Date: 18-05-24  Time: 05:08 am

Author Topic: Sort of storing the bike & Torque Wrench question  (Read 1535 times)

HJFazer

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Sort of storing the bike & Torque Wrench question
« on: 30 October 2014, 11:52:35 am »
Hi,

So sadly I will be off the bike for two months due to shoulder surgery (courtesy of an old lady pulling out in front of me last year) and I wanted to get some advice on what I'd need to do if I'm not riding it for a while. :'(

I planned to start her up every weekend just to get the engine running etc, but is that enough? Any tips at all? She's stored in a garage so will at least be nice and dry.

Also, before I do put her away I need to get the chain tightened. Sadly my mate who had the tools to help with this has buggered off to Germany. I wondered how necessary a torque wrench was for the rear axel. I'm fairly sure last time we did it my mate just tightened to the point that he could. Do people use torque wrenches usually, or is it OK to do using a normal wrench?

Any tips etc will be great, I guess I'll have to turn into one of those people who spends the winter polishing their bikes... at least she'll be lovely and shiny in Jan/Feb when I can ride again  :D

Cheers

HJR

Arbie

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Honda Blackbird
    • View Profile
Re: Sort of storing the bike & Torque Wrench question
« Reply #1 on: 30 October 2014, 12:20:24 pm »
Hello mate. A torque wrench is a handy tool to have anyway in your kit. The Halfords ones are good. I do my axle up by feel but if you arent confident torqueing it gives piece of mind. Book says 117nm which seems a bit high to me. I torque at about 105nm...my Blackbird is only 93nm. Too tight and you risk the spindle breaking after time and too loose...well that's obvious. As for storage id recommend keeping the battery indoors and give it a little boost charge once a week. Make sure tyres are pumped up and im sure theres some stuff you can put in the tank to keep the fuel fresh. If you want a good clean then a good wipe over with acf50 will keep any corrosion at bay also give the chain a good lube before you store it. Im sure there's stuff ive missed but the foccers are a knowledgeable bunch.

robin78842

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - FJR 1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 October 2014, 12:25:43 pm »
I usually park mine at the front of my garage and connect it to the Optimate charger.  I try to start it for 10 mins once a month.   Don't worry about adjusting the chain until you want to ride it again.     I just tighten back Axle untill it's tight then give it another nudge.

If back Axle nut does come off the axle should at least stay put because of the bolts in the swing arm that tighten it on.
« Last Edit: 30 October 2014, 12:33:50 pm by robin78842 »

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 October 2014, 12:26:57 pm »

Yep battery out, fuel stuff in the tank, & dont start it again until youre ready to use it and youve done an oil change.

Theres 2 camps about this but basically starting it up now and gain is not enough to get it up to temeperature properly like if you were riding it under load so dont bother as you'll only end up with further emulsified oil and get problems.

I always go for one last big blast and give it some before storing......in my tiny mind i i agine that the heat when i store it is enough to evaporate so,e of the fuel still in the system....it probably isnt but ive certainly had no problems on starting up again.
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 October 2014, 01:13:13 pm »
With Noggy on this one.
Brim the tank, with some fuel stabiliser. Drain the carbs. Pop the bike on the centre stand, maybe take the battery out, and leave it. For a couple months I wouldn't bother changing the oil (unless you were going to do it anyway?) but then all you'll need to do is reconnect the battery, and start her up. Don't bother starting it up every week or so, no need and it'll do more harm than good!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 October 2014, 01:44:09 pm »
Keep starting it up in "The Coldest Winter In 100 Years" as I've just read in the daily rag, and you'll end up with a lovely mayonnaise on your oil cap.  :b
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.