Date: 20-05-24  Time: 06:04 am

Author Topic: Starting & Cutting Out Gremlin!  (Read 2042 times)

fazer390

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Starting & Cutting Out Gremlin!
« on: 21 October 2014, 04:57:38 pm »
For almost 12 months now I've had an issue with my gen1 starting and engine cutting out under heavy load / speed.
I had my alarm removed a few months back as I concluded after addressing every other option recommended by you guys that this must be the culprit!  :rolleyes

Recently however, guess what...? My gremlin is back!  :wall

BUT; when I was out on the Hoggin the Bridge event on Sunday I managed to identify the intermittent fault...
As I was riding home my key ring was flapping in the wind and when I went to move it, the engine temporarily stalled! I did a few times to confirm and low and behold I was able to replicate the fault!!!  :think

Has anyone else experienced this with theirs?

I'm going to strip down the ignition barrel one evening this week and hopefully fix it. If not replace it...  :smash

AKA - Jase / Carbonkid...

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
Re: Starting & Cutting Out Gremlin!
« Reply #1 on: 21 October 2014, 07:17:08 pm »
That was exactly the problem I had when I had my gen1. I had to buy a second hand ignition barrel eventually.
But to get round the problem for a bit I put the key in a vice and twisted it a tiny bit at  a time until  it was a snug fit in the worn barrel.
I have posted about this problem in other peoples threads when they have reported running problems but you are the only other person that seems to have had it!
Like you I found it by accident after putting new fuel filter in, cleaning air fiter, cutting back ht leads, and checking all electrical connectors.
The second hand barrel was from ebay for £40 with 2 keys, I had a friend help me fit it and it was a bit of a twat to do as neither of us had any real idea what we were doing.

schlumpf

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 October 2014, 08:08:30 pm »
+1
The ignition barrel is known for causing trouble, keeping in mind that it is 10+ years of age..
I disassembled a few of them over the years (not only on my bike). Looking to the contacts was a bit disappointing as no real damage could be recognized. Seems to me some small, invisible changes make the difference. Cleaning with alcohol (no sandpaper) and new grease has done the job.
The ignition barrel has to carry a really heavy electrical load. My best guess is that it is not rated for this load over livetime. Taking a significant portion of the load away (about 50%) can be accomplished by spending extra lines for the headlights, directly from the battery. The headlights already have their dedicated relais, so it's not a difficult job. Instructions are available around here.

Flushing the barrel with WD40 has also been reported to help. Don't know for how long.

The root cause is under-voltage at the ECU's terminals. This leads do ignition dropouts. The ignition barrel is one part of the chain, general degradation of the loom is the second. You migh call it poor design by Yamaha.

fazer390

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 October 2014, 10:37:58 pm »
Cheers for the replies guys and very helpful...  :thumbup

I'll try the WD40 flush first ;) before I'm forced to replace the barrel...  :\

I just watched a YouTube clip of some guy removing an Ignition Barrel from an R6 (very similar to my gen1).
The bolts used to attach the barrel to the top yoke are snap off security bolts!  :grumble The guy on YouTube used a Dremel (which I don't have!) to cut a slot in each bolt to get a flat blade screwdriver on it. Unfortunately he also had to add some high heat (which I also don't have!) to encourage unscrewing of bolt removal!
This looks to be quite an awkward job!  >:

If there are any handy tips out there I'd be very grateful...  :thumbup

schlumpf

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 October 2014, 11:02:16 am »
Right, an awkward job.
The screws are secured by glue, that's what the heat is for. But it also works without.
I used a centre puncher (hope that is the right wording ..) to rotate the screws. Maybe a small, solid screwdriver will do also. Once loosened they come out quite easy. Replace them by normal types.

Try WD40 first. You need a very good portion (flooding) as the contacts are not directly accessible. Rotate the key the same time.
Keep in mind that WD40 washes out all lubrication. The amount of oil it contains is very minor. Might cause the mechanical parts to get stuck in the long term.

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 October 2014, 01:07:37 pm »
The security bolts are what we had most trouble with. One came undone easily with a centre punch as Schlumpf says but the other one was solid. Carefully applied heat and the centre punch again plus a lot of swearing eventually got it out. Not a job I would like to do often.

fazer390

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 October 2014, 10:08:46 am »
Cheers guys... I'll let you know how I get on - hopefuly do it this weekend...  ;)

fazer390

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 October 2014, 11:23:40 am »
Hay guys... On Saturday I tried flooding the ignition key with WD40 as suggested; disconnected the barrel's wiring and exercised the key a dozen or so times...
I connected everything back up and gave it a test and it started first time with no issues...  :)

On Sunday I went for a 100 mile round trip via Malvern Classic bike Show, nr Gloucester. She ran perfect; no starting or cutting out under heavy load...  :D

I'm back in love with my gen1 again; full confidence restored... It's only taken 12 months to successfully diagnose lol...  :rolleyes 

On the positive side I've repaired, upgraded, refurbished and removed everything on the bike that would potentially cause any future issues...

8)

Simon.Pieman

• Club Racer
  • Life of Pie
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 October 2014, 03:00:09 pm »

On the positive side I've repaired, upgraded, refurbished and removed everything on the bike that would potentially cause any future issues...

Now that is tempting fate...

fazer390

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 October 2014, 08:13:12 am »
I knew when I wrote that I was jinxing fate lol... :-/