Date: 01-05-24  Time: 03:38 am

Author Topic: Idiot rev'd my bike from cold  (Read 4814 times)

Grant1Shepherd

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Idiot rev'd my bike from cold
« on: 04 November 2016, 07:10:21 pm »
Hi guys

Bit of a story here. I was in central London having dinner with my friends, afterwards I returned to my parked park which had been there for about 3 hours, it was a cold evening so when I turned it on it struggled for a few seconds then cut off, no biggy, I simple turned it back on and it started and stayed on fine (obviously revs were low as engine was cold).

I then went to the back of my bike to take my chain off my back wheel, as I knee down on the floor some drunk moron ran over to my bike and rev'd ridiculously too much, he completely redlined it and probably bounced it off the limiter.

Of course I got up to confront the drunken idiot who I told to get lost before I wrapped my chain round his skull (I was very angry at what he had done) after he left I couldn't help but smell a burning smell around my bike, the smell quickly went away and after 10 minutes of just letting the bike tick over on its own without revving it at all I rode home (20 minute journey) and it didn't seem to be performing any differently.

However I'm a bit of a worrier and I care a lot about engine health etc, since riding mopeds at 16 I have always let my bikes warm up before taking them onto any roads where high rpm will be required and I have never redlined a bike in my life. So as you can imagine, my worries right now are all about my bike and any potential damaged the idiot could have done redlining my bike from cold (it was only on for about 20 seconds).

Was wondering what anyone thoughts were?

Sorry for the long story, I just really wanted to get the whole thing across.

Thanks.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
Re: Idiot rev'd my bike from cold
« Reply #1 on: 04 November 2016, 07:34:36 pm »
I reckon itll be fine mate.

Think all engines are bounced about the redline during the testing phase, not your particular one but a test engine. Plus the engine isnt brand new, well run in and well used no doubt. In my experience with engines they operate far better being thrashed rather than babied. Hopefully it was ticking over long enough for oil to get to the parts before the muppet got involved.
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 November 2016, 07:56:57 pm »
Moral of the story, don't start it up and then kneel down at the back to take the chain and lock off, that tosser could of knocked it into gear with your hands around the wheel
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Grant1Shepherd

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 November 2016, 08:02:12 pm »
Cheers mate. The engine is well run in its got about 34k on the clock, I just hope the oil had time to get everywhere as well, honesty don't understand what goes people minds at times, drunk or not.

acid drop

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Yamaha MT-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 November 2016, 08:04:56 pm »

Moral of the story, don't start it up and then kneel down at the back to take the chain and lock off, that tosser could of knocked it into gear with your hands around the wheel

Good point made here , and as modern bike engines are unburstable it will be fine,
« Last Edit: 04 November 2016, 08:06:01 pm by acid drop »

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 November 2016, 08:44:28 pm »
Why can't people like that foccin idiot just leave others' stuff alone?.

What a tosser >:

judder

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - Bandit 1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 November 2016, 09:06:43 pm »

Your bike will be fine ! If  it had only been standing for a few hours there would still be oil around the engine, protecting it, and probably not completely cold.
I know people who red line their bikes regularly. It does no harm once in a while, they are designed for it.
Just ride it, you'll soon forget about, and enjoy it !!

Grant1Shepherd

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 November 2016, 09:27:25 pm »

What a tosser >:

Tell me about it mate, honesty I don't normally agree with violence but my God I wanted to knock this guy out

Grant1Shepherd

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 November 2016, 09:28:24 pm »

Your bike will be fine ! If  it had only been standing for a few hours there would still be oil around the engine, protecting it, and probably not completely cold.
I know people who red line their bikes regularly. It does no harm once in a while, they are designed for it.
Just ride it, you'll soon forget about, and enjoy it !!

Will do mate. Thanks for the advice :)

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 November 2016, 03:39:50 am »
20 seconds?! That's a long time. I would have already knocked him out by then!
Your bike should be ok. The oil does sit around most of the critical points and even warming up it's doing over 1000rpm and circulating.
Obviously not recommended but your bike will be fine.
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 November 2016, 09:32:13 am »
The last time I changed my oil I did the correct filling procedure letting it settle for 10 or so mins and then slowly- gently topped it up to the mark, great !.
I did not ride it then for a few days but a day or so later the the oil level had gone up and then another day later it was beyond the sight glass, so it just shows you how much oil clings to all the parts and that was after a few days of standing, yours was even ticking over.

Which brings me to another point, starting the bike after standing for 2 or 3 weeks after the oil has drained from the parts, should I be doing anything in particular (apart from riding it more )     

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 November 2016, 09:44:03 am »
The last time I changed my oil I did the correct filling procedure letting it settle for 10 or so mins and then slowly- gently topped it up to the mark, great !.
I did not ride it then for a few days but a day or so later the the oil level had gone up and then another day later it was beyond the sight glass, so it just shows you how much oil clings to all the parts and that was after a few days of standing, yours was even ticking over.

