yes, I am very glad that I did it. It was a pain in the ass, but well worth it. No more messing with jet kits

Was it really less aggro than "messing with jet kits"?!
Why do you want to do this?
Why not just mess with one jet kit once - Ivan's?

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 May 2018, 03:33:44 pm »
Yes, I am very glad that I did it. It was a pain in the ass, but well worth it. No more messing with jet kits

Exactly or just buy a newer Bike with FI as standard.

Andy W

• Weekend Warrior
  • www.thesundogs.uk Rockin' rollin' rhythm & roots
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • The Sundogs - rockin' rollin' rhythm & roots!
« Reply #4 on: 04 May 2018, 05:09:56 pm »

Gotta agree with the above, unless you just fancy the project, Ivaninse or newer bike seems the way to go!

Vatnehol

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 May 2018, 03:40:15 pm »

i Like a lot better the frame on my gen 1. I had the bike for 9 years and i'm going to keep it a lot longer but i want more fuel eff. and power.

looks like r6 throttle bodies is almost the same size as the carbs.

i read through that link but when i google i get that the 02 is carbs as well ?

it will be a project that i will take my time on.

at the moment i also have a brand new bmw s1000xr but everytime i pass it in the garage i don't even notice it. i had several bikes together with the fazer but the fazer will never be sold.
« Last Edit: 08 May 2018, 02:49:11 am by Vatnehol »

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 May 2018, 05:12:42 am »
If I really wanted to go down the FI route I would just buy an MT-09.
I really love the smoothness of four carbs and bike manufacturers have spent years trying to get their fuel injection systems to be just as smooth. I'm not saying that you are wasting your time but be prepared for an awful lot of work to get it right.
I'm not even going bother 'Ivanising' my carbs, they work well enough as they are.

Vatnehol

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 July 2018, 03:56:17 pm »
It's tinkering project for personal satisfaction. No logic required, just time, money, and desire.
At some point i'm going to turbocharge it.

I have received a r6 throttle body with vacuum assist that fits very well.
« Last Edit: 03 July 2018, 03:57:12 pm by Vatnehol »

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 July 2018, 03:59:17 pm »
Please keep us posted and some pics as you progress would be good.

Dustydes

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fzr1000 exup street fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 July 2018, 06:29:26 pm »

Full Monty  :thumbup Does what it says on the box

Billy Balthorpe

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - 2 X 1987 fzr1000's, VN800
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 July 2018, 08:35:10 pm »

Full Monty  :thumbdown  not really impressed. No where near as fast pick up on no load, no where near as good at the bottom end, no where near as good in the mid range, no where near as good at the top end.

All in all, no where near as good as a good dynojet setup done on a rolling road. My old Fazer started off with just over 130 bhp and was dyno'd at 138 bhp after the Dynojet kit and rolling road. And before anyone says owt, we have had them side by side and my old Fazer walks away. The power comes in harder and it pulls better at the bottom/mid/top end.

Plus my new Fazer sounds like a bloody VFR, no where near as "angry" as my old one.

The Exup is fine and in good adjustment. The only problem at the moment is an intermittent problem with the TPS, but i cans see it making any difference.

I'm gutted to tell the truth.

ProdigalSon

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 July 2018, 10:44:17 pm »

Full Monty  :thumbdown  not really impressed. No where near as fast pick up on no load, no where near as good at the bottom end, no where near as good in the mid range, no where near as good at the top end.

All in all, no where near as good as a good dynojet setup done on a rolling road. My old Fazer started off with just over 130 bhp and was dyno'd at 138 bhp after the Dynojet kit and rolling road. And before anyone says owt, we have had them side by side and my old Fazer walks away. The power comes in harder and it pulls better at the bottom/mid/top end.

Plus my new Fazer sounds like a bloody VFR, no where near as "angry" as my old one.

The Exup is fine and in good adjustment. The only problem at the moment is an intermittent problem with the TPS, but i cans see it making any difference.

FFS! I wished you'd post this a week ago, I'm now about to reassemble my bike having done this and by the sounds of it I'm about to be royally disappointed.  :'(

old son

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX10R
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27 July 2018, 06:44:40 am »

FFS! I wished you'd post this a week ago, I'm now about to reassemble my bike having done this and by the sounds of it I'm about to be royally disappointed.  :'(

Don't take any notice, there is always one! All three of mine have been done by Mike, the difference is amazing. The only bad comments I have heard about the Ivans kit is above. Makes me wonder who fitted it? Have a search and count how many are not impressed. I bet you will only find the one.

