Date: 01-05-24  Time: 07:51 am

Author Topic: Spitting Oil  (Read 1087 times)

Grant1Shepherd

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Spitting Oil
« on: 19 August 2016, 04:08:46 pm »
Hi guys

Just brought a 2001 FZS600, it has 2 out of the 4 carbs blocked and not working probably so the bike is not running at it's best anyway, but I went on Holiday for a week last week and when I came back yesterday I turned the bike on and all of a sudden it start throwing it's oil out all over the floor, I turned the bike off and it stopped and once I followed the trail of oil I could swear it was leaking from the upper part of the bike but could not find a definite location.

I went out, got some new 10w40 semi synthetic bike oil, put it in the bike and turned it on and ran it for about 5-10 minutes and this time it didn't leak a thing, was wondering if anyone could tell me what on earth happened? I'm having the carbs cleaned next week to hopefully have the bike working the way it should do.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: Spitting Oil
« Reply #1 on: 19 August 2016, 04:45:27 pm »
How much oil came out? You'd have to pin point where it came from

Grant1Shepherd

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 August 2016, 04:56:30 pm »
Enough to make it below the oil window, couldn't see any oil left in there, I think it was coming out near the carbs themselves

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 August 2016, 05:04:29 pm »
Presumably it was a private sale?

I'm clutching at straws here but i know when i bought my bike it had 4.5 litres of oil in it, 2 litres too much, and when i took it for a blast it leaked from the cam chain tensioner gasket.
So it's possible it may have had way too much oil in the first place, but leaking is never a good thing.
You need to clean the whole area of oil then see if you can spot where it leaks from after if you can't figure it out properly now.

Also was the oil you removed milky at all?
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Grant1Shepherd

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 August 2016, 05:13:21 pm »
Brought it from a dealership

It has been sitting for 5 years and when I brought it the dealership did a service on it (Oil and filter change) however they did not clean the carbs. I brought the bike and was ridding around with it fine, I went away for one week, came back, started her up and it just started shooting it out, the oil that came out was still golden so it looked new

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 August 2016, 05:18:56 pm »
If you bought it from a dealer bring it back and tell them to sort it. They might have overfilled it with oil. If there's too much oil in it it'll get pushed up the crankcase breather and into the airbox. You could take the air filter out and have a look for oil in the air box to confirm it but if I was you I'd be bringing it back

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 August 2016, 06:29:57 pm »
If you bought it from a dealer bring it back and tell them to sort it. They might have overfilled it with oil. If there's too much oil in it it'll get pushed up the crankcase breather and into the airbox. You could take the air filter out and have a look for oil in the air box to confirm it but if I was you I'd be bringing it back

Absolutely, i'd have it straight back in the shop.

Grant1Shepherd

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 August 2016, 06:53:53 pm »
I've taken some photos of where I think the oil was coming from if this helps

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 August 2016, 07:19:00 pm »
Hard to see anything from the photos, but if you wait until it's dark outside, use a torch to look again and it will show up a lot easier as the oil will glisten under torch light, and maybe you'll be able to pinpoint where it's coming from.
While you're doing this, i'll be in the pub.  :b

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 August 2016, 06:53:58 pm »

I agree with the other comments that it's been overfilled and the excess is getting blown into the air box. If the drain tube is off then it will get sprayed out over the rear of the carbs.

It might not have exhibited the problem while stationary because the gears wouldn't splash the oil about very much at low revs, the oil would be thicker as it's cooler and also it's not getting the extra quantity at the back that it does under acceleration.

What's worrying is that you say the oil level was low. Are you sure about that? It can be very difficult to seeā€¦ if you've a mate who can lean the bike over to the left while you peer in the window (a torch can help) you will hopefully find the level is very high.
Since you've topped it up yourself it'd be worth double checking that before taking it back to the dealer.

If the level really was low that would indicate excessive blow-by past the piston rings.