Date: 05-05-24  Time: 00:16 am

Author Topic: First Ride Part 1  (Read 3815 times)

Gem rod

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Fazer 800
    • View Profile
First Ride Part 1
« on: 09 July 2013, 08:16:15 pm »
First impressions very positive.  Perky engine,  firm gearbox although 1st slightly clunky.  Fueling is excellent and much better than my CBF600SA.  None of that judder when shutting the throttle off at low speed.  This is a known problem with some Honda bikes caused by the mixture being too lean. 

An all round excellent package.  Top box and rack on the way.  One decision to make is regarding the centre stand.  Do I or don't I.  I have asked the dealer to get me the two pins that are needed for the paddock stand.  Anyone use these? 

So far no complaints.  Off for a short ride in a few mins to see what the clocks look like in dusk.

Enjoy the pics.

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
Re: First Ride Part 1
« Reply #1 on: 09 July 2013, 08:41:53 pm »
Yeah, another Fazer8 owner  :woot

I've got the centre stand and you can get a bit more petrol in for an extra 10 miles range. It makes lubing the chaing easier if you are away from home and the paddock stand.

Mines got a slight judder when slowing down with a closed throttle in 1st at around 15mph. I've put it down to the end can. Its worse at altitude.

Gem rod

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Fazer 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 July 2013, 08:49:22 pm »
The judder sounds exactly like my CBF.  I ride around the problem either by pulling in the clutch early or just keeping a tiny bit of throttle on.  Quite annoying.  Some guy on the CBF forum fitted a power commander and cured the problem.  An expensive fix though bearing in mind that even with a new can he could only boast an additional 5 horses.

I like the idea of a power commander in principle although it's extra kit that could go wrong.  The CBF is another good all round bike but The fuelling issue just spoils it a little.

Glad to say that the Fazer seems perfect in this regard.

Did you fit the centre stand yourself?  Is it an easy fit?
« Last Edit: 09 July 2013, 08:51:26 pm by Gem rod »

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 July 2013, 09:53:11 am »
Very nice looking bike that :) ,especially in that colour.i think the fazer8 is definitely they way id go if i progressed onwards from my trusty 6.

I think the press are all excited about the new yam triple as if it will replace the fazer 8 but im not quite sure.

For example yesterday on a rideout,one guy was on a dealer borrowed bmw GS 1150 i think it was & ive been reading non stop hype about these machines but it just didnt seem to have it yesterday compared to our old 600's.

I can see these fazer 8's being an unsung hero in a few years & i wish i had the dosh to take advantage of the good offers.
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

Gem rod

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Fazer 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 July 2013, 04:17:39 pm »
I agree that the new MT09 isn't a Fazer replacement.  It has no fairing for a start and looks too much like a street bike.  The reason for buying the Fazer and before that my CBF 600 is that they are both good all rounders.  They can scratch as well as cruise with a bit of luggage.

Could well be a mistake to phase out the FZ8.

Now where can I go to burn up that 1000 mile run in?

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 July 2013, 06:39:26 pm »

Did you fit the centre stand yourself?   

No the dealer did it.

sure2ride

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • - Royal Enfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 July 2013, 01:24:52 pm »
Iv'e said it before, but here we go again...I've had a 600 foxeye and 2 Gen 1 1000's. They,ve all been stonkingly good bikes IMHO. Now I have a 2010 Fazer 8 and I love it, and think it's the best for me. My only criticism is that it doesn't have fully adjustable suslension, just rear pre-load, so I reckon the newer models are better and will be hard to beat. I think Yamaha will shoot themselves in the foot if the faze the faver 8 out  :) :) 
If you want to give God a good laugh, tell him your plans.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 July 2013, 07:56:50 pm »
Saw an unfaired Fazer 8 in Wales at the beginning of the week and thought, that looks good, before I even knew what it was. Faired or unfaired, IMO it looks a lot better than this new triple.

Andy FZS

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 July 2013, 08:13:49 pm »
I like the idea of a fazer8 and the colour above is gorgeous but somehow there just seems to be a lot of black? I wonder if a few chrome trinkets are available to give it some contrast......anyway were is my cheque book. ?