Date: 29-03-24  Time: 14:33 pm

Author Topic: AMERICAN IMPORT HELP / NEWBIE  (Read 6822 times)

robertm113

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - CBF 125 MA
    • View Profile
AMERICAN IMPORT HELP / NEWBIE
« on: 13 March 2015, 11:22:40 am »
Hi everyone,

Seeking some help on an FZ1/FZS1000.

Recently put down a deposit on a FZS1000 2002 in a dealership in Yorkshire, but turned out with a bit of research (I work in a Yam dealership) that it's an American import, which didn't trouble me too much.

But with a bit more research, I've recently found out that in October 2007 it was stolen and recovered in the US. Then imported in the UK in 2010.

Is there any way of finding out full history of mileage etc from it's time in the US.. every web search I've done comes back with VIN checks and doesn't give me any information about the US DFT.

Also, the mileage is only at 10,800 miles, which makes me think that the clocks might have been changed when importing into the UK.

Any help is much appreciated.

Regards, Rob.

devilsyam

• GP Hero
  • Veteran fazer modder
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - streetfighter
    • View Profile
Re: AMERICAN IMPORT HELP / NEWBIE
« Reply #1 on: 13 March 2015, 11:29:50 am »
Walk away
www.Devilsyam.com (Fazerpedia)

robertm113

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - CBF 125 MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 March 2015, 11:39:34 am »
Walk away

I'm really tempted, but it looks in pretty good condition and I've put a £750 deposit down.

bludclot

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 March 2015, 11:56:18 am »

i would be politely and firmly asking for my 750 notes back.
is it clean enough?

brooker81

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - Busa,Fzs600,
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 March 2015, 12:12:46 pm »
Yeh. On the info you have recieved i would run for the hills with my diposit in my arse pocket.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 March 2015, 12:15:20 pm »
If they havent advertised it as an import then you should be entitled to your deposit back.

From someone who makes daft decisions with bikes...........dont buy it.
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

Dinger1962

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • - 1987 tomos 50cc
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 March 2015, 12:22:56 pm »
hi mate im guessing that as you did your own research and the dealership did not inform you of this info you have as strong case for a refund.i would take it and find something else probably get a decent bike off here as most members on here are genuine bikers who arent in it for the profit good luck -- :)
MY GRANDAD TOLD ME -WHAT DOESNT KILL YOU MAKES YOU STRONGER--EXCEPT FOR A BEAR THAT WILL DEFINATELY KILL YOU---

robertm113

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - CBF 125 MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 March 2015, 12:25:18 pm »
Thanks for your input..

A link is here - [size=78%]http://www.craigshonda.com//used/bike/831/548775/2002-02-reg-yamaha-fzs1000-1000-fazer-very-good-condition.aspx[/size]

and this is the original eBay listing - [size=78%]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-FZ1-S-1000cc-2002-with-10-886-miles-Very-Good-Conditon-/251818099852?nma=true&si=C8LrFS3UzixRFJadrW2yHsyxdZI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557[/size]

I've never asked for a deposit back before, do I have any legal rights other than it's not listed as an import?

Or would it be worth just asking for a considerable discount based on the information I've received?

Dinger1962

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • - 1987 tomos 50cc
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 March 2015, 12:43:39 pm »
just read the ad it says hpi clear ,i might be wrong but does that not show history of finance and/or insurance claims am not sure but i think thats the case--apologies if im wrong i would still walk away
MY GRANDAD TOLD ME -WHAT DOESNT KILL YOU MAKES YOU STRONGER--EXCEPT FOR A BEAR THAT WILL DEFINATELY KILL YOU---

robertm113

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - CBF 125 MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 March 2015, 12:47:30 pm »
just read the ad it says hpi clear ,i might be wrong but does that not show history of finance and/or insurance claims am not sure but i think thats the case--apologies if im wrong i would still walk away

It would only show claims etc that's happened since importing it in 2010 and nothing prior to that. However it would show if the bike was an import or not, so the e-mail I received from him saying 'he didn't know' is a load of shit  >:

Either way, I'm definitely going to ask for my £750 back and hopefully find a better one in a faster colour..  :lol

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 March 2015, 01:17:43 pm »
The American market bikes are called FZ1

In the advert it is first listed as an FZS1000...this is wrong if american import........then later it say FZ1....this is the dealer being smart by almost small print telling the truth about its real identity....but also proves that he does know it is an import.