Which brings me to another point, starting the bike after standing for 2 or 3 weeks after the oil has drained from the parts, should I be doing anything in particular (apart from riding it more )   

*NOTE:

Let it settle for ONE minute  ;)
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 November 2016, 09:59:05 am »

In answer to your question, just let it tickover for a while, to warm the oil up. If you're intending on riding it anyway then that's a plus, but if not just let it be, especially in very cold weather, as starting it up from cold, letting it run for a bit, then switching off will just cause condensation in your sump. That's when you'll get that milky shit on top of your oil 'cos the bike's not getting up to proper temperature to burn it off, then you'll think you have a head gasket leak.  :eek
Been there, done that.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05 November 2016, 10:38:10 am »

In answer to your question, just let it tickover for a while, to warm the oil up. If you're intending on riding it anyway then that's a plus, but if not just let it be, especially in very cold weather, as starting it up from cold, letting it run for a bit, then switching off will just cause condensation in your sump. That's when you'll get that milky shit on top of your oil 'cos the bike's not getting up to proper temperature to burn it off, then you'll think you have a head gasket leak.  :eek
Been there, done that.
Yep I only start it when I intend to ride it.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05 November 2016, 03:02:15 pm »
Don't worry about it no damage done. It's definitely not a good ideal to be revving a cold engine or to be sitting at 12,000 rpm all day but at the same time it is a 600cc inline 4 motorbike engine. They're designed and tuned to make their power up the rpm range. Taking it up above 10k is what an inline 4 is all about.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 05 November 2016, 03:17:34 pm »

I think he means the bike had been running for 20 seconds before twat-face came over and revved it, not that he was holding the throttle open for 20 seconds.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 05 November 2016, 04:13:56 pm »

Though what he did won't have done any damage at all, some arsehole thinking he had any right to touch my bike without permission would have tempted me to give him a Thatcham-approved beating too.
Then again, I'd have taken the security off first, then started the bike and ridden off. Never understood this fetish some have for filling the neighbourhood with exhaust fumes for ten minutes before putting the foccing thing in gear. Modern oils cling to surfaces for weeks, the camshafts are sat in a bath of it… no harm will come to the engine from being ridden straight away.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 05 November 2016, 05:03:41 pm »
Taking it up above 10k is what an inline 4 is all about.
mmmmmmmm 10k inline forrrrrrr

Grant1Shepherd

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 05 November 2016, 06:05:21 pm »
Hi guys

Just wanted to say a big thanks for all the comments on here that have eased my mind a little, normally I do take my security off before starting the bike but because it was so cold I just wanted to give the engine a few seconds or a minute to tick over while I got my chain off, however i'm sure this experience will make me think twice about that from now on

p.s yes I meant the bike had been on for 20 seconds, not the guy was holding my throttle for 20 seconds, it only took 3 seconds for me to bounce up and push the idiot away from my bike 

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 06 November 2016, 12:39:51 am »

What a tosser >:

Tell me about it mate, honesty I don't normally agree with violence but my God I wanted to knock this guy out

No damage done fella......buuuuuuuut I would have chinned the cnut for touching my bike  :grumble
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 06 November 2016, 01:00:00 am »

I think he means the bike had been running for 20 seconds before twat-face came over and revved it, not that he was holding the throttle open for 20 seconds.

oh yes, right you are. I'm a moron sometimes.

-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

Grant1Shepherd

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 06 November 2016, 02:08:24 am »

What a tosser >:

No damage done fella......buuuuuuuut I would have chinned the cnut for touching my bike  :grumble

Aha it's funny because I had just taken my huge chain off my back wheel and after I pushed him off my throttle it only took a little threat of being hit with my chain and he was off 😂😂

Grant1Shepherd

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 06 November 2016, 02:09:46 am »

oh yes, right you are. I'm a moron sometimes.

Haha I was thinking what kind of guy do you think I am letting the drunken idiot rev my bike full throttle for 20 seconds 😂

paulchucky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - fzs1000 01
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 06 November 2016, 07:01:40 pm »
grant the guy in question is a lucky person
had it been me n my bike the gent would of had the said chain n lock straight over his head
followed by several head butts and a severe punching
n i probabaly would of stamped on his head
but  ? ?  i do love my old boxeye  :2guns :2guns :2guns :2guns :2guns :2guns :2guns

waters wet, shit stinks !

Grant1Shepherd

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 06 November 2016, 07:45:48 pm »
grant the guy in question is a lucky person
had it been me n my bike the gent would of had the said chain n lock straight over his head
followed by several head butts and a severe punching
n i probabaly would of stamped on his head
but  ? ?  i do love my old boxeye  :2guns :2guns :2guns :2guns :2guns :2guns :2guns

Oh trust me, if he had of retaliated to my push on him I'd of wracked that chain round his skull before he could even blink, however as he was drunk and clearly brain dead stupid, I thought best to just let him go. Can't say I wasn't annoyed though.