Date: 28-03-24  Time: 12:33 pm

Author Topic: Paint equivalent  (Read 1739 times)

tomlinscote

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Paint equivalent
« on: 19 March 2017, 11:44:14 am »
Hi folks,
Recovering after hitting a tree and breaking my collar bone. Bike ok but needs the fairing/cowling sticking back together and then painting. Spoke to Yamaha and they don't sell the paint, silver tech 3 or S3 they said it was. Anyone know if there is a car paint that is a close match to that. Over here in France getting car paint is hard enough let alone bike paint. (I know rs paints do an exact match but that's £50 and the bike is 13 years old so the rest of the paint will be faded compared to the new paint.....)

Here's hoping, thanks

Tommo

bludclot

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Paint equivalent
« Reply #1 on: 20 March 2017, 08:05:16 am »

I don't know about France but here in the UK we take a piece of the vehicle to a paint factor and they match the colour there and then, thus achieving an exact (or at least very good) match to the actual colour, faded or not. Is that not an option for you?
is it clean enough?

tomlinscote

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 March 2017, 11:53:12 am »
It may well be an option for those who live in or near a large city but in the depths of rural country I am afraid it is not an option. Unfortunately I Have not seen many tractors in silver round here, shame as there are more tractor dealers than car or bike ones!
Cheers for the reply though!

T

Millietant

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Apr RSV, FJ1200, FZS1000 & 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 March 2017, 11:44:59 pm »
Hi folks,
Recovering after hitting a tree and breaking my collar bone. Bike ok but needs the fairing/cowling sticking back together and then painting. Spoke to Yamaha and they don't sell the paint, silver tech 3 or S3 they said it was. Anyone know if there is a car paint that is a close match to that. Over here in France getting car paint is hard enough let alone bike paint. (I know rs paints do an exact match but that's £50 and the bike is 13 years old so the rest of the paint will be faded compared to the new paint.....)

Here's hoping, thanks

Tommo

Hi Tommo - try these guys RS Bike Paint

http://www.rsbikepaint.com/en-gb/colours.php

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 March 2017, 12:02:21 am »
I don't think Tommo wants to stretch to RS prices, which is understandable.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Millietant

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Apr RSV, FJ1200, FZS1000 & 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 March 2017, 12:29:16 am »
Ah, I missed the reference in his original email.

I realise they're more expensive than Halfrauds etc, but "why spoil the ship for a ha'porth o tar". Going for a cheaper paint, or one that doesn't match perfectly will still likely cost £25-£30. It's seems strange to think that spending an extra £25 on the repair would not be worth it.

But, I suppose a bit of an old fart !

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 March 2017, 10:39:53 am »
Oh I agree. Do it right,do it once. :) I think the main concern is trying to match possibly faded paintwork which the rs paint would no doubt show up.A phonecall to them might be helpful Tommo to get their advice.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

bludclot

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 March 2017, 03:06:54 pm »

i'd post a part to a paint factor and ask them to match it for me....
is it clean enough?

tomlinscote

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 March 2017, 07:16:23 pm »
Thanks for the replies folks, i would agree get the best paint and do it right, if the bike was a minter, but it is a 13 year old machine used all year round stored outside as i have no garden or garage. So whilst it is mechanically in excellent condition the plastics are showing their age plus the cowling has suffered impact damage that i have had to fix with fibre glass. It goes against the grain to say that it is never going to look like it did before no matter how much time and effort i put into the fairing but that is the reality. At which point you might say well any ok silver will do then but i still want it to be a fairly close match.........

If the bike was worth anything for say px i would just buy a new cowling from Yamaha as they arrive painted, but even before the accident i was only offered £1500 against a £10k Honda machine and the local Yamaha people were not even interested at all, i quote "razer 1000s are obsolete and no one wants them any more" that was the yam dealer!!

I suppose i will just do the primer and wait till i visit the uk to get a near match, cheers anyway!