Date: 28-03-24  Time: 09:05 am

Author Topic: Clutch cable! Routing. FZS  (Read 952 times)

Decoke Dave

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Clutch cable! Routing. FZS
« on: 07 June 2019, 06:47:23 pm »
  Made a fundamental error!  Went to change my clutch cable without pulling a fine piece of string behind it to check the routing.  OK with all the clips etc, but under the left side of the tank there seems to be no sympathetic way to route it, there is a rubber cup thing that looks like its meant to go on there? But but after that I am clueless!   Can anyone attempt to explain to me exactly what the original routing is.
If at first you don't succeed, pull your foreskin ower yer heid!

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch cable! Routing. FZS
« Reply #1 on: 07 June 2019, 07:53:42 pm »
Download the service manual http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?action=downloads;sa=downfile&id=11 and it  and go to page 2-35. From there on it shows the routing of the clutch cable

Decoke Dave

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 June 2019, 11:34:39 pm »
Many thanks, but correct me if I am wrong it seems that from the handlebars and under the left side of the tank the clutch cable follows the same path as the choke cable?  P.S. my FZS is a 2004.

Flooky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 June 2019, 09:01:17 am »
Did mine the other week, from lever under tank then right by the rubber boot on the cable (gen yam one ) it goes in a clip then across under carbs to clutch arm. your right though the bend to go across looks tight

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 June 2019, 10:02:14 am »
Many thanks, but correct me if I am wrong it seems that from the handlebars and under the left side of the tank the clutch cable follows the same path as the choke cable?  P.S. my FZS is a 2004.
Yes a similiar path, but the clutch cable goes into the holder on the left frame tube whereas the choke cable does not.

Decoke Dave

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 June 2019, 02:17:22 pm »
  Must agree, that's the way mine seems to have been, only thing is looking at the download manual the clutch cable does not seem to go into the left hand side frame tube large plastic snap clip? (have a look and see what you think).  It was the tight bend after this clip back to the outside that was putting me off using it.  So i didn't put my one into it, much straighter thus smoother path left out of it!  There is genuine cable tie farther up the cables/wiring nearer the head stock that hold it in position anyway. Like to hear any views on the manual drawing.
« Last Edit: 08 June 2019, 04:09:28 pm by Decoke Dave »