So either those  :faz  decals have been added afterwards...or the whole front fairing has.
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 March 2015, 01:27:46 pm »
Noggy is correct about the graphics on the fairing. They should be black and say FZ1 not a silver fazer decal, which you can buy on fleabay for a fiver. The dealer or previous owner has changed them, so you think it's a UK bike. Walk away
If it's broken, it's not fixed.

robertm113

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - CBF 125 MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 March 2015, 01:47:29 pm »
The American market bikes are called FZ1

In the advert it is first listed as an FZS1000...this is wrong if american import........then later it say FZ1....this is the dealer being smart by almost small print telling the truth about its real identity....but also proves that he does know it is an import.

So either those  :faz  decals have been added afterwards...or the whole front fairing has.

Agreed. Which also made me wonder if it's been in a bump, as the graphics are different. It all seems very dodgy to me now.

Would it be worth me offering him £750 more to purchase? (£1500 in total) or literally just ask for my money back?

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 March 2015, 02:23:37 pm »
Ask for your money back, as the bike has been wrongly advertised and you have been mis sold information regarding the bike. Tell him if he won't give you your money back that it won't look good from his point of view as several people have looked at his ad on this forum and if he doesn't give you the full deposit back it will not be favourable to his business. ;)

bludclot

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 March 2015, 02:27:11 pm »

i think it depends upon what you are intending to use the bike for. if this is a put the miles on it commuter that you intend to run into the ground then it's possibly worth 1500. however if it's to be cherished and enjoyed in the sun then it's going to be very difficult to move on when you decide to change it and more difficult to justify 1500 notes.

it also depends upon how difficult or easy it is for you to earn/make/save 1500. if very easy then it doesn't matter if you can't get rid of the bike so easily.
is it clean enough?

robertm113

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - CBF 125 MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 13 March 2015, 02:43:10 pm »
Thank you all once again for your input, you've been very welcoming.

I've just sent an e-mail to the sales chap hopefully he'll refund me.. it shows on my receipt as a 'part payment' and not a deposit.. doesn't that make a difference?

My e-mail reads....

"Hi Keith,

I'm sorry to tell you but I don't want the bike any longer, unless you're willing to accept an extra £750.00 and sell the bike for a total £1,500.00.

I've just found out today that this bike was recorded as a 'total loss' on 22/10/2007 in the US, due to theft, in other words 'a write off'. [/size]Not long after that in 2010 it was then imported in to the UK, by whom I don't know.

To be honest, I feel like I've almost been ripped off. There was always a reason why this bike was a good price for the mileage and I'm pretty sure I've gotten to the bottom of it, and I've got a strange feeling you knew this also.

I'm 100% certain you tried to flog the bike as a UK model, as nowhere in the listing did it state it was a 'parallel import', 'origin US' or 'US import'... the only slight mention of a clue did it state in the ad that the bike was an 'FZ1' which is what the model is marketed as in the US, not an 'FZS1000' as per the UK. I also have an e-mail saying you've no knowledge of the bike being an import, whereas with all due respect it would say whether or not it was an import on the HPI check which you've concluded.

I'm really disappointed you've not completed further checks with the DMV USA and list the bike as it is (once further checks have been completed), so a buyer is aware of what they're purchasing... an American import.

I was really looking forward to picking the bike up next weekend, but it looks as though I'm going to request a full refund of the £750.00 part payment I've made.

Look forward to your response.

Kind regards,
Robert Martin.

NOTE: e-mail from sales chap when I found out it was an import...

Sent: [/b]‎18/‎02/‎2015 14:31
To: [/b]'robert martin'
Subject: [/b]RE: Yamaha Fazer 1000Hi Rob[/color] [/color]Well in fairness to me I would have told you IF I had known, as the bike is in MPH and has had MOT’s so would not have passed if the headlight had not been “correct”, I had no reason to know or assume otherwise etc[/color] [/color]We do not intentionally mislead and I can assure you that if I had been aware , then I would have told you.[/color]I agree that on a bike this age it is not an issue but also reiterate that on a personal note I would have mentioned it if there had been anything that had alerted me. I assume you have put the reg and chassis number into your system at work (I can do the same for Honda’s but not anything else)[/color] [/color]Will speak to you later when you are ready to proceed to delivery etc[/color] [/color]Regards[/color] [/color]Keith[/color] [/color]Keith J Haunch[/color]CRAIGS HONDA[/color] [/color]Image removed by sender.[/color]

From:[/b] robert martin [mailto:robertmartin@live.co.uk]
Sent: 18 February 2015 14:04
To: keith haunch
Subject: RE: Yamaha Fazer 1000

Hi Keith,

A couple of questions about the Fazer...

