Date: 22-05-24  Time: 16:19 pm

Author Topic: im going to attempt at removing my downpipes  (Read 2437 times)

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
im going to attempt at removing my downpipes
« on: 11 December 2011, 12:39:03 am »
the nuts are very corroded and most have nothing to get a socket on them,i have got off ebay a nut splitter http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130558280374?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 so now i do not have an excuss as to why i cannot get them off,a couple of weeks a go i also bought a tap and die set from lidle cheap,so when the nuts are off i can clean the threads up and i have some nice stainless cap head nuts to go on so no more rust plus as the end of the nuts are sealed the studs wont rust on the threads

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
Re: im going to attempt at removing my downpipes
« Reply #1 on: 11 December 2011, 07:17:14 am »
... when the nuts are off i can clean the threads up

Looks to me like the studs are just as bad as the nuts.  If you split the latter, don't hold out too much hope of being left with studs that can be simply run with a die to clean up the threads ... :(

Same goes for the header clamps and collets, I'm afraid.  The latter have corrosion-welded to the head from what I can see in the photo.  Give it a go by all means but have one eye on ebay for a replacement set of headers. 

Re the AIS tapping, if you don't have a tapered M8 in your Lidl set, be very very careful.  The tap should cut easily, if it requires any effort to turn, back it out and rethink.  Much better than than busting a tap in the stud as a few have discovered the hard way.

Good luck. :)

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 December 2011, 10:31:45 am »
I'm hoping the studs will be ok,I do have another set of down pipes to go on,the one fitted to the bike have broken bolts on the exup valve mount and the rear bracket is also broke,basically they are scrap

bludclot

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 December 2011, 12:27:50 pm »

you're going this far - a set of 8 new studs might be a very real consideration now, especially if the bike is a long term prospect.
is it clean enough?

Kosmic Kartman

• Photo comp trophy
    July & September 2010
  • GP Hero
  • Champion on two, three & four wheels
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM640LC4SM, XRX125SM
    • View Profile
    • Trackart.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: 11 December 2011, 02:01:20 pm »
Pooh and pestilence, that's got propper iron munching fungus growing on that  :eek
Some say that he eats habanero chilli peppers dipped in oil of capsaicin for extra bite and that his pyjamas are made from Nomex. All we know is, he's called Ad the Bad

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 December 2011, 02:57:59 pm »
i do have a stud extractor but im more worried about the studs snapping and why i have not tried to undo the nuts in any other way

you're going this far - a set of 8 new studs might be a very real consideration now, especially if the bike is a long term prospect.