PieEater

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 July 2018, 08:52:58 am »

No stock Gen1 produces a genuine 130BHP at the wheel so I guess the rolling road was not calibrated properly . The gain of 8BHP from stock to fully jetted using a Dynojet kit sounds about right bearing in mind that the Ivans slip-on kit gives 10BHP extra and the full monty with a decent exhaust gives up to 19BHP extra. If you have a bike that has an Ivans kit that is performing worse than a bike with a Dynojet kit then I would suspect that as Old Son suggests the kit has not been fitted correctly.

Ivan's Dyno Charts

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27 July 2018, 11:01:20 am »
Full Monty is worse?! They mean the Ivan's mod, not a massive greasy breakfast  :lol

ram

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - triumph tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 27 July 2018, 12:36:29 pm »

have you only changed the end can or the full exhaust?

ProdigalSon

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 27 July 2018, 03:16:23 pm »
Oh dear, sounds like I'm definitely screwed as I've fitted my Ivans Full Monty kit myself!!  :lol

Ricky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 27 July 2018, 05:32:13 pm »
Mike fitted my full Monty and there is a definite improvement in power and delivery, you feel it straight away, and the power at the top end is definitely stronger.  The amount of people that have had the mod done and this is the first that I have heard that they think it does not work. I just don't believe him or his was fitted wrong.Mike is the man and I am sure will confirm this.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 27 July 2018, 06:11:17 pm »
Fitted correctly - and assuming there's nothing else amiss with the motor - Ivan's kits are superior to any other on the market.  I think the owner feedback over the years overwhelmingly confirms this. 

Other than that, I don't think there's anything else I can add to this thread. :)

Billy Balthorpe

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 29 July 2018, 01:58:10 pm »

Look, i'm sorry everyone, i didnt mean to cause trouble.

I can only speak as i find. The Fazer i bought from this forum is not as fast, grunty or as downright angry as my old one (fact, not a complaint). This is the link to the sale  http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,23426.0.html

I'm not looking back with rose tinted spectacles here, my mate has got my old Fazer and we have done repeated rolling starts, and the plain fact is that my old one pulls cleanly away.

As you can see in the link above, Mike did the Full Monty himself.

By the way, i am not saying that i'm unhappy about the sale of the bike to me from Joe. Its a great bike that was worth the money, no question, and no complaints about the sale whatsoever.

it has it's problems tho, clutch drag at high engine temps (not slip), radiator has a very small leak (now fixed), and i think the TPS sensor needs adjustment/replacement. The clutch and the Radiator has no real effect on the power so i will see how it is after i adjust/replace the TPS.

By the way, it has no problem with top end power, it will still blast up to 160 mph, just not as quickly as my old one.

Dont forget everyone, i have never ridden a standard Fazer 1000, the only 2 Fazers i have ever ridden are the two mentioned above. So i do not know what the difference feels like from a standard one to a full Monty one.

Both bikes are in Stoke, so if anyone wants to come over and see for themselves they would be welcomed with a cup of tea and a beer after testing. I'll make sure my mate leaves his keys in his bike in the clubhouse for the week.

I understand and accept that Mike does Sterling work and makes a lot of Fazer owners very happy, but i think either - my old Fazer has had more work done on it in the past than i know about OR There is something which has gone slightly wrong with my New Fazer since Mike worked its magic on it.

Billy Balthorpe

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 29 July 2018, 02:06:31 pm »

When we talk about a "Decent exhaust" when coupled to a Full Monty Kit are we talking about a full system (getting rid of the EXUP) or just the end can?

PieEater

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 29 July 2018, 03:48:09 pm »
When we talk about a "Decent exhaust" when coupled to a Full Monty Kit are we talking about a full system (getting rid of the EXUP) or just the end can?
Look at the Dyno charts on the link posted above.

Billy Balthorpe

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 29 July 2018, 06:18:41 pm »

Aren't those charts for an FZ-1, not a Gen 1 ?

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 29 July 2018, 06:22:52 pm »

Aren't those charts for an FZ-1, not a Gen 1 ?

No the Yanks call the fzs1000 the Fz-1
You can't ivanise fuel injected bikes 😉

Billy Balthorpe

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 29 July 2018, 06:44:14 pm »

Ahhh, fair enough.