Seeing as I only just found out the bike is an American import, which is not a big issue but I'd like to have been told.

I'd imagine the clocks would be in MPH?
Also, is the headlight converted to RHD?

Kind regards,
Rob.

> From: keith@craigshonda.co.uk
> To: robertmartin@live.co.uk
> Subject: Yamaha Fazer 1000
> Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 10:13:21 +0000
>
> Hi Robert
>
> Attached is the order for the Fazer 1000 showing your £250 deposit.
>
> The details we will sort out a little later.
>
> Kind regards
>
> Keith

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 13 March 2015, 02:53:24 pm »
Another dead give away its a USA import is the reflectors on the front forks and it should have them on the back as that's USA law. The fact they don't have them on the back indicates to me its been rear ended.

If these guys new their bikes they would certainly know that.......get your dosh back

Just to add, the USA model is a full powered 143 BHP, on the other hand if it was French it would be the restricted 100bhp model.....so nothing wrong with it being a parallel import.....its the fact its been recorded as a write off should be the basis of your refund.....if you have the proof that is
« Last Edit: 13 March 2015, 02:57:15 pm by bigbluebear »

robertm113

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - CBF 125 MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 13 March 2015, 03:22:15 pm »
Another dead give away its a USA import is the reflectors on the front forks and it should have them on the back as that's USA law. The fact they don't have them on the back indicates to me its been rear ended.

If these guys new their bikes they would certainly know that.......get your dosh back

Just to add, the USA model is a full powered 143 BHP, on the other hand if it was French it would be the restricted 100bhp model.....so nothing wrong with it being a parallel import.....its the fact its been recorded as a write off should be the basis of your refund.....if you have the proof that is

My proof is in the attachment.. if it works lol.

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 13 March 2015, 03:40:30 pm »
This bike has not been honestly described and ,as BBB says , the front fork reflectors are a dead give-away-any dealer worth his salt would know this.
Also if it was stolen/stripped/recovered in the states how do you know the clocks are original & the indicated mileage is correct?
If something appears too good/cheap to be true then theres usually a reason. Get your money back--theres plenty good honestly described FZS 1000s come up for sale on here. Good luck!

pilninggas

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 13 March 2015, 05:13:11 pm »
Don't forget that if it isn't an EU-market bike you will need to declare it an import on the insurance, it might mean more cash or reduce the panel of insurers willing to cover it.

robertm113

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - CBF 125 MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 13 March 2015, 05:15:45 pm »
Don't forget that if it isn't an EU-market bike you will need to declare it an import on the insurance, it might mean more cash or reduce the panel of insurers willing to cover it.

Thanks for the heads up.

I've already received a few quotes around the £300 mark with declaring a parallel import.  :)

[/size][size=78%]Looks as if it's not even going to matter any longer, if I get a refund. [/size]

tex

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - tdr 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 13 March 2015, 05:21:02 pm »
It might well have been rear ended,  the number pate holder/tail tidy is not original,  the way the wires are hanging not a good repair  either
the night i was born, lord the moon stood a fire red., my poor mother her crying,
she said the gypsy was right, and she fell right dead

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 13 March 2015, 05:38:59 pm »
There are plenty of used FZS1000 in better condition around, I would look for my money back based on the information you have discovered and walk away

Mick-H

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 13 March 2015, 05:45:33 pm »
As per post number one and just about everyone else, get your money back and walk away.

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 13 March 2015, 10:23:32 pm »
You will have the law on your side if he refuses to give you the money back. The advert says nothing about the 'total loss' and being an 'import'. In this country it would have an insurance classification as either a cat c or d if it was roadworthy after the theft/crash. If it was an uneconomical repair with major damage it would be a cat a or b - meaning it could not be put back on the road and only be used for spares... Trying to sell on a bike with cat c or d seriously reduces the value. Best of luck with the dealer... We all have his e mail address now :lol